25 Years since Waco

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
User avatar
LittleHamster
Established Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes

25 Years since Waco

Postby LittleHamster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:30 pm

I just watched a doco about it on TV.

"No one was allowed to approach the prophet. The prophet has to approach you" said one former member.




Its a good thing there is no cult-like behavior on this forum :oops:

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby Nessa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:22 am

LittleHamster wrote:I just watched a doco about it on TV.

"No one was allowed to approach the prophet. The prophet has to approach you" said one former member.




Its a good thing there is no cult-like behavior on this forum :oops:

I dont know about that... are the mods a bit that way y:-?

User avatar
LittleHamster
Established Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby LittleHamster » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:27 am

Nessa wrote:
LittleHamster wrote:I just watched a doco about it on TV.

"No one was allowed to approach the prophet. The prophet has to approach you" said one former member.




Its a good thing there is no cult-like behavior on this forum :oops:

I dont know about that... are the mods a bit that way y:-?


The mods ? lol, depends on how you would define 'cult' behavior i guess.

eg. too controlling over forum members ? aggressively arguing their version of truth ?

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby Nessa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:34 am

LittleHamster wrote:
Nessa wrote:
LittleHamster wrote:I just watched a doco about it on TV.

"No one was allowed to approach the prophet. The prophet has to approach you" said one former member.




Its a good thing there is no cult-like behavior on this forum :oops:

I dont know about that... are the mods a bit that way y:-?


The mods ? lol, depends on how you would define 'cult' behavior i guess.

eg. too controlling over forum members ? aggressively arguing their version of truth ?


That was meant to be 'arent'.... and I was joking

User avatar
LittleHamster
Established Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby LittleHamster » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:45 am

Nessa wrote:
LittleHamster wrote:
Nessa wrote:
LittleHamster wrote:I just watched a doco about it on TV.

"No one was allowed to approach the prophet. The prophet has to approach you" said one former member.




Its a good thing there is no cult-like behavior on this forum :oops:

I dont know about that... are the mods a bit that way y:-?


The mods ? lol, depends on how you would define 'cult' behavior i guess.

eg. too controlling over forum members ? aggressively arguing their version of truth ?


That was meant to be 'arent'.... and I was joking


No problemo. :) . I do often wonder what the separating factors are between a cult and a religion ? or are they the same? We can have cults or religions that can be viewed as acceptable/unacceptable, safe/dangerous, good/bad.

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 6227
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby Philip » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 am

LittleHamster: too controlling over forum members?


Ah, you mean trying to keep the peace and not allowing people ONLY here to spam up the site with their non-Christian agenda or constantly and unnecessarily stirring up controversies to seed arguments? Guilty as charged!

Little Hamster: ... aggressively arguing their version of truth ?


Well, mods are people too, right? :P No, we're not by any means perfect - we've all made mistakes. But we all have strong opinions and unique insights, just like everyone else does. But if you're paying attention, we mods don't always agree on every point of theology, politics, creation-related issues, etc. The ONLY thing we agree on is that God's inspired His Word to His prophets and apostles, and that it is true (that is, SOMEHOW - as we don't always understand exactly how it went down). And we certainly are quite tolerant of opposing viewpoints - even agnostic and atheist ones - AS LONG AS people are civil, polite, and not here merely to constantly spew their anti-Christian / anti-Bible agenda. Troublemakers won't last long around here. But those civil, no matter if they disagree with our contentions and beliefs, are certainly welcome here. Without us, the site would just be one more internet forum of nastiness, rancor and ill will.

User avatar
LittleHamster
Established Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby LittleHamster » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Philip wrote:
LittleHamster: too controlling over forum members?


Ah, you mean trying to keep the peace and not allowing people ONLY here to spam up the site with their non-Christian agenda or constantly and unnecessarily stirring up controversies to seed arguments? Guilty as charged!

Little Hamster: ... aggressively arguing their version of truth ?


Well, mods are people too, right? :P No, we're not by any means perfect - we've all made mistakes. But we all have strong opinions and unique insights, just like everyone else does. But if you're paying attention, we mods don't always agree on every point of theology, politics, creation-related issues, etc. The ONLY thing we agree on is that God's inspired His Word to His prophets and apostles, and that it is true (that is, SOMEHOW - as we don't always understand exactly how it went down). And we certainly are quite tolerant of opposing viewpoints - even agnostic and atheist ones - AS LONG AS people are civil, polite, and not here merely to constantly spew their anti-Christian / anti-Bible agenda. Troublemakers won't last long around here. But those civil, no matter if they disagree with our contentions and beliefs, are certainly welcome here. Without us, the site would just be one more internet forum of nastiness, rancor and ill will.


