Batting for the other team

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Batting for the other team

Post by PaulSacramento »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
the New Testament’s forceful rejection of homosexual behavior as well. In Romans 1, Paul attributes the homosexual desires of some to a refusal to acknowledge and worship God. He says, "For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a base mind and to improper conduct. . . . Though they know God’s decree that those who do such things deserve to die, they not only do them but approve those who practice them" (Rom. 1:26–28, 32).

Elsewhere Paul again warns that homosexual behavior is one of the sins that will deprive one of heaven: "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Cor. 6:9–10, NIV).

All of Scripture teaches the unacceptability of homosexual behavior. But the rejection of this behavior is not an arbitrary prohibition. It, like other moral imperatives, is rooted in natural law—the design that God has built into human nature.
It certainly would seem the bible has spoken on this topic. It equates homosexuality with any other sin that must be subdued within the person's ability to do so... but Paul also says this...
Paul comfortingly reminds us, "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it" (1 Cor. 10:13).
I think you are redefining lust there,
Lust is simply strong sexual attraction.
That doesn't automatically mean it is self-serving.

That said, I would agree that self-serving sexual desire is a sin.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

I think you are redefining lust there, ... very possibly correct Paul. Lust, to me, is a selfish act meant to satisfy whatever emotional/physical need you have. The physical side of : Lust is simply strong sexual attraction. must be initially controlled by the mind or will, or it will automatically mean it is self-serving

This is why it applies to both married and unmarried, heterosexual or homosexual, faithful or un- the act of lust IMO presupposes the desire of one for another in an objective, cold manner. It's about what can I get and how soon can it happen. That controlled portion you think may be another definition of lust, is IMO actually the definition of love. If you feel the love for another and will to combine such (lust like?) zeal with the love of God you have for that person, then it is not lust, but true love vigorously maintained.

That said, I would agree that self-serving sexual desire is a sin. here we meet again, as we often do, in agreement... our definitions may splinter a bit but the base is solid.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Kurieuo wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I have absolutely no problem with homosexuality between two consenting adults and I see no reason why there cannot be a commited relationship involved. Should it be marriage though? God created man and woman to live in union. But, it can be argued He created homosexuality too.

Love, genuine love, cannot be wrong can it?
Just for a matter for thought, I wonder if you are comfortable applying this logic to the following scenarios:

1) Brother-sister, father-daughter, mother-son relationships?

2) Adult-adolescent, adult-children relationships? Consider this:
  • "Pedophilia emerges before or during puberty, and is stable over time. It is self-discovered, not chosen. For these reasons, pedophilia has been described as a disorder of sexual preference, phenomenologically similar to a heterosexual or homosexual sexual orientation."
I believe Jac is correct in saying it's not just a matter of faith, but reason.
I mean if there are no good reasons, or it is simply a matter of faith -- such really boils down to "subjective" opinion. Right?

The reality is there are logical reasons and they can be deduced from an order found in natural law and psychological well-being.
We can objectively look to the order of nature (using a natural law theory) for insight into whether homosexuality is of a natural order or disorder.

In fact, remove all emotion and moral distaste, heterosexual pedophilia seems actually harder to try and pin as a wrongful disorder.
That said, we're sentient and psychological beings which also bare witness to an established order.
Can I ponder on this for a while?

Lots of initial reactions but I want to think this through again.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Jac3510 wrote:
neo-x wrote:I think gay people should be allowed to marry, why not. But that is just me, its against my faith, but then not everyone lives under or according to my faith.
If that were the argument against gay marriage, I would completely agree with you. And it is, in fact, the argument many, if not most, Christians use.

