Jehovah witnesses

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Jehovah witnesses

Post by Philip »

You really have to know how to talk to JWs, as they are very difficult to reach. Last weekend, I pretty much lost my patience with them - I probably got way too agressive and impatient. They have a knack for showing up at the most inopportune times. And when debating them becomes just an exercise in banging your head against a wall, well, it can seem like a huge waste of time. :roll:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Philip wrote:You really have to know how to talk to JWs, as they are very difficult to reach. Last weekend, I pretty much lost my patience with them - I probably got way too agressive and impatient. They have a knack for showing up at the most inopportune times. And when debating them becomes just an exercise in banging your head against a wall, well, it can seem like a huge waste of time. :roll:

:mom:

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Philip wrote:
You really have to know how to talk to JWs, as they are very difficult to reach. Last weekend, I pretty much lost my patience with them - I probably got way too agressive and impatient. They have a knack for showing up at the most inopportune times. And when debating them becomes just an exercise in banging your head against a wall, well, it can seem like a huge waste of time. :roll:

:mom:
So why don't I feel any better after my hug? Thanks, "mom!" :pound:

It's so tempting, well knowing JW's historical training to doubt and not accept any documentation you might provide (be it historical facts or their own organization's history of false prophecies) to just dismiss them and tell them to leave. But, somewhere, there's a reasonable point to bid them adieu - along with Jack Nicholson's famous quote ringing in their ears: "You can't HANDLE the truth!"

LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

yp**== y)>-
Last edited by LittleHamster on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Philip wrote:You really have to know how to talk to JWs, as they are very difficult to reach. Last weekend, I pretty much lost my patience with them - I probably got way too agressive and impatient. They have a knack for showing up at the most inopportune times. And when debating them becomes just an exercise in banging your head against a wall, well, it can seem like a huge waste of time. :roll:
You are quite right there and I don't blame you for losing your patience. They are behind a wall of blindness which they don't seem know to cross.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
goingsouth
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by goingsouth »

RickD wrote:
1stjohn0666 wrote:
RickD wrote:
1stjohn0666 wrote:I do not deny who Christ is!! He is the Messiah, Son of God. What part of the gospel message would you like me to explain?
Son of God
So, John, you are finally realizing that Jesus Christ is God?
Not yet, if the bible ever mentions "God the son" I might!!
John, until you believe in the one true Jesus, you are lost in your sins.
Jesus is God
Since when does NOT believing in a trinity make one lost in your sins? In my view, when someone condemns someone else for NOT believing in the trinity, they are being judgmental. Jesus life, death, resurrection, and ascension, have nothing to do with a trinity. Salvation has nothing to do with a trinity. Whether one believes Jesus is God or NOT doesn't determine whether or not they are in their sins. Myself, I believe Jesus is God but NOT fully God, God is yet greater!
"The greatest impediment Christians have obtaining Truth is when they think they already have it."
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Is the Father God? How about the Son? Is the Holy Spirit God?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

goingsouth wrote:
RickD wrote:
1stjohn0666 wrote:
RickD wrote:
1stjohn0666 wrote:I do not deny who Christ is!! He is the Messiah, Son of God. What part of the gospel message would you like me to explain?
Son of God
So, John, you are finally realizing that Jesus Christ is God?
Not yet, if the bible ever mentions "God the son" I might!!
John, until you believe in the one true Jesus, you are lost in your sins.
Jesus is God
Since when does NOT believing in a trinity make one lost in your sins? In my view, when someone condemns someone else for NOT believing in the trinity, they are being judgmental. Jesus life, death, resurrection, and ascension, have nothing to do with a trinity. Salvation has nothing to do with a trinity. Whether one believes Jesus is God or NOT doesn't determine whether or not they are in their sins. Myself, I believe Jesus is God but NOT fully God, God is yet greater!
How can Jesus be God, yet not fully God?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
goingsouth
Familiar Member

Post by goingsouth »

As opposed to the trinity doctrine, it's not difficult to understand.

Jesus said it best...

His own words PROVE he's not FULLY God!

Jesus said he or the angels didn't know the time of his own return, but that ONLY God knows. If Jesus were fully God, he would know!

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father."

Jesus said God the Father is greater.

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him."

Our heavenly Father has NO EQUALS!
"The greatest impediment Christians have obtaining Truth is when they think they already have it."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

goingsouth wrote:As opposed to the trinity doctrine, it's not difficult to understand.

