Hebrew Roots Movement

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Hebrew Roots Movement

Post by melanie »

The Hebrew roots movement involving churches like 'passion for truth ministries' and '119 ministries' are preaching a false gospel that is ensnaring many christians.
I happened to come across a FB page called 'Jesus Christ is KING'. Someone I knew had like the page so I thought I would check it out. Seemed pretty good at first glance, over 2 million likes, comments reaching in the thousands on different posts. Then I realised that they were not only promoting for christians to live under OT law, but that it was essential for a true believer to do so. They renounce the name of Jesus as a pagan false name. They believe we must keep all the Jewish feasts days and that we should not eat unclean animals.
Two churches that I noticed who were affiliated with the page were 'passion for truth' and '119', I'm sure there are others but I didn't look much further into it. One thing that bothered me when I looked to see what 'passion for truth' were about apart from misleading people and misinterpreting the bible I saw in their mission statement this;

Passion for Truth’s authority framework uses the original model given by God to the first congregation recorded, which was led by Moses. Yeshua is the top authority. The next layer of authority is the Beit Din (explained below) and the Sr. Pastor. Elders, Deacons, Ministry Leaders, and the Body submit to the Sr. Pastor and Beit Din. The Sr. Pastor submits to the Beit Din, Financial Board, Ministry Advisory Committee, and is a servant to the Body. The protection that we have is that we all submit one to another in the fear of YHVH. (Eph 5:21)
Matthew 18:15 is our instruction for handling conflict. When the scripture refers to taking the matter to the assembly, the 1st century church called this the Beit Din.
The Beit Din (meaning “House of Judgment”) is the ruling by the elders whose purpose is to restore relationships, assess punitive damages, and decide guilt or innocence.

Unscriptural and dangerous. These movements are cults.
But christians are taking the road of listening to these modern day Pharisees instead of listening to the words of Jesus.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Hebrew Roots Movement

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

The movement has nothing to do with legitimate Hebrew Christian groups such as Jews for Jesus or Messianic Judaism or pro-Israel groups in evangelical churches.

But I'm sure they make good fruitcake...

FL :fruitcake:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

For those who didn't know because I didn't this is what Beit din means;
A beth din [bet ˈdin] bet din, beit din or beis din (Hebrew: בית דין‎, "house of judgment"; plural battei din) is a rabbinical court of Judaism. In ancient times, it was the building block of the legal system in the Biblical Land of Israel.
They still exist today, there is apparently one in Sydney. But they are for the Jewish community. Now we have christian churches doing the same.
It blows my mind, it's so ridiculous, wrong and unbiblical.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

melanie wrote:It blows my mind, it's so ridiculous, wrong and unbiblical.
Jews do not read the Bible, they read hymnals, prayer books and psalms. My guess is that this is a group that appeals to nominal Christians who want to become ersatz Jews. Fruitcake, anyone?

Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:The movement has nothing to do with legitimate Hebrew Christian groups such as Jews for Jesus or Messianic Judaism or pro-Israel groups in evangelical churches.

You sure about that? When I was looking into this I watched 3 different videos with Messianic Jews who said they 'followed' Yeshua HaMashiach who is not to be confused with the false Jesus of christianity. Interesting claim.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

And I thought American cults were bad!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Jews do not read the Bible, they read hymnals, prayer books and psalms. My guess is that this is a group that appeals to nominal Christians who want to become ersatz Jews. Fruitcake, anyone?

It's not a small group FL. This FB page is being followed and liked in the millions. To be honest in all the christian based FB pages I have looked at, I have not seen one with a following like this. A single posts can generate 5 thousand comments. This is a large, growing,cultist, false christian movement.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Do you have a fruitcake recipe suitable for heathens?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

melanie wrote:

It's not a small group FL. This FB page is being followed and liked in the millions. To be honest in all the christian based FB pages I have looked at, I have not seen one with a following like this. A single posts can generate 5 thousand comments. This is a large, growing,cultist, false christian movement.

YEAH, SO? Creflo Dollar has his Gulfstream thanks to the same type of Einsteins who go for the Hebrew Roots schlock. Rule-based reliigions are always popular.

