Hermeneutics, Divine & Human Authorship & Age of Earth

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Hermeneutics, Divine & Human Authorship & Age of Earth

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:edit2: I feel the need to offer a second clarification. I think it's dishonest of Waltke to try to argue that TE is an acceptable understanding of Genesis 1 within the bounds of the HGM. In fact, in accepting TE, he has, in practice, repudiated the HGM. I want to be very clear on this. I was in no way attempting to portray him in a bad light or poison the well, but I'm afraid my comments may have had that effect. So let me be explicit here: I think Waltke's actual arguments (which you more than fairly represent, K!) are substantive, honest, and raise very important points that either need response and/or to be integrated into any hermeneutic we accept. The part that I see as dishonest is attempting to claim that TE is consistent with the HGM. That, and that alone, is the dishonest part. The reason I raised the point at all (and perhaps it was bad judgment on my part) was only to highlight the fact that different people sincerely hold to different beliefs that an honest commitment to the HGM would rule out.

In short, I'm accusing Waltke of inconsistency, of not following the very hermeneutic he has so avidly defended. I don't want that to get lost in these giant walls of text . . .
I guess it depends upon what Waltke means by TE being a "possibility", whether he is saying that some TE interpretation is a real alternative in Scripture. I'm not sure that is what Waltke means by "possibility". I'm not trying to defend him, but just trying to given a benefit of doubt to him.

What I see after researching this a bit, is that Biologos unfairly represented Waltke. By that, I mean they should have at least let him watch the video before running to release it and write up an article of well-respected Evangelical allowing for TE. I have not seen the original video since it was pulled down, because Waltke believed it didn't represent what he believed and things were misconstrued. I believe Waltke.

The way I see matters, is Waltke was caught off guard. I'm so precise when writing, but in speaking, by geez I've said some things that just come out so wrong. It's like I'm saying the opposite of what I'm trying to say. Waltke appears to have been too relaxed with his words and then caught in the crossfire of TE (BioLogos) vs DA (RTB) vs YEC (AiG). He should have been more careful with his words, and he admits he was hung by being too loose. But, under a stricter setting where we can re-read our words and get them down pat and as precise as we believe and intend... well the video didn't accurately represent his beliefs.

It seems to me that Waltke has not embraced TE in the context of having a real alternative Biblical interpretation that we can embrace.
Listen to him in the second video above. The reasoning he provides all comes from scientific quarters. Science-practicing Evangelical Christians whom he respects really do love God and virtue Scripture. BUT, Waltke firmly claims that he is all about Scripture. That he is a Creationist in apparent contrast to TE.

So, if I'm accurately reading Waltke, the possibility of TE for him is not so much found in Scripture but in science.

He mentioned so many respectable Christians believing in both evolution and Scripture, 45% or something in surveys conducted within Evangelical leaders of communities (which makes my own eyebrows rise! eck!), shows that the singing of songs against evolution in Sunday School is probably more harmful than good as that child grows and becomes "educated".

There really should be greater sensitivity shown towards evolution and more intellectual dialogue to at least more honestly represent it, especially if many within the church are closet TEs (that is me talking, not Waltke). That doesn't mean saying yes, it's an acceptable HG interpretation. Perhaps a little bit of interpretative rules wouldn't go astray in Sunday School but presented in a way children can kind of understand? Sunday School teachers might need to be upskilled a little though. But, I don't think it helpful to leave it at something like "this is the Word of God and anyone who disagrees doesn't have faith in Christ" -- that's not helpful to adults or children.

So while there is a possibility of TE, I'm not sure Waltke is really saying that TE is viable interpretation in Scripture, not by HG or ICBI standards. Unless you can find something to the contrary coming from Waltke directly?