It is, however, the wrong argument. It is not the argument that has historically been used. The simple fact is that the definition of marriage is not a matter of faith. It is a matter of reason. And society has a vested interest in defining it a particular way. You you define it incorrectly, there are social consequences that seriously detract from the common good, and to steal and reverse a metaphor commonly used to describe economics, when the tide falls, all the ships fall with it.
And I agree but I also think this only addresses part of the problem. Reason doesn't, inherently, in all cases carry with it objectivity. While 2+2=4 is four always, x+y=z will always vary on the values of x and y. I think when you introduce the element of personal rights the values change and so does the outcome and that is why despite while the argument from reason as you cited is great and I tend to agree with it, it still fails to produce any result and part of the problem is that such argument does not solve the problem at all nor does it address the rights of the individual on their own self...which now seem to override this argument from reason, and I can see why.

It is like a law "you can't do this because of reason x, y, z" because it makes sense...to you. But the person on whom this law applies or you wish to imply has his own argument of reason and his values of x, y, z differ. Now comes the rights part, do his rights protect the value of his x,y,z or they don't?

As I said above and before, in principle I agree with the argument from reason and I have used it in the past but I find it useless now. The only question is, can reason(subjective in this case) alleviate the rights of a person to himself if the said person doesn't agree.

Now I presume you would advocate that this argument from reason is objective but I'll let you phase out more clearly your response on this.

Now which social consequences specifically, other than the reasonable institution of marriage, detract from the common good if Gay marriage is allowed?

All things considered my own conclusion is, it doesn't change anything more or less. Consider the following scenarios:

1. Gay people are not allowed to marry, protests continue and sooner or later, because of the rights of a citizen and tax payer - gays in this instance, win. Rights so far preserve the values a person places on themselves.
2. Gay people are allowed to marry, society has now two standards of marriage, gay marriages will always be in a minority. They can never really increase.

I'll give you an example.
When I was in highschool, I was made to read and recite the koran, everyday, it was a mandatory thing, I really had no choice. It was the law of the land. If I had a fair law at my disposal which protected my rights to my self and my values I could override such and such actions by whatever powers that may be. But it was because there weren't any I had to go through it.

I understand your argument but my experience tells me that a fair law which allows something broken to pass occasionally is much better than a broken law which is unfair every time it applies to someone. And out of this reasoning comes my support of the idea of gay marriage, the way I see it rights to yourself should be able to override laws which affect your values or reasons to be such and such.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD wrote:But Neo,

Isn't there a difference between having desires and acting on those desires?

I think that's all I'm saying. While attraction to the same sex is unnatural, I don't think it's necessarily a sin.

I know it's not exactly the same, because male to female attraction is natural, but what about this example:
I'm a married man. Is it a sin for me to find another woman attractive? I think it becomes a sin when I dwell on her, and start thinking lustful thoughts. And then, if I commit a sexual act with another woman, then obviously I'm sinning.

I kinda see same sex attraction in the same way. Lustful thoughts and sexual acts outside the bounds of marriage is a sin. Whether it's between two people of the opposite sex, or two people of the same sex.
Generally I agree but there is a reason why I called is a cold logic. I didn't say it was right or wrong because to me its a logic that won't connect to a person to have any effect, even if its correct. Its a philosopher's logic, heartless in my opinion.

There is very much grey in between the black and while you have given an example of. Is it a sin if you find a woman attractive or is it a sin if you think lustful thoughts about her? I'd go one step beyond and say it is those "lustful" chemicals in your brain which identified an attractive woman in the first place, the lustful thoughts are simply a consequence of it. Mainly the desire to have an attractive mate is what makes you notice someone in the first place and that is not very far from lust as we define it, since it is for the purpose of a sexual coupling that these thought emanate.

But put it practically, lets say I am a gay person, attracted to same sex and lets say I find a person attractive. Now you are telling me that attraction alone or the desire to have it is okay but to think of lustful thoughts is not okay. But where does one begin and the other end?

The thing to note is that such type of love and relationships are sexual in nature, always. There is no way to identify these otherwise. None. How can I feel physically feel attracted to someone and not think of intimate thoughts? Its not going to happen, even to expect it to happen is unreal.

By Christ words, if you looked upon someone with lust, then and there you have sinned, you don't need to do the act to actually sin.