Jesus said it best...

His own words PROVE he's not FULLY God!

Jesus said he or the angels didn't know the time of his own return, but that ONLY God knows. If Jesus were fully God, he would know!

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father."

Jesus said God the Father is greater.

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him."

Our heavenly Father has NO EQUALS!
You still haven't answered how Jesus can, at the same time, be God, and not be fully God.

If Jesus is not "fully" God, is he only partly God? He has a divine nature, but only 50%? 60%?

If Jesus is divine, he must be God.

Do you really understand what the doctrine of the Trinity actually says?

Without fail, every single person that has argued against the Trinity on this board, has argued against a straw man.

Maybe you could briefly tell us in your own words, what the doctrine says, and what specifically about the doctrine is wrong. Then we can flesh out where you misunderstand it.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

goingsouth
Familiar Member

Post by goingsouth »

You still haven't answered how Jesus can, at the same time, be God, and not be fully God.
I didn't? Jesus did!

If Jesus is not "fully" God, is he only partly God? He has a divine nature, but only 50%? 60%?
What does that matter? Let me put it this way. Jesus is everything God is, BUT God is yet more! (greater)
If Jesus is divine, he must be God.
A Christian partakes in God's divine nature, yet they're not FULLY God! The angels too, yet they're not fully God. YET! We are both called GODS! The Hebrew words translated ‘God’ is ‘Elohim’, which means ‘mighty ones’. (ONES indicates all of the heavenly host) The word at times refers to the Angels who are called God’s ‘mighty ones’,
Do you really understand what the doctrine of the Trinity actually says?
Yes. I studied it and threw it out the window in 1974. I probably understand the doctrine as well as you. It's just...you believe it and I don't!
Without fail, every single person that has argued against the Trinity on this board, has argued against a straw man.
The trinity doctrine is definitely a straw man argument! Most trinitarians will tell you that the trinity doctrine is NOT explicitly taught in any ONE verse of scripture. It's derived from compilation of scriptures. I say that IF the doctrine was necessary for the forgiveness of sins and salvation, it would be clearly stated in scripture....BUT IT'S NOT!
Maybe you could briefly tell us in your own words, what the doctrine says, and what specifically about the doctrine is wrong. Then we can flesh out where you misunderstand it.
Give me a break! I don't have to prove to you that I know what the trinity doctrine states. The entire doctrine is false!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ok,

From your answers, it seems you're saying that The Father is fully God, and Jesus isn't fully God.
So to help me better understand what you're saying, let's say the father, being fully God, is 100% God, by nature.

Please explain in a percentage, how much of God's divine nature Jesus has. I'm trying to understand how you back your reasoning that Jesus is God but not fully God.

-Edward R Murrow

goingsouth
Familiar Member

Post by goingsouth »

RickD wrote:Ok,

From your answers, it seems you're saying that The Father is fully God, and Jesus isn't fully God.
So to help me better understand what you're saying, let's say the father, being fully God, is 100% God, by nature.

Please explain in a percentage, how much of God's divine nature Jesus has. I'm trying to understand how you back your reasoning that Jesus is God but not fully God.
That's an unreasonable request. What do percentages have to do with anything? How do percentages help you understand or "back my reasoning" that God is greater than Jesus? I'm not the one who said God is greater than Jesus. Jesus did! How much of the divine nature do you possess? 10%....20 maybe 30%???
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

goingsouth wrote:
RickD wrote:Ok,

That's an unreasonable request. What do percentages have to do with anything? How do percentages help you understand that God is greater than Jesus? I'm not the one who said God is greater than Jesus. Jesus did! How much of the divine nature do you possess?
I'm trying to understand how Jesus can be God, but not fully God. Either Jesus has all the attributes of God, and is fully God, or he doesn't have all the attributes of God, and he is not God at all.

Jesus did not say that God(the Father) is greater than he is, ontologically. That's just not logical. If Christ doesn't have all the attributes of God, he cannot, logically, be God.

-Edward R Murrow

goingsouth
Familiar Member

Post by goingsouth »

Rick,

Jesus has all the attributes of God. Everything that God is Jesus is. God's has more of these attributes which is simply saying... God is a greater being!

This is what Thayer says about the word 'greater' in John 14...
...used of those who surpass others---either in nature and power as God.