Nonetheless, I certainly agree that TE that one definitely has to go the route of allegorisation. If Waltke says anything less, then he is either being dishonest and hasn't applied the HG rules according to ICBI standards, or knows about Scripture I haven't read. The Framework is one interpretation, and I do see theological merit to some thoughts in that. Such structures aren't foreign. But, it is one thing to say that such was used, another to then make it a free-for-all of what is meant when applied back into a historical setting.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:Public note: please see my second edit in my post above re: Waltke and my charge of dishonesty. Could be important to how the conversation continues and clarify what I was attempting to argue there. Thanks for the patience and sorry for the lack of clarity there.
Just be thankful Biologos didn't run with it. ;)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I was just taking him at his word when he wrote,
The best harmonious synthesis of the special revelation of the Bible, of the general revelation of human nature that distinguishes between right and wrong and consciously or unconsciously craves God, and of science is the theory of theistic evolution. By "theory," I mean here "a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for the origin of species, especially adam," not "a proposed explanation who status is still conjectural." By "theistic evolution" I mean that the God of Israel, to bring glory to himself, (1) created all the things that are out of nothing and sustains them; (2) incredibly, against the laws of probability, finely tuned the essential properties of the universe to produce adam, who is capable of reflecting upon their origins; (3) within his providence allowed the process of natural selection and of cataclysmic interventions--such as the meteor that extinguished the dinosaurs, enabling mammals to dominate the earth--to produce awe-inspiring creatures, especially adam; (4) by direct creation made adam a spiritual being, an image of divine beings, for fellowship with himself by faith; (5) allowed adam to freely choose to follow their primitive animal nature and to usurp the rule of God instead of living by faith in God, losing fellowship with their physical and spiritual Creator; (6) and in his mercy chose from fallen adam the Israel of God, whom he regenerated by the Holy Spirit, in connection with their faith in Jesus Christ, the Second Adam, for fellowship with himself
I would also note that in the paragraph before, he states plainly that "the Biblical account represents God as creating the cosmological spheres that house and preserve life in six days, each presumably consisting of twenty-four hours. But how closely this cosmology coincides with the material reality cannot be known from the genre of an ancient Near Eastern cosmology, which does not attempt to answer that question." He then has a reference to an end note at the end of that sentence, and that footnote says,
The renowned theologian B. B. Warfield supported the concept of biological evolution. . . . James Orr . . . argued that "evolution is coming to be recognized as but a new name for 'creation,' only that the creative power now works from within[/i, instead of, as in the old conception, in an external, plastic fashion.

One other footnote from the original paragraph cited above states that Waltke was "helped in reaching this conclusion [that "the best harmonious synthesis of the special revelation of the Bible . . . and of science is the theory of theistic evolution"] by Fransic S. Collins, The Language of God," which is, of course, a classic defense of theistic evolution.

That looks to me like as strong an endorsement of theistic evolution as one could make, but maybe this scholar of scholar who is by all other accounts very careful with his words just got extremely sloppy here?

Regardless, though, again, I didn't mean to make this about Waltke himself. TE, DA/PC, or even the HGM doesn't rise or fall on his consistency or lackthereof. I just thought his own position illustrated well a general point I was trying to make.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Jac wrote:

edit2: I feel the need to offer a second clarification. I think it's dishonest of Waltke to try to argue that TE is an acceptable understanding of Genesis 1 within the bounds of the HGM.
Jac,

Where did Waltke say this? I just watched a short video, and it wasn't on that one. Unless I missed it.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:I was just taking him at his word when he wrote,
The best harmonious synthesis of the special revelation of the Bible, of the general revelation of human nature that distinguishes between right and wrong and consciously or unconsciously craves God, and of science is the theory of theistic evolution. By "theory," I mean here "a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for the origin of species, especially adam," not "a proposed explanation who status is still conjectural." By "theistic evolution" I mean that the God of Israel, to bring glory to himself, (1) created all the things that are out of nothing and sustains them; (2) incredibly, against the laws of probability, finely tuned the essential properties of the universe to produce adam, who is capable of reflecting upon their origins; (3) within his providence allowed the process of natural selection and of cataclysmic interventions--such as the meteor that extinguished the dinosaurs, enabling mammals to dominate the earth--to produce awe-inspiring creatures, especially adam; (4) by direct creation made adam a spiritual being, an image of divine beings, for fellowship with himself by faith; (5) allowed adam to freely choose to follow their primitive animal nature and to usurp the rule of God instead of living by faith in God, losing fellowship with their physical and spiritual Creator; (6) and in his mercy chose from fallen adam the Israel of God, whom he regenerated by the Holy Spirit, in connection with their faith in Jesus Christ, the Second Adam, for fellowship with himself
I would also note that in the paragraph before, he states plainly that "the Biblical account represents God as creating the cosmological spheres that house and preserve life in six days, each presumably consisting of twenty-four hours. But how closely this cosmology coincides with the material reality cannot be known from the genre of an ancient Near Eastern cosmology, which does not attempt to answer that question." He then has a reference to an end note at the end of that sentence, and that footnote says,
The renowned theologian B. B. Warfield supported the concept of biological evolution. . . . James Orr . . . argued that "evolution is coming to be recognized as but a new name for 'creation,' only that the creative power now works from within[/i, instead of, as in the old conception, in an external, plastic fashion.