And that is why I find it cruel to tell someone that they can have desires but not intimate ones. There is hardly a difference if the persons are sincere and not in any relationships, when they are not breaking any holy or legal oaths.

I think it would presumptuous of us to define whether its a sin in thought or act alone.

That is why I think in terms of all or nothing. It certainly odd to say you can think "purely" which is an unrealistic expectation since that relationship is bound to be physical...and the part that "feel it but you can't be physical" which becomes a contradiction of colossal proportions.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

what if you look on someone without lust but with some kind of emotional attachment..so theres longing thoughts...rather than lustful
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I understand Nessa, and think not all sexual thoughts are lustful, the desire for sincere intimacy is not lust. It is consequential to expect intimate thoughts in a relationship based on physical closeness and intimacy.

without.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Neo,

First let me say, as I said previously, I may be seeing a distinction between lust and attraction, when there's no distinction. So, I'm open to the possibility that's the case.

Neo wrote:
Generally I agree but there is a reason why I called is a cold logic. I didn't say it was right or wrong because to me its a logic that won't connect to a person to have any effect, even if its correct. Its a philosopher's logic, heartless in my opinion.
When I try to form an argument, or get my point across in situations like this, I try to make my point devoid of any emotional argument. Maybe that's why it comes across as cold. Because emotionally, I feel for homosexuals in this case. I mean seriously, who wants to deprive people of loving someone else? That to me, is the emotional side that I try to keep out of the argument itself.
There is very much grey in between the black and while you have given an example of. Is it a sin if you find a woman attractive or is it a sin if you think lustful thoughts about her?
I think it's when the lust comes in. I think it's fine to look at a woman, and say she's attractive. But then dwelling on her attractiveness, so I start thinking lustful thoughts, becomes a sin.
I'd go one step beyond and say it is those "lustful" chemicals in your brain which identified an attractive woman in the first place, the lustful thoughts are simply a consequence of it.
Do you have anything to back this up? Or, Is it just an opinion?
Mainly the desire to have an attractive mate is what makes you notice someone in the first place and that is not very far from lust as we define it, since it is for the purpose of a sexual coupling that these thought emanate.
Huh? I notice attractive people all the time, and I can tell you it's not because I have a desire to have an attractive mate. I already have an attractive mate.
But put it practically, lets say I am a gay person, attracted to same sex and lets say I find a person attractive. Now you are telling me that attraction alone or the desire to have it is okay but to think of lustful thoughts is not okay. But where does one begin and the other end?
I'm definitely saying that I think having lustful thoughts is sinful. I think having a homosexual attraction is unnatural. So, I guess that would mean maybe I'm saying it's not OK in that sense. But to call an attraction to people of the same sex as sinful, when the attraction itself may be out of the person's control, just doesn't sit right with me.
The thing to note is that such type of love and relationships are sexual in nature, always. There is no way to identify these otherwise. None. How can I feel physically feel attracted to someone and not think of intimate thoughts? Its not going to happen, even to expect it to happen is unreal.
You mean to tell me that every woman you find attractive, you think lustful thoughts towards?
That is why I think in terms of all or nothing. It certainly odd to say you can think "purely" which is an unrealistic expectation since that relationship is bound to be physical...and the part that "feel it but you can't be physical" which becomes a contradiction of colossal proportions.
I'm not without sin, but I've got to tell you, I have looked at plenty of women that I've found attractive, without thinking of lustful thoughts towards them. So, if I do it, certainly it's possible.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

neo-x wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:
neo-x wrote:I think gay people should be allowed to marry, why not. But that is just me, its against my faith, but then not everyone lives under or according to my faith.
If that were the argument against gay marriage, I would completely agree with you. And it is, in fact, the argument many, if not most, Christians use.