Well pointed out Phillip. I don't think we were being serious about the Mod's cult behavior :) Although it can be a sensitive issue for many. Sorry to anyone out there that had bad experiences with cults.

edit: Here are some warning signs that you are entering a bad cult:

(i) The cult takes all your money and possessions and you are left with a mattress and some cans of baked beans.
(ii) The cult cuts you off from family and friends and the rest of society.
(iii) The central figure(s) in the cult must be worshiped since their version of truth is the 'correct' one.
(iv) The central figure(s) in the cult conduct unusual and illegal sexual behavior usually to satisfy their perverted desires.
(v) The cult has special contingency plans for when law-enforcement arrives - usually in the form of mass suicide or total destruction
(vi) The cult continually tells you that "the end is near","the end is near","the end is near","the end is near" thus inducing and element of fear in its members, thus removing all sense of hope, individuality, freedom, independance. At this point, the members are now totally controlled, brainwashed, "will-less" slaves.
(vii) The cult has a compound where they feel 'safe'.
(viii) There is usually a huge stash of non-perishable food somewhere in the cult's compound.
(vix) The central figure(s) in the cult believe that their version of truth allows them to bypass and/or break the law of the land in which they live.

did I miss anything ?

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9244
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby Kurieuo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Sounds like many churches. Sadly.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby thatkidakayoungguy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Certain churches will also use this method where they misinterpret ideas like evolution and then say you can't accept an old universe/evolution and be a Christian. If you speak out against it they get concerned, or at least there are vibes of that.
SDA was heavy with this through the writings of Ellen White who said that due to her visions and interpretation of scripture that universe is 6000 years old and you have to believe it bc it's in the Bible. I never went to SDA churches but I got lots of their papers n stuff thru my mom's side. Much of what they say is true as well.
Not to mention I'm surrounded by conservatives who often think this way, and so while Ik otherwise now I thought I had to be a YEC to be a Christian, and any who said earth is older than 6000 years weren't Christian-like. But my personal instance is mild compared to many, and a lot of it is due to misinterpretation or being mislead by bad evidence by good people.

Blessed
Valued Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Los Angeles, Florida, Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby Blessed » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:09 am

The Hale Bop Comet Cult .. Remeber that one?


(Kauriuro is this comment Goldfish friendly? Thanks)

User avatar
LittleHamster
Established Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby LittleHamster » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:09 am

Blessed wrote:The Hale Bop Comet Cult .. Remeber that one?


Have a look.....

3453453.jpg
3453453.jpg (19.99 KiB) Viewed 111 times


"Davis attributes Applewhite's success in convincing his followers to commit suicide to two factors: he isolated them socially and cultivated an attitude of complete religious obedience in them."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Applewhite


or how about .......

34535656565.jpg
34535656565.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 107 times


"Later that same day, 909 inhabitants of Jonestown,[89] 304 of them children, died of apparent cyanide poisoning, mostly in and around the settlement's main pavilion"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9244
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby Kurieuo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:56 am

Blessed wrote:The Hale Bop Comet Cult .. Remeber that one?


(Kauriuro is this comment Goldfish friendly? Thanks)

Who's Kauriuro?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 19007
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby RickD » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:20 am

Kurieuo wrote:
Blessed wrote:The Hale Bop Comet Cult .. Remeber that one?


(Kauriuro is this comment Goldfish friendly? Thanks)

Who's Kauriuro?

I think he means you Kurieuo. Get him back by calling him "Blasseussud".
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

claysmithr
Familiar Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:07 pm
Christian: Yes

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby claysmithr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 am

LittleHamster wrote:
Blessed wrote:The Hale Bop Comet Cult .. Remeber that one?


Have a look.....

3453453.jpg


"Davis attributes Applewhite's success in convincing his followers to commit suicide to two factors: he isolated them socially and cultivated an attitude of complete religious obedience in them."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Applewhite


or how about .......

34535656565.jpg


"Later that same day, 909 inhabitants of Jonestown,[89] 304 of them children, died of apparent cyanide poisoning, mostly in and around the settlement's main pavilion"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones



He looks possessed...

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 6227
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Postby Philip » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Actually, in the photo, Applewhite looks like one of the aliens on the bridge viewing screen on the original Star Trek.


Return to “Aberrant Christianity”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests