Batting for the other team

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Batting for the other team

Post by Nessa »

does anyone here think homosexuality and christianity can be in harmony with each other? Do you use scripture to back this up?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Batting for the other team

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:does anyone here think homosexuality and christianity can be in harmony with each other? Do you use scripture to back this up?
Depends. Define homosexuality.

The reason I ask you to define it, is because there are 2 common meanings in conversations like this.

1) the act of homosexual sex.

2) Having a sexual attraction to people of the same sex.

To me, 1 and 2 are not the same when it comes homosexuality and being a believer.

Depending on your definition(assuming it's one of the two I listed), I can tell you my opinion.

1) Homosexual sex is a sin. If you need scriptural backing for that, I can give it.

2) being attracted to someone of the same sex isn't necessarily a sin. If it's a lustful attraction, then I'd say it's a sin.

If you're asking if a homosexual can be a believer, then I'd say yes. Unless homosexuality somehow became the unpardonable sin.

If you're asking if homosexual sex(or any other kind of sexual sin) is compatible with Christianity, I guess I'd have to ask you if Christians still sin.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

so you can be a christian and live with the same or different gender and have sex cos christians arent without sin or would that make them not a true believer
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:so you can be a christian and live with the same or different gender and have sex cos christians arent without sin or would that make them not a true believer
I guess I'd have to ask you what makes someone a believer?

Is a believer someone who has trusted in Christ for salvation?

Or

Is a believer someone who has stopped sinning?

Living in sin is not what God wants a believer to do. Sinning always has consequences.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

but not eternal ones?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

1 John 3:9....Hebrews 10:26...just a couple but to me there is a difference between stumbling and willfully sinning
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

what about abortion...what if someone says they are a christian but gets abortion after abortion or even is the dr who does it is a christian. is that the same as living in sin with the same sex partner to you
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Homosexual desires are not natural for homo sapiens, we reproduce in a heterosexual way and sexual desires are direct towards reproduction ( biology 101).
If a person is born with homosexual desires as some say ( and I tend to agree), then it is a form of "birth defect" since, from a biological and evolutionary view point, the individual will be less prone to reproduce ( if at all) and pass on his genes into the next generation.

Biblically speaking, while homosexual desire is a sin ( as is the desire to steal or to be self- destructive or to be violent, etc) in need of redemtion, it is the ACT of homosexuality that is a far greater sin ( just as the act of stealing is far worse than the desire to cheat).
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Nessa wrote:what about abortion...what if someone says they are a christian but gets abortion after abortion or even is the dr who does it is a christian. is that the same as living in sin with the same sex partner to you
God will judge whether they truly loved him.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
Biblically speaking, while homosexual desire is a sin ( as is the desire to steal or to be self- destructive or to be violent, etc) in need of redemtion, it is the ACT of homosexuality that is a far greater sin ( just as the act of stealing is far worse than the desire to cheat).
I tend to disagree with the underlined. I don't think same sex attraction in itself is a sin. Unless by "desire" you mean lust. But the desire, or attraction itself, I don't think is a sin.

Here's an interesting article on the subject:
http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/is- ... attraction

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

great article..i enjoyed it...yes its hard to tell when temptation goes from no sin to sin..as you can sin with thought i believe...but as the article said jesus was tempted but was without sin
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I think if a person is homosexual, then it's alright because its how they're designed.
But, if a person is straight and they have homosexual relations then that's sinning. :econfused:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:I think if a person is homosexual, then it's alright because its how they're designed.
But, if a person is straight and they have homosexual relations then that's sinning. :econfused:
:swhat:
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Been thinking about this for a while, especially with the new marriage laws.

Homosexuality isn`t a choice, at least I don`t think it is, so I don`t believe who you are that is the sin but possibly the act of homosexuality is. God intended man and woman in union, I often wonder how and why homosexuality comes into it.

I don`t think being attracted to the same sex is wrong, or unnatural, it`s how you act on those feelings. I am still thinking this through as part of me thinks we all sin and we are, if we accept the grace of God, forgiven for our sins and none of us are sinless so why is homosexuality different to say my drinking?
Is it the struggle not to give in to the desire what matters?
Are homosexuals meant to live their life without love, without loving contact?

I see nothing wrong with love, even if it is between two people of the same sex. Better love like that than hatred and prejudice.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:I think if a person is homosexual, then it's alright because its how they're designed.
:swhat:
Yes, that's pretty much my reaction when Anglican priest over here said such nonsense.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)