It is, however, the wrong argument. It is not the argument that has historically been used. The simple fact is that the definition of marriage is not a matter of faith. It is a matter of reason. And society has a vested interest in defining it a particular way. You you define it incorrectly, there are social consequences that seriously detract from the common good, and to steal and reverse a metaphor commonly used to describe economics, when the tide falls, all the ships fall with it.
And I agree but I also think this only addresses part of the problem. Reason doesn't, inherently, in all cases carry with it objectivity. While 2+2=4 is four always, x+y=z will always vary on the values of x and y. I think when you introduce the element of personal rights the values change and so does the outcome and that is why despite while the argument from reason as you cited is great and I tend to agree with it, it still fails to produce any result and part of the problem is that such argument does not solve the problem at all nor does it address the rights of the individual on their own self...which now seem to override this argument from reason, and I can see why.

It is like a law "you can't do this because of reason x, y, z" because it makes sense...to you. But the person on whom this law applies or you wish to imply has his own argument of reason and his values of x, y, z differ. Now comes the rights part, do his rights protect the value of his x,y,z or they don't?

As I said above and before, in principle I agree with the argument from reason and I have used it in the past but I find it useless now. The only question is, can reason(subjective in this case) alleviate the rights of a person to himself if the said person doesn't agree.

Now I presume you would advocate that this argument from reason is objective but I'll let you phase out more clearly your response on this.

Now which social consequences specifically, other than the reasonable institution of marriage, detract from the common good if Gay marriage is allowed?

All things considered my own conclusion is, it doesn't change anything more or less. Consider the following scenarios:

1. Gay people are not allowed to marry, protests continue and sooner or later, because of the rights of a citizen and tax payer - gays in this instance, win. Rights so far preserve the values a person places on themselves.
2. Gay people are allowed to marry, society has now two standards of marriage, gay marriages will always be in a minority. They can never really increase.

I'll give you an example.
When I was in highschool, I was made to read and recite the koran, everyday, it was a mandatory thing, I really had no choice. It was the law of the land. If I had a fair law at my disposal which protected my rights to my self and my values I could override such and such actions by whatever powers that may be. But it was because there weren't any I had to go through it.

I understand your argument but my experience tells me that a fair law which allows something broken to pass occasionally is much better than a broken law which is unfair every time it applies to someone. And out of this reasoning comes my support of the idea of gay marriage, the way I see it rights to yourself should be able to override laws which affect your values or reasons to be such and such.
Respectfully, I reject your premise. People do not have rights over their own selves. That is a western invention that is, frankly, absurd. It is rooted in a basic misunderstanding of the nature of free will. That is, the assumption is essentially libertarian: I can do whatever I want with myself so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

But that's just not true. And why should it be? Why should the "so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else" be the qualifier? This goes back to questions about OM that trolls like Kenny just can't get their minds around. And in some ways I don't blame them. They've been taught to accept as dogma something about "rights" that is just fundamentally false, and rather than being willing to entertain that notion seriously, they defend it with a ferocity that should be reserved only for religious truth. And perhaps there's an important reason for that . . .

But back to the point. We don't have the right to do with ourselves whatever we want. That's because we don't have the right to sin. If you want it in less biblical language, we do not have the right to act against our nature. We certainly are capable of doing so, but when we do so, we are against against nature and nature's God. Free will is not, contrary to popular Protestant opinion, the right to choose for ourselves between good and evil and suffer the consequences as we may. It is the right to choose between this good and that good. We NEVER have the right to choose evil, and I further submit that NO ONE chooses evil freely. They necessarily an always choose it under compulsion, which is why we wait for God's restoration of all things. That's why the redeemed in heaven will finally have a truly free will and will live truly free of sin. They will lack all compulsion to act against their nature, and so they will ALWAYS choose the good--exactly the reason Christ did so.

As such, I think you misunderstood the fundamental nature of my argument. I'm not saying something so trivial as heterosexual marriage is reasonable and make sense, but that homosexual marriage is unreasonable and doesn't make sense. I am saying that we can know, from reason alone, that marriage is by nature heterosexual; that the notion of homosexual marriage is an oxymoron because it is a violation of the very nature of marriage. And this is because the nature of marriage is born out of the nature of humanity. Homosexuality is intrinsically disordered. It is not wrong because it is unreasonable. It is unreasonable because it is wrong. And it is wrong because it is a violation of what we are as human beings. To act in homosexual ways is to act against our nature, which no one has the right to do.

