Philip wrote:No, FL - the Jack was already open. Near full, I realize it is more like 7 years old. Taste?
OK...already opened means there will have been a little evaporation; how much depends on where you stored it. In your basement, right on top of the furnace or on a hot water tank would be bad choices, but this isn't your case. Unless your pantry gets really warm or is bathed in light for long periods of time, there should be no problem. As for taste, no one will notice because I suspect any evaporation to be minimal, considering your pantry storage.
Another thing: most whiskies* come out of the cask at 57% alcohol by volume or higher. Distillers then add water to bring the alcohol content down to 40% by volume, which is the most common, but some whiskies are sold as low as 30% and some are sold at full cask strength. So your bottle is still pure and drinkable, even if it has been subjected to some evaporation.
Spirits are eternal.
*whisky is a generic term for any grain distillate.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom
+ + +
If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.
+ + +