Enoch and Atlantis (just hear me out)

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Enigma7457
Valued Member
Christian: No

Enoch and Atlantis (just hear me out)

Post by Enigma7457 »

I have a strange thing to ask.

Does anyone here believe in Atlantis?

I only ask because i read a recent article about research done on the western side of the mediterranean (sp.) saying that the seafloor has been mapped and it matches fifty or so landmarks that Plato mentioned when he described (in great detail) the layout of atlantis. Atlantis was a city, founded by a 'god', who had superhuman like children. The childred ruled atlantis. At first, Atlantis was nice. They appeared much more 'civilized' than the rest of the world. But then, the men of Atlantis attacked the world, became greedy and lustful and all-around evil, lost some fights, and eventually the entire island was flooded.

Now, i recently came across a copy of the book of Enoch (not in the bible directly, but Enoch was referenced by a few authors, i believe). Interesting reading. Anyway, in the book of Enoch, it talks about "Watchers" coming down from heaven and corrupting mankind. The watchers were...intimate...with human woman and the women had giants for childred, the Nehalim (sp).

(I know my haphazard writing is losing you, but just stay with me)

However, these watchers taught mankind many amazing 'technologies' and 'secrets.' The sort of things that would make them appear more 'civilized' than the rest of the world. Soon, though, the Angels still in heaven told God what was going on and he punished the watchers. The watchers were made to watch their children (the giant Nehalim {sp}) fight amongst each other and 'perish by the sword'.

Now, i know i am about to do a lot of extrapolating, but here we go: What if the watchers and the Nehalim (sp) were atlantis? Think about it. Enoch was pre-flood, so if the watchers did indeed form some amazing 'civilized' city, it would have been destroyed by the flood. Right?
Plus...Atlantis founded by a 'god'...Watchers coming down from heaven
Superhuman children...Giant Nehalim (sp)
Atlantis fights the world...Giant Nehalim (sp) perish by the sword
AND...where they think Atlantis is, is very close to the middle east. I'm no expert, but isn't the middle east where everyone was? (lets put other armuments about global floods and such aside, please.)

Anyway, i'm not saying it's concrete, but it's sort of similar. Any thoughts?

PS-I actually think it is Nephalim not Nehalim.
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Re: Enoch and Atlantis (just hear me out)

Post by Enigma7457 »

am i crazy? :shock:
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I must confess, I just don't know anything that could contribute to this. ..I'm not not interested, just not very knowledgable about either of those two things.

COuldn't tell you the depth of your craziness :D
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Plato wrote about Atlantis in his Dialogues; the Altantis stuff can be found in the dialogues Timaeus, and in Critias. Here is a snippet from Critias:

(the local god)found no difficulty in making special arrangements for the center island, bringing up two springs of water from beneath the earth, one of warm water, the other of cold, and making every variety of food spring up in abundance...he also begat and brought up five pairs of twin male children and divided the island of Atlantis into ten portions...

Get the picture? Atlantis is an ancient fairy tale, no more. Plato used his Dialogues to teach, and to entertain. Timaeus and Critias are entertainment. If you start believing they are true, why not also believe in J.K. Rawlings' world*?

FL

*Harry Potter & Co.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

Plato very often used real people and real situations to teach and entertain. The fact that he claimed the information originally came from Egypt when a Greek messenger went there, and the fact that he gave way too much detail for it to be considered normal fiction will cause one to think there is an element of truth to it.

Now, remember that i am not claiming anything. I just thought the few similarities were interesting.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Enigma,

I think the best thing for you to do would be to read the two Dialogues that deal with Atlantis. The teaching Plato engages in the two dialogues is more about civility and government; it has nothing to do with geography. Indeed, the story of Atlantis is just the support for a message on values.

You can probably get a copy of Plato's Dialogues at a library or bookstore. My own copy is part of a set called Great Books of the Western World.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

Besides the fact that Dialogues wasn't about geography, Atlantis's geography was described in great detail, which would have been unnecessary if it had been made up.

I have read through most of it, though not all. I don't necessarily believe it to be true, just interesting.
mhc70
Newbie Member

Post by mhc70 »

Genesis 6
The Flood
1 When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [a] man forever, for he is mortal ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."
4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

5 The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.

Alien/demonic spirits? It is widely accepted that in Biblical times Angels and other spirits often interacted with humans, it was a angel, after all, that told Mary the tomb was empty.

Maybe someone can explain this because it seems contradictory and I have wondered about it myself many times and have come to crazier conclusions.

Ever heard of Edgar Cayce? Before you pre-judge according to all the research I can find he was a Bible believing born again Christian who is known as the father of holistic medicine, although he had no medical training.

http://edgarcayce.org/about_ec/cayce_on ... index.html

http://www.crystalinks.com/cayceatlantis.html

It has been some time since I read this but he predicted that the remnants of Atlantis would be discovered, I forget the year,but It was the same year the "road to Atlantis" was discovered in the Bahamas.
The conquering of self is truly greater than conquering many worlds.
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male

Post by Gman »

Not to derail anything here but look to heaven not Atlantis.. It's more interesting and more of a reality...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

Not to derail anything here but look to heaven not Atlantis.. It's more interesting and more of a reality...
Agreed. I am not searching for atlantis, but i thought the similarities were close.
Elle1975
Newbie Member
Sex: Female

Post by Elle1975 »

Anyone who dismisses you so quickly is really closed minded and probably has not researched to any degree.
Littlefinger
Newbie Member

Post by Littlefinger »

I agree with Elle1975. You can not dismiss this argument that easily. I have read the book of Enoch too and studied a lot about Atlantis, and I have found no conflicting evidence. They could be the same place, especially considering the similar stories and likely location.

Considering how few legends there even is about such a city, I would say that if the city is real and not a myth, that there is a very real probability that it is the same city.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

It's possible. You're not the only one to consider this, the similarities are interesting.
From what I've read, the Egyptians said this happened 9000 years before Plato's time, so about 12000 years ago. Now Atlantis was supposed to have sunk due to an earthquake, and it was this time when the last glacial period was ending. If Atlantis was real, could the ice age have to do anything with it's doom? Like rising waters or anything?
There's others that think it was destroyed in the flood, and for those who think the flood was regional, Atlantis would be in the Near East so it's perfectly possible it was.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

mhc70 wrote:Genesis 6
The Flood
1 When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [a] man forever, for he is mortal ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."
4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

5 The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.

Alien/demonic spirits? It is widely accepted that in Biblical times Angels and other spirits often interacted with humans, it was a angel, after all, that told Mary the tomb was empty.

Maybe someone can explain this because it seems contradictory and I have wondered about it myself many times and have come to crazier conclusions.

Ever heard of Edgar Cayce? Before you pre-judge according to all the research I can find he was a Bible believing born again Christian who is known as the father of holistic medicine, although he had no medical training.

http://edgarcayce.org/about_ec/cayce_on ... index.html

http://www.crystalinks.com/cayceatlantis.html

It has been some time since I read this but he predicted that the remnants of Atlantis would be discovered, I forget the year,but It was the same year the "road to Atlantis" was discovered in the Bahamas.

Could be that. Spirits interact with humans a lot.
Some of the stories of Atlantis (I think Plato's version) have it in the Atlantic. It's also been thought the Canary Islands, and the Azores Islands are remains.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I think Otoh Gunga is an exact recreation of Atlantis.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony