Why Four Gospels?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
CazPerth
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Why Four Gospels?

Post by CazPerth »

Why Four Gospels? Arthur W. Pink

I started reading this last night and am only up to Luke but I love it! it was first published early in the 20th century and I found it on my Biblos app.

So many layers to the Bible I never knew. The Bible and its commentaries are the most fascinating things I have ever read - and I read a LOT.

"not written with ink but with the Spirit of the living God--not on stone tablets but on tablets that are hearts of flesh. " 2 Corinthians 3:3

In love and faith
Carolyn
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Why Four Gospels?

Post by PaulSacramento »

CazPerth wrote:Why Four Gospels? Arthur W. Pink

I started reading this last night and am only up to Luke but I love it! it was first published early in the 20th century and I found it on my Biblos app.

So many layers to the Bible I never knew. The Bible and its commentaries are the most fascinating things I have ever read - and I read a LOT.

"not written with ink but with the Spirit of the living God--not on stone tablets but on tablets that are hearts of flesh. " 2 Corinthians 3:3

In love and faith
Carolyn
The 4 gospels we have were the ones that were viewed as having the most authority by the Church.
They were, probably, the best sources of DIRECT eyewitness testimony.
CazPerth
Recognized Member

Post by CazPerth »

Have you read this book? it is a beautiful commentary on the Characteristics of Christ seen through 4 different lenses (eye witnesses.)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

CazPerth wrote:Have you read this book? it is a beautiful commentary on the Characteristics of Christ seen through 4 different lenses (eye witnesses.)
Nope, haven't read it yet.
I have a long list of "to read" but I don't have that one on it...
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

In love and faith
Carolyn
Some say that the four Gospels represent the four different types of animals (and man) that make up the throne of G-d Revelation 4:7. So each one of the living organisms represent an aspect of the Gospel... As an example the Gospel of Mark is the presence of many human (or man) characteristics in his portrayal of Christ, the eagle would represent the spirit of G-d mentioned in the Gospel of John.. Etc.

Anyways.. That is what the theory holds. Take it or leave it.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:

In love and faith
Carolyn
Some say that the four Gospels represent the four different types of animals (and man) that make up the throne of G-d Revelation 4:7. So each one of the living organisms represent an aspect of the Gospel... As an example the Gospel of Mark is the presence of many human (or man) characteristics in his portrayal of Christ, the eagle would represent the spirit of G-d mentioned in the Gospel of John.. Etc.

Anyways.. That is what the theory holds. Take it or leave it.
Gman, I see all the vowels on your keyboard are still giving you trouble, huh?

You do realize that 'God' is not God's name, so typing 'God' instead of 'G-d' shows no disrespect to Him. :fyi: :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I'm not familiar with Pink's book either but I am familiar with the common notion that each Gospel presents Jesus in a particular light:

-Matthew presents Christ as King, son of David and rightful heir.
-Mark presents Christ as Suffering Servant.
-Luke présents Jesus as the Perfect Man, the second Adam.
-John presents Jesus as God incarnate.

FL y:-B
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
CazPerth
Recognized Member

Post by CazPerth »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I'm not familiar with Pink's book either but I am familiar with the common notion that each Gospel presents Jesus in a particular light:

Yes, that is what Pink explicates.

So, it would also seem the four animal symbols are the lion (King), the ox (servant, worker), The man (Adam) and the eagle (transcending) representing the themes of these Gospels too. Not sure what i think of it yet but it's an interesting idea.

Love
Carolyn
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

CazPerth wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I'm not familiar with Pink's book either but I am familiar with the common notion that each Gospel presents Jesus in a particular light:

So, it would also seem the four animal symbols are the lion (King), the ox (servant, worker), The man (Adam) and the eagle (transcending) representing the themes of these Gospels too. Not sure what i think of it yet but it's an interesting idea.

Love
Carolyn
The gospels were not written or selected based upon the stretchy resemblance to the vision of John. Plus, why would the four headed creature show Christ when it is a creature itself, which Christ is not?

This is just systematic theology trying to be cute here.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
CazPerth
Recognized Member

Post by CazPerth »

neo-x wrote:
CazPerth wrote:

Love
Carolyn
The gospels were not written or selected based upon the stretchy resemblance to the vision of John. Plus, why would the four headed creature show Christ when it is a creature itself, which Christ is not?

This is just systematic theology trying to be cute here.
Yes it was a bit of a stretch :)