Now, when you act against your nature, you can expect there to be harmful consequences. It is the nature of food to provide nutrition to the body. Literally, that which provides no nutrition is not food. Put a piece of bread on the table. It's food because it is nutritious. Leave it there for a month. What will happen? It will lose all nutritious value. It is literally, by nature, no longer food anymore. Now, it is the nature of the human body to consume food, and it does so via the mouth. You can therefore put bread in your mouth, which is natural, and when you do so, a natural good follows (you become nourished). But put the month old "bread" in your mouth and swallow it. What happens? Something bad. You get sick. You are not nourished. Why? Because you have acted against your basic nature. Your body, by nature, does not take in that sort of substance and get nourished from it. Instead, that substance when taken in the way food is supposed to be taken (do you see the teleology there? don't miss it!) has a negative impact on the body. And that negativity manifests itself in illness.

But let's press the analogy further. We know the nature of food is to nourish and the nature of the mouth and stomach is to take in and digest that nourishment. Suppose, then, you take in a good piece of bread. That is in accordance with your nature and it is good. But suppose you take another piece. And another piece. And another, and so on, until you are so full you are about to pop. I am speaking here of gluttony. Notice that gluttony is unnatural--just as unnatural as eating moldly "bread" is unnatural. For the nature of food and of eating is to nourish. But there comes a point in time that the body, because it is finite, cannot receive any further nourishment. Therefore, further food is no longer nourishing. Now you are taking in food against the body's nature. Why do you keep eating if you aren't getting nourishment? Probably because it tastes good. And here you have confused the primary or essential and to secondary or accidental aspects of food. It is essential that food nourish. It is accidental that food tastes good. So what happens is that gluttons keep eating not to nourish themselves but for the taste--and when they are no longer being nourished they continue to taste. But that is against their nature. And what is the effect? Sickness and, if the practice is continued, obesity and all the related medical problems.

Does this mean that gluttony is wrong because it produces obesity and related medical problems? No. It produces those problems because it is wrong, and it is wrong because it is a violation of our human nature.

And so it is with homosexuality. Just as the glutton does not have the right to overeat--they are doing so AGAINST their own natures--so homosexuals do not have the right to engage in sub-sexual acts with members of the same sex--the are doing so AGAINST their own natures. And we are not surprised when we see the society that embraces homosexual "marriage" to therefore suffer a range of consequences. If you want to see what they are, look at the overall Western birth rate. Look at the average age of our populations. Look at the rate of out of wedlock births. Look at the divorce rate. Look at the percentage of children in poverty.

You may say that such things are not related to gay marriage. You are wrong. For the same mentality that necessarily produces gay marriage is the same mentality that necessarily produces those social ills. All of those ills are related to a fundamental redefinition of marriage. In American history, that started in the 50s. We've simply been working out the implications of that redefinition over the past sixty years. The first implication was the creation of no-fault divorce on January 1, 1970 under Ronald Reagan in California. Things have progressed from there to the point we have reached today. The point is that all of those social ills are directly related to the redefinition of marriage that happened way back then.

The solution, then, isn't to embrace gay marriage as someone's right to be unreasonable. It is to begin to do the long and hard work of reestablishing the nature of marriage in a society that rejected that nature some sixty or seventy years ago.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

Here is a link to an article by someone who is gay and is also a Christian. It is called "Seven Things I Wish My Pastor Knew About My Homosexuality."

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2014/12/14149/

Another good source of information is the book Washed and Waiting by Wesley Hill. You can read a description of the book here:

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2011/ ... d-waiting/

There are a lot of gay people who are Christians and who accept the Bible's teaching that same sex marriage is wrong but their views are seldom considered in public discussions of the subject.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Theophilus,

That was a great article you linked. I wish views like hers were considered more in the discussions, as well. But maybe there's just not a whole lot of people who share her views.

Thanks for posting that article.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony