Jesus curses a fig tree‏

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Jesus curses a fig tree‏

Post by Christian2 »

I believe the subject of Jesus cursing the fig tree was an acted out parable. The fig tree representing Israel. Israel was not producing fruit.

The tree only had leaves There was no indication that it would produce figs.

But, this is the part I am confused by:

Matthew 21: 18 In the morning, as he was returning to the city, he became hungry. 19 And seeing a fig tree by the wayside, he went to it and found nothing on it but only leaves. And he said to it, “May no fruit ever come from you again!” And the fig tree withered at once.
20 When the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, “How did the fig tree wither at once?”21 And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain,‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. 22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”

It sounds like Jesus prayed that the tree would not produce fruit. Seems to me that His prayer should have been that it (Israel) would produce fruit.

What do you think?
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Jesus curses a fig tree‏

Post by B. W. »

Christian2 wrote:I believe the subject of Jesus cursing the fig tree was an acted out parable. The fig tree representing Israel. Israel was not producing fruit.

Matthew 21: 18 In the morning, as he was returning to the city, he became hungry. 19 And seeing a fig tree by the wayside, he went to it and found nothing on it but only leaves. And he said to it, “May no fruit ever come from you again!” And the fig tree withered at once.
20 When the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, “How did the fig tree wither at once?”21 And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain,‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. 22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”

It sounds like Jesus prayed that the tree would not produce fruit. Seems to me that His prayer should have been that it (Israel) would produce fruit.

What do you think?
This maybe due to what the proceeding verses reveal about Jesus going to the temple and over turning the tables there. The OT temple had become corrupt and there was a need to replace it with the New Covenant. I think it has to do with the events of 70 AD when the temple system was done away with and Israel scattered into all nations from 70 AD and completed by 135 AD. The Tempe was destroyed in 70 AD as it looked good on the outside but produced no fruit so was removed. So it appears Jesus is stating that ''whatever is an obstacle that keeps one from finding fellowship with the Lord'' can be removed, even today due to His good fruit wrought upon the Cross and Resurrection to set folks free from bondage of legalism.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Jesus curses a fig tree‏

Post by Christian2 »

B. W. wrote:
Christian2 wrote:I believe the subject of Jesus cursing the fig tree was an acted out parable. The fig tree representing Israel. Israel was not producing fruit.

What do you think?
This maybe due to what the proceeding verses reveal about Jesus going to the temple and over turning the tables there. The OT temple had become corrupt and there was a need to replace it with the New Covenant. I think it has to do with the events of 70 AD when the temple system was done away with and Israel scattered into all nations from 70 AD and completed by 135 AD. The Tempe was destroyed in 70 AD as it looked good on the outside but produced no fruit so was removed. So it appears Jesus is stating that ''whatever is an obstacle that keeps one from finding fellowship with the Lord'' can be removed, even today due to His good fruit wrought upon the Cross and Resurrection to set folks free from bondage of legalism.
-
-
-
Israel was utterly barren. Thanks BW.