One other footnote from the original paragraph cited above states that Waltke was "helped in reaching this conclusion [that "the best harmonious synthesis of the special revelation of the Bible . . . and of science is the theory of theistic evolution"] by Fransic S. Collins, The Language of God," which is, of course, a classic defense of theistic evolution.

That looks to me like as strong an endorsement of theistic evolution as one could make, but maybe this scholar of scholar who is by all other accounts very careful with his words just got extremely sloppy here?

Regardless, though, again, I didn't mean to make this about Waltke himself. TE, DA/PC, or even the HGM doesn't rise or fall on his consistency or lackthereof. I just thought his own position illustrated well a general point I was trying to make.

This will be my last on Waltke, as it really is a side issue -- as you say TE, DA/PC, HGM doesn't rise or fall on his consistency.
I'm also interested in hearing your commentary on my Sabbatical interpretation so... ;)

Firstly, his definition here of Theistic Evolution isn't necessarily the same as the normal TE shtick. Theistic Evolution is often defined in more impersonal terms. Something like God creating an initial seed to life that everything then evolves from without God's further intervention.

Waltke here is defining Theistic Evolution as God being involved within the process. Using it as a tool of creation that He is still directly involved within such that adam (man) is directly created by God with a spirit.

That is a big difference in the type of Theistic Evolution that Neo-X would embrace, where God is not involved within the process at all.

And personally, I'm not sure what to make of that. God did allow the trees to grow. It's not something I've given much reflection on. If I was convinced by the science, maybe I would consider it more. But, evolution just doesn't do it for me.

BUT, what you quote, nonetheless appears damning. Personally I'm ultimately confused by what Waltke actually believes. I am leaning towards the belief that he is actually inwardly conflicted and unsure. Perhaps it's best to leave him on the fence.

This inner conflict seems apparent in the video where he tries to explain what happened with Biologos and all the gossip that went on thereafter.

He starts his conversaion it seems by trying to give TE some justification in Scripture by pointing out chronological sequence of creation is different in Gen 1 and Gen 2. There are some easy ways to reconcile this though, in particular chronology is more important in Gen 1 whereas mankind in the focus in Gen 2. I'm sure Waltke has to be aware to this, since it is the approach his friend Geisler takes. Yet, maybe he's just trying to create a "possibility". Right? Doesn't mean it's right.

BUT then, it seems Waltke starts to realise it looks like he is Scripturally trying to justify Theistic Evolution (which he is!). But, then he stops himself, and declares:

• 4:20 "I am absolutely persuaded by the truth of the Bible. That is where I am. I might be open to believe that something is possible, but I really believe in the word of God. That is my deepest... I cannot deny that... I know.. I mean that is just fabric to me.

So the problem with that Bio[logos]... YouTube... it looks as though I was putting science... that, that has to be real -- that's not me at all. So I am fundamentally committed that God is truth and His word is truth, and that Christ is truth. And so... I don't buy into a correspondence theory."

and then later on...

• 9:34 "I know who I am... and I've been teaching... I've been saying... mind me... I do not believe, in, theistic evolution. I believe in the Bible. I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe that creation by the process of evolution is a possibility. That's a big difference. It's not that I... because I know the problems of science. I know that I can't rest myself on man's limited knowledge -- I mean that's fundamental to good reformed epistemology. I first of all believe with spiritual conviction. I'm totally convinced by the Spirit that this is the word of God.

Note, that part in bold. It really appears when it comes down to it that he believes Theistic Evolution is incompatible with the Bible. But, given the fumbling of his words, not to mention what you quoted of him, he's obviously conflicted. Perhaps this conflict arises out of his desire to not have Christians loose their faith when older? The emotion surrounding that, is actually making him want to read an allowance into Scripture for TE. BUT, then, you know he's taught... he's always said... that he doesn't believe in evolution etc.

The more I think on it, the more it seems he's conflicted. I'm probably repeating myself a little, but I see the conflict perhaps arising because he wants to be more accepting to those good Christians who do also believe in evolution, rather than necessarily seeing Scripture as really supporting such. And so his thoughts become muddled by emotion. You know, like you mentioned earlier of a family member's emotions clouding their theology when someone in their family is dying. That's what I'm seeing in Waltke. A little irony eh?

Ahh well. I enjoyed looking into Waltke a bit more, but moving on. :P
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Very quickly, before I get into K's sabbatical interpretation (which I'm very impressed with, btw!), I want to affirm what he said here. Discussions like this can get heated, or they can at least appear to get heated, simply because there are direct and irreconcilable disagreements about fundamental issues. I hope it goes without saying that none of these disagreements mean that anyone is challenging anyone's Christianity or salvation or love for God or anything else along those lines. And that is not to say that this discussion and these disagreements are not important. All sides think that they are, and I think that is actually where it gets the most emotional. We start pointing out what we see as the consequences of these views, and people start getting upset.

