Episcopalianism?!?

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Episcopalianism?!?

Post by Jac3510 »

Ok, so obviously the Episcopal church isn't in and of itself aberrant, but I couldn't think of a better forum for this little gem!

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Business/Defa ... ?id=597368
ANAHEIM, CA - Episcopal Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori says it's "heresy" to believe that an individual can be saved through a sinner's prayer of repentance.

In her opening address to the church's General Conference in California, Jefferts Schori called that "the great Western heresy: that we can be saved as individuals, that any of us alone can be in right relationship with God."

The presiding bishop said that view is "caricatured in some quarters by insisting that salvation depends on reciting a specific verbal formula about Jesus."

According to Schori, it is heresy to believe that an individual's prayer can achieve a saving relationship with God. "That individualist focus is a form of idolatry, for it puts me and my words in the place that only God can occupy."
Now, obviously I agree with the prayer part (John 3:16 doesn't say anything about prayer), but COME ON?!?!?!? And, yes, I know this doesn't reflect the entire Episcopal Church, but COME ON!!!

Who knew it was idolatry to think you could be saved . . .
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
For_Narniaaa
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Episcopalianism?!?

Post by For_Narniaaa »

The Bible says that if we confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord and believe in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead, we will be saved. (Romans 10:9) That's it. Plain and simple. I think many people do the "confess with your mouth" part by prayer. Prayer is just talking to God...it doesn't have to be some fancy ritual. You can just say, "Jesus, I believe what You did and I want You in my life."

How is that not salvation?? What do the Episcopalians believe brings salvation, then?

Other verses:

"...Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved..." (Acts 16:31)
"...Whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16b)
"But to all who did receive Him, who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God..." (John 1:12)
"...through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and by him everyone who believes is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the law of Moses." (Acts 13:38-39)
"...for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." (Romans 1:16)

For numerous other verses, check out this site: http://www.scripturemenu.com/BibleVerse ... topicid=31

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

I didn't click the link and read the whole, but based on the blurb, I would say what was meant was that a person cannot be saved simply by repeating some words without their heart's conviction giving meaning to them.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Wow, that seems really weird. Sour grapes, I say. Greg Laurie does a big Harvest Crusade in Anaheim every year (where this Bishop said this), and tons of people come down to say the sinner's prayer. And Laurie and all the others involved know that not everyone seems to be sincere about it when they say the sinner's prayer; they know that in the long run, not all those that come forward end up staying in the faith. It's not some magic formula, no, but it's like Narniaaa wrote.

(I just looked up the Harvest Crusade website. The number that have made decisions for Christ at these events is 317,600. The number that backslide is not listed there.)
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
secretfire6
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by secretfire6 »

or it could be a reference to those who "pray in tongues" as a sign of salvation and believe they have some special relationship with God that others don't. That would be heresy. salvation isn't about what you say or do or don't say and don't do. It's about what's in your heart and if you truly believe In God's saving act as Jesus Christ. If you believe, you are saved.