144,000 people?

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
voicingmaster
Established Member

144,000 people?

Post by voicingmaster »

Somewhere in Rvelation, it states an angel will make a calling, and only 144,000 people will accept and understand it, and they will ascend into heaven. I know this isn't a Christian doctrine (looking at the main site), so how do Christians interpret this passage?

BTW, I'm not trying to make an argument here, I'm just asking your interpretation, b/c I've never heard the non-JW interpretation of it.
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

I think it has something to do with the 12 tribes of Israel.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: 144,000 people?

Post by bizzt »

voicingmaster wrote:Somewhere in Rvelation, it states an angel will make a calling, and only 144,000 people will accept and understand it, and they will ascend into heaven. I know this isn't a Christian doctrine (looking at the main site), so how do Christians interpret this passage?

BTW, I'm not trying to make an argument here, I'm just asking your interpretation, b/c I've never heard the non-JW interpretation of it.
Let's read the Bible I think it is quite Self Explainitory!!! So 144,000 were sealed which were Jews who were called to preach in the End Days to the Multitude. Then it goes Further and says below in Rev 7:9 that a Great Multitude that NO Man could number were clothed in White!! JW's are :?

Rev 7:3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
Rev 7:4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: [and there were] sealed an hundred [and] forty [and] four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.
Rev 7:5 Of the tribe of Juda [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad [were] sealed twelve thousand.
Rev 7:6 Of the tribe of Aser [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nepthalim [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses [were] sealed twelve thousand.
Rev 7:7 Of the tribe of Simeon [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar [were] sealed twelve thousand.
Rev 7:8 Of the tribe of Zabulon [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin [were] sealed twelve thousand.
Rev 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
voicingmaster
Established Member

Re: 144,000 people?

Post by voicingmaster »

bizzt wrote:
voicingmaster wrote:Somewhere in Rvelation, it states an angel will make a calling, and only 144,000 people will accept and understand it, and they will ascend into heaven. I know this isn't a Christian doctrine (looking at the main site), so how do Christians interpret this passage?

Let's read the Bible I think it is quite Self Explainitory!!! So 144,000 were sealed which were Jews who were called to preach in the End Days to the Multitude. Then it goes Further and says below in Rev 7:9 that a Great Multitude that NO Man could number were clothed in White!! JW's are :?
Yeah, pretty much every JW doctrine crumbles upon close, and even not very close examination. JWism is pretty much a religion for the unlogical and gullible, I saw this soon after examining it.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I think JW are quite odd...if they believe that only 144,000 people will go to heaven...why do they go try and tell the whole world about it? Wouldn't they want to keep it a secret?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I think JW are quite odd...if they believe that only 144,000 people will go to heaven...why do they go try and tell the whole world about it? Wouldn't they want to keep it a secret?
Hey KMart... Good to see you back you were MIA for a while! Anyways the reason why they want to tell the world about it is because the only way they BECOME one of the 144,000 is by converting people to their Faith. Weird huh? :wink:
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I've never left you...I've always been here in spirit....I'm the whisper in the wind (little bit of pantheism to laugh about). Don't they realize that the JW's have converted over 144,000 since the cult started back in the 20's or 10's?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I've never left you...I've always been here in spirit....I'm the whisper in the wind (little bit of pantheism to laugh about). Don't they realize that the JW's have converted over 144,000 since the cult started back in the 20's or 10's?
:lol: Yeah Stupid huh. How many old Testament and NEW testament Saints brought people to the Lord?

They have alot of Catching up to do! :wink:
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Actually, they believe that all those saved by Jesus go to the paradise of the New Earth. And only 144,000 people who were super-good go to the actual heaven. Makes no sense since Jesus said that all who believed in him will get paid the same, but whatever.
stixandstones
Acquainted Member

Diasappointed

Post by stixandstones »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I think JW are quite odd...if they believe that only 144,000 people will go to heaven...why do they go try and tell the whole world about it? Wouldn't they want to keep it a secret?
I am surprised at the hidden anti-semeitics in this forum. This is the 2nd thread i read and both slag Jews. What got my attention was this thread ind it's ignorance. A cult? It is listed in the RECOGNIZED 7 religions and to call it a cult therefore is ignorant.

For the record I am not a Jew but am a christian who turns from the church because of hypocracy such as post like this that make us not worthy to call ourselves christian.

BTW, jews are not the only religion that claim a specific seating available in Heaven
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

I think you have misunderstood, stixandstones.

People were talking about Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) not Jews.
While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
stixandstones
Acquainted Member

Post by stixandstones »

Thank You Blob, you are quite right. I interpreted JW to be Jews and how Ironic that the "other" religion I refered was Jehovah's Witnesses. Memory does not serve me well enought to recall where the sit in the decription of clt or religion so just disregard my post all together. In my defense it seamed ppl jumped from Jews to JW and I assumed that JW was short for Jew (I know funny cuz you'd only be removing an "e"...lol)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Diasappointed

Post by Kurieuo »

stixandstones wrote:I am surprised at the hidden anti-semeitics in this forum. This is the 2nd thread i read and both slag Jews. What got my attention was this thread ind it's ignorance. A cult? It is listed in the RECOGNIZED 7 religions and to call it a cult therefore is ignorant.

For the record I am not a Jew but am a christian who turns from the church because of hypocracy such as post like this that make us not worthy to call ourselves christian.
Blob wrote:I think you have misunderstood, stixandstones.

People were talking about Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) not Jews.
stixandstones wrote:What got my attention was this thread ind it's ignorance.
Ahh... the irony of it all. ;)

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
BavarianWheels
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

It is a symbolic number not meant to be taken as a literal number, but rather as a number representing a whole or complete people...of each tribe of Israel...of the flesh AND of Spirit..those that hold to the Testimony of Christ.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: Diasappointed

Post by Jbuza »

stixandstones wrote: For the record I am not a Jew but am a christian who turns from the church because of hypocracy such as post like this that make us not worthy to call ourselves christian.
This attitude has kept more people from believing than perhaps any other, and I still don't understand it. PErhaps there are Christians that calim to be Holy and Mighty, I'm not sure. I would like to know stixandstones, who is it that is worthy to be a Christian? Christianity, and its greatest missionary, Paul, portray a life of persecution, is that what this statement is?, and a life of struggle against the flesh. I guess you believe it is hypocracy when a Christian sins? It is the old Holier than Thou attitude, and I am coming to the conclusion that a great part of it comes from the world not from the Church. It's this attitude that says if I were a Christian, I would be able to do so much better then _______. We all struggle with desires of the flesh, but as Paul teaches as long as we walk in the Spirit we cannot sin. I guess it is apparent then that Christians, just like the rest of the world are made up of humans that struggle to do good, and it is apparent to me that Christians do not always walk in the Spirit, but are sometimes or often influenced by the flesh.

I believe the 144,000 to be aliteral number, see how he struggles to make this post stay on topic, that is the number of Christians in that day that are Jews, but it certianly is open to interpretation isn't it.