I'd also add that K and I have a very long history--over ten years posting on these boards together. We've both watched each other grow a lot in our faith and understanding of these matters. We can probably get away with talking more directly to one another than some people are comfortable with . . .

So what I'm saying is that I love K and I know he knows that and he loves me and I know that, and given that mutual appreciation we can sometimes be extremely direct. We have very thick skin between us, because we know that any barbs and statements of disagreement aren't intended to harm. We're just talking about ideas. Very important, very personal ideas, but they are ideas nonetheless. I just hope everyone hears my heart in my responses. I know it doesn't always come through in the language. And the same is true for K. I'm pretty sure I hear his, and I hope others do as well. Whichever side of the debate you are on, I hope you don't get too excited when you see a "barb" you agree with and not too offended when you feel your position has been attacked. Because, in the end, we should ALL be on the same side: the side of truth. We should ALL be humble enough to acknowledge that when we are wrong, we absolutely need to change our views. And when we are on the right side, we should be gracious enough to allow others to save face. And when we are convinced we are right, we should be humble enough to state our case firmly but allow for the very real possibility that, in our finiteness and unfathomable ignorance, it is very possible that we are just so wrong that we can't even see it.

I'm not asking for self-doubt. I'm asking for the grace and humility to love each other enough to be bluntly honest and yet to receive disagreement with an open heart. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Was that the preamble to the forthcoming verbal attack on poor Kurieuo?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Haha not at all. I'm still working on my rely though. Hope to have it posted tonight.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

:lol: Oh dear, I'm [em]bracing myself now for support.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Ok, THE BIG POST :)

Let's look at this Sabbatical Interpretation K has offered us. First off, I'll say that I am highly impressed by the reasoning you've offered, K. I don't think you'd be surprised to find that there are some places I'm not totally sold on and some details I think need to be ironed out. But while I'll talk about those below, I want to say up front that I think, on the whole, "I can sign that contract" as my uncle would put it. So definitely far more agreement than disagreement. I guess it remains to be seen how substantive and substantial the disagreements turn out to be. I know you offered a high level presentation, so maybe as we get down to the nuts and bolts we'll find out that we're on the same page after all. Maybe not. I don't know! That's part of the excitement. :)

Anyway, for reasons of both manners as well as good logic, I want to establish a few things I find highly commendable and that I very much agree with. Obviously, I'm happy to see that you've stuck with the HGM, even the narrower version that I'm promoting. As I said to ACB above, the real issue in all of this to me is hermeneutical, and it would feel sort of anti-climactic to go through all of this work and find out that the real reason we disagree is because we have a different method of reading the Bible. Regarding the method, I do think it is worth highlighting a couple of things that I was a little confused on that perhaps are no disagreement at all.

One such point was when you said that you “believe it is more reasonable to think that God communicated a fuller understanding of the creation events to Moses.” As I noted above, I don’t see that this is much of a problem between us. The question is, and only is, what did Moses intend his words to mean? I have no problem with the idea that he and God talked about things, that he received special revelation, and that he wrote down those ideas. With respect to the yomim, that would either mean that Moses knew that God created in six long, undefined periods of time and chose to use the word yom in that particular capacity (as that is within the words semantic range), or else either God did not create the world in six long, undefined periods of time or God did and Moses didn’t know that and he therefore chose to use the word yom in apparent ignorance of the historical facts.

So to direct my fire at the traditional DA approach for a moment, it seems to me that we either have to claim that Moses knew God created the world in six long, undefined periods of time and chose yom to signify that truth—in which case, we ought to translate the word as “age” rather than “day”—or else Moses’ cosmology is mistaken strictly speaking. At best, we have to redefine the doctrine of inerrancy here, and at worst, we have to be willing to claim that at least Genesis 1-3, if not 1-11 and possibly all the rest of the Bible, is mythical.

Your idea is intriguing because it gets past most of the blunt force of what I said just above. Your six-one pattern is, I think, fundamentally correct. Moses depicts God creating in six days and resting on the seventh. The question is whether or not that actually happened in real history. Did God actually create in six days and rest on the seventh, or did He not do so and we’re misreading the text?

