Manna

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Manna

Post by stuartcr »

What is manna? Did it really come from heaven?
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Manna

Post by 1over137 »

Question: "What was manna?"

Answer: During the forty years between the time the Israelites left Egypt and entered the Promised Land, they faced harsh conditions, including a scarcity of food. To alleviate this problem, God miraculously provided the Israelites with “bread from heaven,” called “manna.” The manna appeared each morning, and the Israelites were given specific instructions on gathering it (see Exodus chapter 16). What was manna? Interestingly, the Israelites asked the very same question: “When the people of Israel saw it, they said to one another, ‘What is it?’ For they did not know what it was. And Moses said to them, ‘It is the bread that the LORD has given you to eat’” (Exodus 16:15). The Hebrew word translated “manna” literally means “what is it?”

The Bible nowhere discusses the chemical composition of manna. All we are told is that “it was like coriander seed, white, and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey” (Exodus 16:31). Numbers 11:7 states that manna’s appearance was like “bdellium” or “resin.” Psalm 78:24 refers to manna as “grain from heaven,” and the next verse calls it “bread of angels.” So, manna seems to have been literal bread that God caused to miraculously appear each morning during the Israelites’ wilderness wanderings. The miracle of manna ceased shortly after the Israelites entered the Promised Land (Joshua 5:12).

Far more important than manna’s physical qualities is what manna foreshadowed. Manna is a type, or foreshadowing, of Jesus. After Jesus miraculously fed the 5,000, they wanted Him to “give us this bread always” (John 6:34). Jesus tried to get their attention off of physical bread and onto the true “bread of life.” “Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. . . . I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst” (John 6:32-35). Sadly, the people could not get their minds off of physical bread long enough to understand the spiritual truth Jesus was declaring (John 6:36-59). They were more concerned with the condition of their stomachs than the condition of their souls.

Just as God provided manna to the Israelites to save them from starvation, He has provided Jesus Christ for the salvation of our souls. The literal manna temporarily saved the Israelites from physical death. The spiritual manna saves us from eternal death. “Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die” (John 6:49-50).
Source: http://www.gotquestions.org/what-was-manna.html
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

So we don't know what it was, and it appears to have come from thee sky?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

You've heard that thunder is the sound of God bowling?

Well, manna is God's dandruff. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

That's sort of gross
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

stuartcr wrote:So we don't know what it was, and it appears to have come from thee sky?
We know it was white and like wafers with honey.
What more wouod we like to know?

It appeared each morning. If not provided by God then by whom?

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

According to the Israelites, the taste of the manna was Head and Shoulders, above anything else.

:bag:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Manna was not just food for the Israelites, but a "test" for them.
They were to trust that God would provide every day and NOT save anything for any manna that was saved spoiled right away.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

I know that. I just don't understand why this hasn't happened to the millions of others that have starved to death.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

And remember, they had to gather only enough manna each day, to sustain them until the next day. As PaulS said, it was also a test to see if they obeyed. When some gathered more than they needed, the extra was full of maggots the next morning. And since they didn't gather the manna on the sabbath, they were instructed to gather twice as much the day before the sabbath, to last through the sabbath.

So, 6 days, any left over till morning, was bad. But it was fine on the next morning, if it was the sabbath.

And not only that, the bible says they wouldn't even find any manna to gather, on the sabbath. So to me, it's pretty obvious that it was supernaturally provided by God. If it was purely natural, like from a plant or insect, as some contend, then how would it be on the ground every morning except the sabbath?

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

stuartcr wrote:I know that. I just don't understand why this hasn't happened to the millions of others that have starved to death.
You do realize that the bible is VERY clear that one God decides to intercede in the natural order of things it is for HIS reasons alone and they are not always clear to us NOR should they be.

People starve to death in a world that has enough food to feed the whole CURRENT population and then some.
So ask yourself WHY that happens and why, since humans have the power to fix this problem, why God should?

And before you say "because He is God" remember what that means and IF it is true and there is a God then ALL the rest is true to a life and suffering as you and I know it mean VERY LITTLE compared to what happens after.

So if you wanna judge God, you need to do it on HIS terms, not yours.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

1over137 wrote:
stuartcr wrote:So we don't know what it was, and it appears to have come from thee sky?

We would like to know what it was, because we have a hard time believing the story.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

PaulSacramento wrote:
stuartcr wrote:I know that. I just don't understand why this hasn't happened to the millions of others that have starved to death.
You do realize that the bible is VERY clear that one God decides to intercede in the natural order of things it is for HIS reasons alone and they are not always clear to us NOR should they be.

People starve to death in a world that has enough food to feed the whole CURRENT population and then some.
So ask yourself WHY that happens and why, since humans have the power to fix this problem, why God should?

And before you say "because He is God" remember what that means and IF it is true and there is a God then ALL the rest is true to a life and suffering as you and I know it mean VERY LITTLE compared to what happens after.

So if you wanna judge God, you need to do it on HIS terms, not yours.
Understanding what manna is/was helps to believe in the story.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

stuartcr wrote:
1over137 wrote:

We would like to know what it was, because we have a hard time believing the story.
If it was a mere bread would it not be so hard to believe the story?

I try to understand why exact composition of the manna would change something.

#foreverinmyheart
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Mere bread coming from the sky would be equally hard to believe.