What are your denominations? and a question I have...

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Dallas
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

What are your denominations? and a question I have...

Post by Dallas »

Okay, to start I do not classify myself as a baptist. I clarify myself as a believer of Jesus Christ. Now that i'm done with that lol. What are your guys's denominations? I'm baptist.

Okay now to my question a lot has happened to the Catholic church. But the major one I have seen is their salvation plans have completely took a turn for the worse. From what people say at the Church I go to. Why is it they switched their salvation plans from Being saved by Grace and not by works to completely the opposite? I know they have a different Bible than protestant churches, but it still has the correct way to get saved in it. So can somebody clarify this for me please?

Sincerely,

Dallas.
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
Byblos
Old School

Re: What are your denominations? and a question I have...

Post by Byblos »

Dallas wrote:Okay, to start I do not classify myself as a baptist. I clarify myself as a believer of Jesus Christ. Now that i'm done with that lol. What are your guys's denominations? I'm baptist.

Okay now to my question a lot has happened to the Catholic church. But the major one I have seen is their salvation plans have completely took a turn for the worse. From what people say at the Church I go to. Why is it they switched their salvation plans from Being saved by Grace and not by works to completely the opposite? I know they have a different Bible than protestant churches, but it still has the correct way to get saved in it. So can somebody clarify this for me please?

Sincerely,

Dallas.
Could you not have started with a simpler question my friend? But let me answer your question with a request. Please show me from official Catholic positions that the Catholic Church has switched salvation plans.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I am Christian. Attend a baptist congregation.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Byblos, I promise you that Dallas is not a pseudonym that I'm posting under. You can check his ip address if you don't believe me. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

Hi Dallas.

I was born a Catholic (to put it that way). Having been an independent free-thinker my entire life, I had never really thought deeply about the Church's policies until I grew up. Besides, Roman Catholicism is by far the most widespread Christian denomination in my country, so I haven't often witnessed an alternative. I've always seen my relationship with God as something private.

So I started asking questions like, "If God knows my heart and my thoughts, why do I need a confession to have my sins forgotten?", or "Why intercessory prayers to saints? Isn't it wiser to pray to the One in charge of everything?" I sometimes feel that modern-day Catholicism complicates faith. Plus, being an anti-evolutionist, I'm honestly disappointed with the RCC's position towards the issue - I mean, it's not that they weren't once mistaken about the shape of the Earth because they adhered to the common beliefs of the time. These things distanced me from Catholicism, so I could de facto consider myself a non-denominational Christian at the moment, though I'm formally still a Catholic, for cultural reasons.

P.S. Byblos, feel free to bash me because of what I wrote here. ;)
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Hi Dallas.

You can say I adhere to an Independent Evangelical group or as a song once quipped – a bapto-pentecoste-presbe-metho-evangelical-reformed into the image of Christ kind… that scares the devil out of his drawers and Methodist out of their pews, makes Hardcore Calvinist laugh with Armenians and Armenians best friends a Calvinist ever had or something like that!

Also note, American Catholic’s are far different than those in various European Countries. So be aware of Catholic stereotypes often painted by protestants. I meet many spirit filled saved by grace only America Catholics as well as many hard core superstitious ones too in America. There is a move within the Catholic church in America teaching to rely on the bible and its clear doctrines rather than man. So keep that in mind…

Be blest!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I'be been in many different denominations. I no longer believe in denominations and will not join another one. I'm self-described as post-evangelical, and inclined toward organic fellowships. Others have referred to me as modified ana-baptist. Bottom line is that I love and follow Christ.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I'be been in many different denominations. I no longer believe in denominations and will not join another one. I'm self-described as post-evangelical, and inclined toward organic fellowships. Others have referred to me as modified ana-baptist. Bottom line is that I love and follow Christ.
Bart, why do you no longer believe in denominations?

-Edward R Murrow

Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I've left Institutional church. I believe the divisions cause more harm than good. I still love those who love Christ and remain. I just have to follow my conscience.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I belong to Christ, i attend a Anglican church but i am not a "member" and will never become one.
To clarify not an Anglican member but i am a member of the congregation.

Daniel
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I belong to Christ, i attend a Anglican church but i am not a "member" and will never become one.
To clarify not an Anglican member but i am a member of the congregation.

Daniel
Daniel, why won't you ever become a member of the Anglican church?

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Because i dont see it as a nessesary part of my faith, if i moved area and had to change church's it might not be an Anglican one.

I think Christs love covers all denominations and i believe we should not identify ourselves by denomination but identify ourselves as followers of Christ.
From my experience there is so much animosity between denominations and to break down these barriers we have to forget about putting labels on people.

Daniel
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

Methodist , very similar to baptism. I couldn't stand the Episcopalian services, way to formal for me.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:Byblos, I promise you that Dallas is not a pseudonym that I'm posting under. You can check his ip address if you don't believe me. :pound:
The thought did cross my mind. :wave:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.