I think you are trying to affirm the latter. You claim that “it is more the case that Moses would have understood the full implications of ‘day’ in Genesis 1 as something akin to a ‘phases’ or ‘periods’.” This is the part I think you need to focus on more. Let me revisit what I said earlier about the idea of fuller implications:
There is a critical distinction to be made here between interpretation and application. Psalm 22 is applied to different people differently. David could never have known all of those applications (although God certainly did). In particular, he didn’t know how it would apply to the Messiah, only that it would (for it applies to all people: that was his point!). So let me say this clearly: there is one meaning or interpretation; there are many implications or applications.
I want to get a little more technical here and flesh out this distinction.

Interpretation deals with finding the referent of a word, phrase, sentence, paragraph, etc. If I say, “that tree is huge,” the referent of the word “tree” is the particular tree in reality I am talking about—or, to be tautological, the tree to which I am referring. Now, I contend that except in cases of figurative language such as double entendres (a biblical example being John 3:3, “born again/from above”), there is always and only a single referent. Once we discover the referent, we may say we have discovered the “meaning.” As such, I contend that, with exception to certain figures of speech, whatever text we are dealing with has only a single meaning/interpretation. If we claim it means something other than what it refers to, we have made an error in discovering the meaning of the text (and so, of the author).

The case is different when we consider application. There can be as many applications of a text as there are people who read it. I may be able to apply the fact that the true is huge (the one meaning) and say that I can build my daughter a tree house. Unfortunately, our language gets a little sloppy here and we often confuse “meaning” with “application.” Consider these applications of the tree’s size in terms of meaning: That three is huge . . .
  • . . . That means that it would make a great treehouse!
    . . . so it wouldn’t be a good idea to try to cut it down.
    . . . so I ought to have enough firewood this year.
    . . . I’m going to enjoy its shade this year.
    . . . I bet that’s why my grass isn’t growing very well back there
So in all of these examples, what is happening is we are basically drawing a logical inference or deduction of what we can or can’t, ought or ought not, do given the tree’s side.

A good homiletician recognizes this distinction and uses it in sermon/lesson preparation. To illustrate, I’m going to steal an example from Tony Guthrie’s book Crossing the Homiletical Bridge. He looks at Mark 1:1-8 and breaks it down this way:
  • Main Idea of the Text : Mark was letting his readers see the impact of the ministry of a God-called and appointed servant in order to demonstrate his (John’s) effectiveness in ministry.
    Thesis: Modern Christians should recognize that God desires to use each of us in effective ways for His purposes as He used John the Baptist.
    Proposition: I want my listeners to understand that modern Christians should recognize God’s desire to use each of us in effective ways for His purposes as He used John the Baptist
So the main idea, the single meaning, the interpretation of Mark 1-8 is that John the Baptist, who was a common man (notice he never did any miracles!) was the frontrunner of Christ and used greatly for His glory. We start to shift towards application when we note that (per the thesis) we common people can be used greatly for his glory. And application virtually makes itself when you ask how we can be used greatly. Sticking with the text, Mark 1:1-5 reveals that John’s ministry was connected to the power of God and Mark 1:6-8 reveals that John’s ministry was complimented with humility: our own ministries ought to be connected with the awesome power of God and complimented with a heart-felt humility. And how that plays out—how it applies—in your life is certainly going to be different how it (that is, how this one truth) plays out or applies in my life.

Having said all that, I go back to the “days” of Genesis 1. You’re agreeing (at least for the sake of argument) that Moses makes use of six “ordinary days” to set up this six-one pattern. The applications for that are many. The seventh year sabbatical, the year of Jubilee, and of course the Sabbath itself are all applications of this principle. Tie this in with the greater principle of Genesis 1—namely, that God is a God of order, and that creation is as much about establishing order (which is His very nature) as it is about creation ex nihilo—and we can see that rest and worship are both part of the very intended order of things. How fitting, then, to take this day of rest and use it to honor the God who gave us both work and rest!

So there’s some great theology here. I’m just a bit fuzzy on how we can use the idea of application/greater implications of an ordinary day to see greater periods of time. Let me give you another example that will either clarify my objection and/or give you some tools to further refine your position here. Consider John 11:50, “You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish.” This is a great, biblical example of someone speaking better than they knew. The meaning is clear. Better Jesus die than all of Israel be destroyed by Rome. Granted Caiaphas’ motivation for hoping for the death of Jesus was different than God’s—that is, he made a different application than John did—but the basic point is the same regardless. But in what sense would we say that Moses was speaking “better than he knew”? It isn’t on the level of intentionality. Caiaphas knew what he meant, and what he meant is exactly what happened. What he was wrong about it why it was better for Jesus to die. Or further, while he was right as far as he thought that Jesus’ death would be better than the whole nation’s destruction, he either failed to consider or was wrong in denying that Jesus’ death would actually bring blessing to the nation of Israel (a blessing which, I would add, is still future on my own eschatology!). But if Moses is depicting creation is six ordinary days, how do we “apply” this to say that it really “means” a very long period of time?

