New translation of the Bible!

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Kenzel
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

New translation of the Bible!

Post by Kenzel »

Apparently, a new translation of the bible just came out. here's the article: http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2 ... 2_ST_N.htm And Mary may not be a virgin? Instead of referring to her as a "virgin", she's going to be referred to as "the young woman" because "the original Hebrew word, almah, may or may not signify a virgin". Your thoughts?
CeT-To
Sex: Male

Re: New translation of the Bible!

Post by CeT-To »

I guess it doesn't make a difference to some people tbh. But it seems like they are trying to make the bible much easier to understand so thats good. The whole virgin part on Mary is implied since she's a young woman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_(mother_of_Jesus)

"The canonical gospels of Matthew and Luke describe Mary as a virgin (Greek παρθένος, parthénos)."

παρθένος = virgin - http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... l=el&tl=en#
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
mandelduke
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by mandelduke »

Isaiah 7:14
14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

Luke 1:30-35
30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[a] the Son of God.

Matthew 1:18-21
18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about[d]: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. 19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet[e] did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[f] because he will save his people from their sins.”
ManFromHeaven
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by ManFromHeaven »

There is much more to understand when one interprets the symbolism and allegory throughout scripture, and the hidden meanings and understandings alluded to through name meanings and even Judaic number interpretations.
One can be a follower of the Christ Spirit without needing literal/fundamentalist interpretations which to some are just too far fetched to believe! Personally though I have no issue with current translations, which I enjoy for the challenge of non literal interpretation, which requires a visionary method when reading, and also cross references of the gospels with one another and the Old Testament.
I am wondering if the "miracles" of Jesus are interpreted as literal or spiritual?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Whether or not the orignal hebrew from Isiah meant young girl or virgin or whatever, isn't really the point in the NT.
In the NT it is clear that Mary was a virgin.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Did she remain a virgin after Jesus is where the question lies at although it doesn't make a real difference.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

CeT-To wrote:Did she remain a virgin after Jesus is where the question lies at although it doesn't make a real difference.
It does if you're Catholic :wink:.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

CeT-To wrote:Did she remain a virgin after Jesus is where the question lies at although it doesn't make a real difference.
Though often debated, it seems that Jesus did indeed have brothers and sisters as per the Gospel accounts.
Doesn't take away from Mary at all, nor is the doctrine of the "Perpetual virgin Mary" add anything to the fact that she was chosen above all others to give birth to the Son of God.