FL :D

+ + +

+ + +
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Well you may not care, but I do. These are well meaning christians who are being cleverly trapped into a cult not fringe groups attracting a few nut jobs. There are entire denominations who have previously not followed this absurd 'Hebrew roots propaganda' who are now identifying as such.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

melanie wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:The movement has nothing to do with legitimate Hebrew Christian groups such as Jews for Jesus or Messianic Judaism or pro-Israel groups in evangelical churches.

You sure about that? When I was looking into this I watched 3 different videos with Messianic Jews who said they 'followed' Yeshua HaMashiach who is not to be confused with the false Jesus of christianity. Interesting claim.
They are probably lying or - wonder of wonders! - self-deceived. The lady rabbi (Reform Judaism) in my family told me that Christians who were attending a local Messianic synagogue were going to her synagogue for Jewish studies class. She gives this class for gentiles who want to become Jews. I told her that no genuine born-again Christian would want to become a Jew. There would be no point. Especially for uncircumcised men!!! (ouch!)

Nominal Christians who attend messianic synagogues will call themselves Messianic Jews, but they remain gentiles.

Fruitcake is all over.

FL :lol:
Proinsias wrote:Do you have a fruitcake recipe suitable for heathens?
I do have a fruitcake recipe and it is already on G & S but not on my Christian Recipe thread.
Last edited by Furstentum Liechtenstein on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+ + +

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

melanie wrote:Well you may not care, but I do. These are well meaning christians who are being cleverly trapped into a cult not fringe groups attracting a few nut jobs. There are entire denominations who have previously not followed this absurd 'Hebrew roots propaganda' who are now identifying as such.
Don't worry about it. I seem to remember that in the last days, many who call themselves Christians will be drawn away by seducing spirits. Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christadelphians, Mormons, Hebrew Roots...the types of Fruitcake are endless. Worry about your children and warn those you care about.

PS It just confirms that the Bible is correct...again!

+ + +

+ + +
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

It would be good to make a list of these "cults" and use it to warn others. As most of you know, they use bait-and-switch sales tactics and apply it to religion - ie. a version of the classic con-artist.

cult leader: "We promise you salvation"

potential member: "Ok, I'll join"

cult leader: "Now give us all your money, your soul and everything else"

FYI:

Most Dangerous Cults in the World

https://web.archive.org/web/20131227222 ... m/2012/07/

-----------------------

Church of Almighty God or Eastern Lightning

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/churc ... 7031629018
Last edited by LittleHamster on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

This is an easy way to peg a false religion or cult,if it teaches you that you can save yourself by following the laws and rules of their religion,it is false,even if they use Jesus's name.

All false religions teach you can save yourself by following rules or laws and this religious concept makes it a false religion and nobody should want to serve a God that let's sinners get away with sinning,Jesus does not let anybody get away with sin and this is why he paid for our sins on the cross.
Christianity says you are a sinner and until you ask Jesus to save you and forgive you,your sin remains and there is nothing you can do to remove your sin,the only way to be saved is through Jesus Christ and what he did for us anybody who tries to add anything on to what Jesus did is sinning and is a liar and the truth is not in him\her.

Salvation is a gift from God that cannot be earned at all,you cannot live a sinless life like Jesus did without relying on Jesus and what he did.You are mocking Jesus and angering him by trying to live a good enough life to save yourself,it is an impossible thing to think you can or could be as righteous as Jesus Christ without relying on what he did for us and yet so many people have been deceived to rely on their works and deeds instead of Jesus Christ.God made salvation through Jesus too easy for religious people who make a mockery our of what Jesus did to pay for our sins and salvation in full.Keep your eyes and focus on Jesus Christ and rely on him and him only,not what you can do.

Peter sank when he took his eyes off of Jesus after walking on water to Jesus.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

melanie wrote:Well you may not care, but I do. These are well meaning christians who are being cleverly trapped into a cult not fringe groups attracting a few nut jobs. There are entire denominations who have previously not followed this absurd 'Hebrew roots propaganda' who are now identifying as such.
Don't worry about it. I seem to remember that in the last days, many who call themselves Christians will be drawn away by seducing spirits. Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christadelphians, Mormons, Hebrew Roots...the types of Fruitcake are endless. Worry about your children and warn those you care about.

PS It just confirms that the Bible is correct...again!
Good advice FL.
But it still upsets me to see well meaning Christians being duped.