A possible way forward might be in your claim that Genesis 1 is prophecy of a sort. You say,
  • The fuller implications being that yom also carries a greater implication than an ordinary day. One that "foreshadows", only casts a shadow backward over, the actual creation event (when God actually created) wherein the fuller implications are realised. This is in essence a “reverse prophecy.”
I have no problem with the temporal issue. And I’ve actually thought for some time now that Genesis 1 might be best understood as more related to prophecy than, say, the strict historical narrative of the Chronicles. Again, while I want to emphasize we might be on the right path, this stuck out to me like a sore thumb:
  • To state another way, it’s just our human knowledge that needs to catch up in order to realise the fuller implications that God intended in the text.
I’m afraid the underlined part unintentionally gets us back into two intentions—a separation of the divine and human intention—that I’ve long rejected for reasons I’ve already outlined. To use prophecy as an example, it may be true that a prophecy is applied in a surprising and even unexpected way. What’s not and never is surprising is that the prophecy is fulfilled as it is written. Those later, unexpected fulfillments do not change the meaning of the original prophecy. So if Moses prophesied that the world was created in six ordinary days, how can we later say that the world was literally created in six very long periods of time? It seems we are back to using the yomim as a literary device, such that there is no literal, extra-biblical referent for the word “day.”

That view doesn’t necessarily have to say that the Bible is wrong or errant. It would only be wrong if Moses not only intended the “days” to refer to “ordinary days” and to teach that God literally and historically created in such a manner. If you want to say that Moses knew that the ordinary days he spoke of were literary devices, then there is no necessary contradiction with reality. I wonder if this might be what’s in your mind, even if only in seed form, when you say,
  • Clearly the pattern being followed is akin to that set in Genesis. And yet, at the time that Moses wrote Genesis it seems to me that Israel would have been fully practicing observing the Sabbath.
    Here is an important point to grasp — just because Genesis is read and written chronologically from earlier to later, doesn’t mean that Moses and the audience at the time were not fully aware to the Law and social practices like keeping the Sabbath. If we assume Moses as the author, then Genesis would have likely been written at a time when Israel were settled.
Perhaps you are thinking that Moses took an existing structure—the seven day week with the Sabbath as a time of holy rest—and tailored the creation narrative around that idea. In other words, we have a question: do we have a seven day week with a rest on the seventh (that is, do we have a six-one pattern) because God so created the world; or is God depicted as so creating the world because we have this six-one pattern? Which is the original, and which is the copy?

I would insist that we don’t answer this question based on our preexisting theologies. We need to answer it on exegetical grounds. And if we decide that the yomim are mere literary devices, such that creation is patterned after the six-one pattern so common in Israel life, what about Adam, Eve, the Tree of Knowedge, of Life, etc.? And what is the evidence for the answers we provide to these questions?

On a final note, you say,
  • To conclude, I want to stress this was just an exercise. I believe God could have, and did, communicate the full creation to Moses. Moses may have had this via dream and flow of time showing that the periods were greater than a 24-hour day, or God and Moses may have simply had several direct exchanges. Why not?
I want to emphasize, again, that I don’t have any problem with God communicating his full intentions to Moses. Again, that is my very idea of inspiration. If Moses intended the yomim to mean long periods of time, then I claim that the referent for the word was not an ordinary day but rather a long period of time. Therefore, we ought to translate the word “age.” If he intended it to refer to ordinary days but if he knew it actually referred to long periods of time, we have to show within the text that Moses is intending to use them as a mere literary device (akin the Framework hypothesis’ conception).

And just to further clarify, my problem isn’t with yom itself being able to be understood a longer periods of time on the level of application rather than meaning/interpretation. But given the fact that I don’t think an application can ever change the original meaning, the problem I’m having trouble getting past is how Moses could have intended ordinary days and actually thought that the historical days answered to real things in history and then the claim that later Scripture adds this new meaning of long periods of time. It seems to me that if the long periods of time are there in the word, then we have to show either that Moses originally intended the long periods (which would require a translation of “age”) or else Moses originally intended the ordinary days to be literary devices that he knew did not answer to anything in history proper. You've done a good bit of that foundational work by noting and making central the six-one pattern. I think the parallels to Egyptian cosmology are probably in your favor, too. But it does seem that you have some more work to do here.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

This just came to mind while reading your response, Jac. And as I'm kinda thinking out loud, I see three possibilities which Moses was trying to convey:

1) that Moses knew, and meant yom to mean 1 twenty four hour day.

