How could ancient man lived to be in the 100's?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: How could ancient man lived to be in the 100's?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Lonewolf wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Sure, if there were any reason to believe that beings are supposed to be bigger than they are. I don't know of any reason that is the case, though. In that case, the size of humans now would be considered a defect, which in theory could be the case. But what evidence does anyone have to suggest that humans ought to be larger than they are?

I was reading from The City of God by Saint Augustine, and apparently he as well as others in his times believed that in some past era (pre-flood), that man did indeed was of a larger size, so I was just wondering and asking, that's all.

When was The City of God written by Saint Augustine?
This proves contrary to what young earth creationists say about the Gap theory that no one believed in the Gap theory before Thomas Chalmers who came up with the Gap theory in 1814 as a way of blending geology with the bible is wrong.Wikipedia is wrong too about Rev Thomas Chalmers.The Gap theory has been in the church along time,long before evolution became so popular.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Sure, if there were any reason to believe that beings are supposed to be bigger than they are. I don't know of any reason that is the case, though. In that case, the size of humans now would be considered a defect, which in theory could be the case. But what evidence does anyone have to suggest that humans ought to be larger than they are?

I was reading from The City of God by Saint Augustine, and apparently he as well as others in his times believed that in some past era (pre-flood), that man did indeed was of a larger size, so I was just wondering and asking, that's all.

This proves contrary to what young earth creationists say about the Gap theory that no one believed in the Gap theory before Thomas Chalmers who came up with the Gap theory in 1814 as a way of blending geology with the bible is wrong.Wikipedia is wrong too about Rev Thomas Chalmers.The Gap theory has been in the church along time,long before evolution became so popular.
There were a lot of very mistaken ideas in 1814. They still thought there might be
a great undiscovered southern continent. They thought malaria was caused by bad air.

Gap "theory' and the 'flood" ceased to find believers among the educated a long time ago, along with astrology and alchemy.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:

What are you talking about? What does Augustine have to do with the Gap Theory? Do you not know that he believed in an instanteous creation that was metaphorically described as a six day event? There's less than a gap of any kind. Everyone was created complete as Gen 1 describes it in a single instant for him. And beyond that, I don't know whether or not Augustine thought that people were physiclaly larger before the flood, but even if he thought they did, what would that have anything to do with, well, anything?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.