The Land God gave to Israel

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

The Land God gave to Israel

Post by Christian2 »

Genesis 15: 18 On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, “I give this land to your offspring, from the brook of Egypt to the Euphrates River:[f] 19 the land of the Kenites, Kenizzites, Kadmonites, 20 Hittites, Perizzites, Rephaim, 21 Amorites, Canaanites, Girgashites, and Jebusites.”

Numbers 34: 34 The Lord spoke to Moses, 2 “Command the Israelites and say to them: When you enter the land of Canaan, it will be allotted to you as an inheritance[a] with these borders:

3 Your southern side will be from the Wilderness of Zin along the boundary of Edom. Your southern border on the east will begin at the east end of the Dead Sea. 4 Your border will turn south of the Ascent of Akrabbim, proceed to Zin, and end south of Kadesh-barnea. It will go to Hazar-addar and proceed to Azmon. 5 The border will turn from Azmon to the Brook of Egypt, where it will end at the Mediterranean Sea.

6 Your western border will be the coastline of the Mediterranean Sea; this will be your western border.

7 This will be your northern border: From the Mediterranean Sea draw a line to Mount Hor;[c] 8 from Mount Hor draw a line to the entrance of Hamath,[d] and the border will reach Zedad. 9 Then the border will go to Ziphron and end at Hazar-enan. This will be your northern border.

10 For your eastern border, draw a line from Hazar-enan to Shepham. 11 The border will go down from Shepham to Riblah east of Ain. It will continue down and reach the eastern slope of the Sea of Chinnereth.[e] 12 Then the border will go down to the Jordan and end at the Dead Sea. This will be your land defined by its borders on all sides.”

Deuteronomy 34: Then Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, which faces Jericho, and the Lord showed him all the land: Gilead as far as Dan, 2 all of Naphtali, the land of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah as far as the Mediterranean[a] Sea, 3 the Negev, and the region from the Valley of Jericho, the City of Palms, as far as Zoar. 4 The Lord then said to him, “This is the land I promised Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, ‘I will give it to your descendants.’

Question: Why do these accounts seem not to match?

Thanks.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The Land God gave to Israel

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Christian2 wrote:Genesis 15: 18 On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, “I give this land to your offspring, from the brook of Egypt to the Euphrates River:[f] 19 the land of the Kenites, Kenizzites, Kadmonites, 20 Hittites, Perizzites, Rephaim, 21 Amorites, Canaanites, Girgashites, and Jebusites.”
The above is a reiteration of the Abrahamic Covenant originally stated in Ge 12:1-3. Other reiterations of this Covenant are Ge 15:1-21, Ge 17:1-18. Subsequent reiterations and confirmations of the Abrahamic Covenant are enlargements and clarifications of the original promise. (This same Covenant was confirmed to Isaac in Ge 26: 2-5). From a dispensationalist point-of-view, the Abrahamic Covenant concerns the borders of Israel during the Millenium when Christ will reign on earth from Jerusalem. This is still in the future, and before the Eternal state.

As for the borders described in Nu 34:3-12, these are about a temporary state of affairs, as Israel was entering Canaan to take possession of that land. Canaan does not include the Sinai, or Assyria up to the Euphrates, as the promise in Ge 15:18 obviously does.
Christian2 wrote:Question: Why do these accounts seem not to match?
They don't match because they are speaking of two very different situations. An analogy might be helpful: it is as if your father said to you, ''Son, when I am gone, all this land will be yours! All of it! But for now, my son, I give you this beautiful house and its garden to live in. Prosper!''

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Christian2 wrote:Genesis 15: 18 On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, “I give this land to your offspring, from the brook of Egypt to the Euphrates River:[f] 19 the land of the Kenites, Kenizzites, Kadmonites, 20 Hittites, Perizzites, Rephaim, 21 Amorites, Canaanites, Girgashites, and Jebusites.”
The above is a reiteration of the Abrahamic Covenant originally stated in Ge 12:1-3. Other reiterations of this Covenant are Ge 15:1-21, Ge 17:1-18. Subsequent reiterations and confirmations of the Abrahamic Covenant are enlargements and clarifications of the original promise. (This same Covenant was confirmed to Isaac in Ge 26: 2-5). From a dispensationalist point-of-view, the Abrahamic Covenant concerns the borders of Israel during the Millenium when Christ will reign on earth from Jerusalem. This is still in the future, and before the Eternal state.

As for the borders described in Nu 34:3-12, these are about a temporary state of affairs, as Israel was entering Canaan to take possession of that land. Canaan does not include the Sinai, or Assyria up to the Euphrates, as the promise in Ge 15:18 obviously does.
Christian2 wrote:Question: Why do these accounts seem not to match?
They don't match because they are speaking of two very different situations. An analogy might be helpful: it is as if your father said to you, ''Son, when I am gone, all this land will be yours! All of it! But for now, my son, I give you this beautiful house and its garden to live in. Prosper!''

Thank you.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

I found a map.

http://www.chosenpeople.com/main/israel-...-of-israel

Text clip: To ensure that there is no doubt about the land’s boundaries, Scripture also indicates the different groups of people that occupy it: "...the land of the Kenites, Kenizzites, Kadmonites, Hittites, Perizzites, Rephaites, Amorites, Canaanites, Girgashites and Jebusites.” We know that these peoples lived in what is today Egypt, Sudan, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, part of Asian Turkey, and of course all of Israel, including Gaza and the West Bank.

This fact adds another dimension to the promise: the Lord is giving to Abram's descendants land that is currently occupied by other nations! The question arises of how Israel will acquire this land – will she have to invade and conquer other countries? The text in Genesis 15 offers no indication that Israel will have to fight and conquer; therefore, the logical answer is that the Lord will see that the promise is fulfilled.

The boundaries of the land promised to Abram's descendants is clearly indicated in the Bible, yet we know that Israel has never had control of the full extent of this land. The Lord never said when it will happen, but He does say that it will happen. I believe that after the final battles described in the Bible, when all the nations will rise against Israel, with the return of Jesus, Israel will prevail. The promise will be fulfilled with the establishment of His Messianic kingdom. If He has fulfilled every promise given thus far, we can be certain that He will fulfill those that remain – including all the land promised to Abram's descendants.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Christian2 wrote:The boundaries of the land promised to Abram's descendants is clearly indicated in the Bible, yet we know that Israel has never had control of the full extent of this land. The Lord never said when it will happen, but He does say that it will happen.
Agreed, it will happen. God promised it with an unconditional covenant, so it is guaranteed to happen. Israel will be a land that stretches from the Nile to the Euphrates, exactly as God promised.

Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Antisemitism is the norm for the world and -sadly - for the majority of Christians. Here is a news report about U.S. Congressman Ted Cruz addressing an audience at a Christian university:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... ncendiary/

Congressman Cruz had the audacity to say that to be anti-Israel is against the teaching of the Bible. He was booed and catcalled and - to make matters worse - Congressman Dent from Pennsylvania even called Ted Cruz' remarks ''incendiary''.

Is it any wonder that all the nations of the world will attack Israel one day? (Zec 14:2, Rev 16:14)

FL y:-B

+ + +

+ + +