2) that Moses knew, and meant yom to mean a long, but finite period of time(an age).

3) that Moses didn't know how long the creation days were. Only that God revealed to him that they were 6 consecutive periods of time, with one other period of time as rest.

Can someone tell me why #3 can't be possible?

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

The problem with 3 is that you are basically appealing to a dictation theory. You need later revelation to define what the word means, such that Moses didn't even know what his own words meant. Now we're back to the two meanings theory again. After having gone through all this (and I do want to address me of K's other points with respect to various authorities who embrace OEC), it seems to me that the only way to reconcile Gen 1 with an old earth, given that Moses uses the word yom, is to see yom as a literary device with no extra-textual referent (sort of like the Framework hypothesis does). That's not necessarily a bad thing. It could go well with the two main point's K brought up--the six-one pattern and the comparison to prophecy. That could also be consistent with the HGM if you can justify it in the text itself, that is, if you can show that Moses was trying to set out certain ideas through literary means rather than tell a historical account of creation itself. At least, that's what it seems like to me. I do want to offer some thoughts on that later, particularly with reference to Egyptian cosmology.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:The problem with 3 is that you are basically appealing to a dictation theory. You need later revelation to define what the word means, such that Moses didn't even know what his own words meant. Now we're back to the two meanings theory again.
But in my #3 example, I'm not saying Moses didn't know what the word means. It has more than one literal meaning. I'm not saying he didn't know that. I'm just saying that maybe the length of time really wasn't relevant to what Moses was saying. Maybe the 6 to one pattern was what God told Moses to convey.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth...

We now know that the Big Bang is compatible with that verse. Did Moses know that?

We now know the earth is really old. Did Moses know that?

And there's still the issue of the ongoing 7th day, where God is still resting from His creating acts. Why would all 6 days mean 24 hours, but the 7th is a long age?

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Words can have more than one meaning, and therefore it is possible that our words can mean something other than what we intended. What is not possible is for us not have an intention when using a word. When Moses said that God created in six yomim, he intended that word to have a particular referent.

I see four logical possibilities here that strike as as logically exhaustive.

1. He intended for it to refer to an ordinary day (in which case we translate it "day") and he intended to give a historical explanation of the origins of the earth (in which case he taught what is commonly called YEC);
2. He intended for it to refer to an ordinary day (in which case we translate it "day") but he did not intend to give a historical explanation of the origins of the earth (in which case, the word yom has no historical referent and is a literary device of some type);
3. He intended for it to refer to an unspecified period of time (in which case we translate it as "age") and he intended to give a historical explanation of the origins of the earth (in which case he taught what is commonly called OEC);
4. He intended for it to refer to an unspecified period of time (in which case we translate it as "age") but he did not intend to give a historical explanation of the origins of the earth (in which case, the word yom has no historical referent and is, again, a literary device of some kind (although I know of no one who has even tried to defend this view or what it would really even mean)).

I don't think we can get away with just saying that Moses' intention in using yom is immaterial and that we later on find out that the yomim were actually long periods of time. As I've said repeatedly, that gets us into a dictation theory in which we have multiple meanings, no objective meaning, and in which Moses is merely a material cause of the text and the text therefore was not revelation in its original setting.

edit:

As to your questions:
We now know that the Big Bang is compatible with that verse. Did Moses know that?
Not by the term "Big Bang" of course. Other than that, I don't know. I assume not, but maybe God gave him a vision of the beginning of all things.
We now know the earth is really old. Did Moses know that?
Same answer.
And there's still the issue of the ongoing 7th day, where God is still resting from His creating acts. Why would all 6 days mean 24 hours, but the 7th is a long age?
Moses doesn't say in Genesis 1 that the seventh day is still going on.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac, this was more a response to RickD but then spilled over into responding to some of your own post.

BUT, I do appreciate that rather then just simply attack the position and be unwilling to listen, that you actually critiqued it. A peer review response is what I was more hoping for, and so I've been excitedly waiting for yours which I figured would be like an acid test. I was actually welcomely surprised there wasn't more acid. ;)

I'd like to state when I wrote of this Sabbatical interpretation, I was more tinkering (solidly so) with a strong correlation I saw in Scripture between it and creation. But, as time goes on, I've seen so many correlations in Scripture as well as had some rich theological thoughts about what such means, that interestingly I can't help but embrace it now as my own position. Looks like I'm a loner here now. :P

Which means, I've been in fact moved from Day-Age to this Sabbatical interpretation.
To an outsider, it probably doesn't look like much of a change but it's a change nonetheless.
RickD wrote:This just came to mind while reading your response, Jac. And as I'm kinda thinking out loud, I see three possibilities which Moses was trying to convey:

1) that Moses knew, and meant yom to mean 1 twenty four hour day.

