Why do people follow occults/cults?

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member
Christian: No

Why do people follow occults/cults?

Post by Poetic_Soul »

What is the real reason why people follow an occult/cult? Is it tradition, culture or a need to feel wanted and not out of place?
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

it's the need to be part of a community or family, but they look for community or family in the wrong places.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

It must feel lonely to still have that emptyness inside of you. Having a relationship with religion that only cares about the numbers instead of a relationship with God that only cares about the heart.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

lonely people are easy to suck in. If you give them attention you can make them do almost anything and beleive anything
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

I should talk, I have to admit that I got sucked into one. They portrayed that they were holy ghost, sanctified, born again, baptized by fire christians. I was stationed in Chicago and Virginia. They had a church in every major naval ports. They believed that you had to be baptized in order to be saved. If not;...destination Hell. After much conviction, I finally left.....praise be to GOD.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I think some people like to be rebellious, so they might join because they know cults are seen in a negative way. That's like cutting your nose off to spite your face but anyways. Should Masons be considered as belonging in a cult? They have the same stuff as fellowship and all, and my teacher said a deacon at her church used to be one until he realized he was taking the place of Jesus, because Masons are supposed to be the light or something.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Should Masons be considered as belonging in a cult? They have the same stuff as fellowship and all, and my teacher said a deacon at her church used to be one until he realized he was taking the place of Jesus, because Masons are supposed to be the light or something.
Masons as in freemasons? As in the Illuminati? That stuff is real? :shock:
godslove39
Acquainted Member

Re: Why do people follow occults/cults?

Post by godslove39 »

Poetic_Soul wrote:What is the real reason why people follow an occult/cult? Is it tradition, culture or a need to feel wanted and not out of place?
Why do you follow christianity? You put your faith in the bible, they put their faith in space ships or ghosts etc... Same basic concept. You here the message and either have faith in it or not. People are drawn to all sorts of religion because its an important part of life. Now please don't mistake this post for me comparing christianity to a cult because that is not what I meant. Just the same reasons of believe apply in both cases
Atticus Finch
Recognized Member

Post by Atticus Finch »

I could probaly start a cult. 8) I have the look for it and the same strange ideas.

People join cults for the exact same reasons they do anything in their lives. There's an inner motivation within them to progress toward things which they consider good for them personally. It's the root of selfishness and also the root of all human behavior.