2) that Moses knew, and meant yom to mean a long, but finite period of time(an age).

3) that Moses didn't know how long the creation days were. Only that God revealed to him that they were 6 consecutive periods of time, with one other period of time as rest.

Can someone tell me why #3 can't be possible?
You're on track with my thinking here RickD.

However, it's not so much that Moses did not know how long the days were, but rather was not fussed to intend either way.
If Moses was asked how long days were, the way I'm looking at the text in my Sabbatical interpretation is that he would have responded with confusion, "Don't you see the pattern of Sabbath? They're ordinary days. We reply, "Ahh, so they're 24 hours then?" Moses: "Well... err, yes, ordinary days are 24 hours in length, but they're revealing God's creative act and then rest we're to enter into."
  • 8“Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9“Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. 11“For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:8-11)
I'm not sure my little exchange with Moses is coming out right, but I'm trying to highlight Moses isn't really concerned by a period of time whether that is 24 hours or an unspecified period as Day-Age advocates. I'll keep trying to explain this point throughout this post with the hope that the penny drops.

Indeed the fact trees and plants sprouted and grew out of the Earth (Gen 1:11-12), if we want to go literal to what we know, suggests that this typically would have taken many days to happen. If we asked Moses, "Did all the vegetation sprout in a day" I think he would have looked at us cross-eyed because we're missing the point. As I'm sure David would have if we asked him whether grass did grow up and wither all in a day (Psalm 90:5-6)?

Take David's Messianic Psalm 22 earlier discussed. Jac interprets David did not intend or expect the Messiah to literally fulfill having his hands pierced and garments torn, but such was just symbolic of God's people who will suffer persecution or the like. That the Messiah does actually literally fulfill the words as God also intended (something David did not have full privy too), so too the days in Genesis and our knowledge catching up.

@Jac, that previous paragraph is likewise what I mean when I wrote: "it’s just our human knowledge that needs to catch up in order to realise the fuller implications that God intended in the text." There is nothing wrong with God intending something more, so long as we're clear what is meant by that. God obviously had fuller intentions for David's words in the Messianic Psalm 22. David's intention isn't overridden who is focusing upon God's people suffering, and neither is Moses who is focusing upon the important Sabbath (which can theologically be read as ultimately representing God's sovereignty and Lordship over all).

So Jac asked what Moses intended "for day"?
I'd respond with a question, "what did David intend in using language of "pierce my hands and my feet" and "divide my clothes"" and ""cast lots fr my garment"? The intention is found in understanding the higher view and fuller meaning of the passage. Not in one part of it.

So I don't believe Moses intended it to represent a specific period of time or literally "unspecified period of time", and I also don't believe he intended it to represent 24 hours. To say either, would be reading into the text and overriding Moses' greater Sabbatical intention and 6-1 period.
That we discover days actually spanned many years and the chronology appears quite harmonious with what we know via science many, many years after is great.
But that was not Moses' intention, like David may or may not have known that God would put his words to literal use in Psalm 22.

In the end, time has nothing to do with the Genesis text.
Moses neither intended nor unintended 24 hours or an unspecified age.
Just like in Psalm 90:5-6, while morning and evening is used, time has nothing to do with the text.
David may have intended a 24 hour day (well, sunrise to sunset), in fact it certainly looks that way. But, his words are more evidently a literary device to make a higher level point. It is not David's intention in Psalm 90:5-6 for a period of time to be literally assigned in Pslam 90:5-6. We can more easily tell that because it is poetic prose.

While Genesis 1 doesn't appear to take poetic licence. But, look, I think anyone would be hard pressed when it comes to having vegetation sprout and growing in a day -- that Moses main intention is to have us believe such happened in a day. Whether it actually grows within 12-24 hours is not the main point Moses is intending or trying to convey.

I do think the text is plain and specific as to order of creation, such that it is clear chronology is intended.
So what we do have intended in Genesis 1 is high-level order of creation found within a 6-1 formulation for Sabbatical meaning and intent.
And theologically, Israel (creation) and the Sabbath (seventh day of rest) dedicated to the Lord shows creation paying respect to the one God who is sovereign and Lord over all of creation. One of the most pinnacle of messages found in Scripture, especially for Israel.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.