Did you "receive Jesus" the Jesus way, or man's way?

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Did you "receive Jesus" the Jesus way, or man's way?

Post by zoegirl »

Fred, how do you judge whether someon'es "tongues" are genuine? and from the spirit? Does anyone who just speak gibberish and then proclaim it to be from God now qualify as being filled with the Spirit?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
FredFlanders
Familiar Member
Sex: Male

Post by FredFlanders »

zoegirl wrote:Fred, how do you judge whether someon'es "tongues" are genuine? and from the spirit? Does anyone who just speak gibberish and then proclaim it to be from God now qualify as being filled with the Spirit?
Zoegirl,
When a believer speaks in tongues they will know what the Holy Spirit is. They will not have to be told what the Holy Spiritis.

Fred.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FredFlanders wrote:
zoegirl wrote:Fred, how do you judge whether someon'es "tongues" are genuine? and from the spirit? Does anyone who just speak gibberish and then proclaim it to be from God now qualify as being filled with the Spirit?
Zoegirl,
When a believer speaks in tongues they will know what the Holy Spirit is. They will not have to be told what the Holy Spiritis.

Fred.
Fred, are YOU saying that a "believer" won't know "what the Holy Spirit is" unless he/she speaks in tongues?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Not what I asked, fred...

How do YOU know when you hear someone speaking in tongues that it is genuine.

I did NOT ask you how THEY know, I asked you how YOU know.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

FredFlanders wrote:
Zoegirl,

Fred.
So you must also believe others who say they have experienced the Holy Spirit, but not by way of Him giving tongues. There's no doubt about it when the Holy Spirit interacts with you. Julian of Norwich was visited by the Lord, and did much for Him, but she did not speak in tongues. Tongues is one gift, given by the Holy Spirit, for believers that already have Him. There have been soooo many loving and loved (by the Lord) Christians through time, and you are denying them all . . .
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
FredFlanders
Familiar Member

Post by FredFlanders »

zoegirl wrote:Not what I asked, fred...

How do YOU know when you hear someone speaking in tongues that it is genuine.

I did NOT ask you how THEY know, I asked you how YOU know.
Zoe,
It will be real to me because they will be able to confess to me the Power of God in them. The same way as when the Jew's new the Gentiles had received the Holy Spirit. They spoke in tongues and GLORIFIED GOD.

Fred.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

RickD wrote:
FredFlanders wrote:
Zoegirl,

Fred.
Fred, are YOU saying that a "believer" won't know "what the Holy Spirit is" unless he/she speaks in tongues?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

But if they are speaking in tongues, are you guaranteed to understand what they are saying???

HOW WILL YOU KNOW THAT THEY AREN"T JUST SPEAKING GIBBERISH?
FredFlanders
Familiar Member

Post by FredFlanders »

zoegirl wrote:But if they are speaking in tongues, are you guaranteed to understand what they are saying???

HOW WILL YOU KNOW THAT THEY AREN"T JUST SPEAKING GIBBERISH?

No Zoe, and anyone who has the Holy Spirit and speaks in tongues will tell you that.

Even Paul when he spoke in tongues said his understanding was unfruitful.

Fred.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

So in your church, everyone who speaks in tongues is doing so genuinely...
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Fred, you are limiting the power of the Holy Spirit, and the work of our Lord. Tongues is not the sign of having the Spirit. You are saying YOU will know by a sign that you conveniently say is in the Bible, when you use the Bible (selectively) to justify yourself, your judgment, and limit the work of the Spirit.

Paul also said that not all had to speak in tongues. Lol. He was talking to the Christians there (in Corinth), trying to get them to not be so enamored with their "gift." He was telling them to seek the better gifts and not do things, like speaking in tongues, in front of people who would think they were nuts. Love means you will edify others.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

zoegirl wrote:So in your church, everyone who speaks in tongues is doing so genuinely...
Someone here confessed to me that he spoke in tongues falsely in church, just because the people there expected it. I'm sure others do that too. Anyway, those there did not know he faked it.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

RickD wrote:
RickD wrote:
FredFlanders wrote:
Zoegirl,

Fred.
Rick, is this some kind of double post mistake? Or did you think you wrote something, but it didn't post for some reason? I can remove this if you want (you can do that with your original too).
FredFlanders
Familiar Member

Post by FredFlanders »

cslewislover wrote:How can we go on with Fred if he keeps judging, himself, that believers (believers that the Lord has clearly spoken to) here don't have the Spirit? It makes no sense.

What about reading your Bible and answering these Questions?

Paul believed in Jesus when he saw the light from heaven on the way to Damascus and but did he receive the Holy Spirit then?
If the Apostles refused Jesus' command (Acts 1) to wait in Jerusalem for the promise of the Holy Spirit and went to another town would have they received the Holy Spirit?

Did the people of Samaria that had been healed, been baptized, believed in Christ have the Holy Spirit before Peter and John had prayed with them??

Acts 8 v 5Philip went down to a city in Samaria and proclaimed the Christ[a]there. 6When the crowds heard Philip and saw the miraculous signs he did, they all paid close attention to what he said. 7With shrieks, evil spirits came out of many, and many paralytics and cripples were healed. 8So there was great joy in that city.
9Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, "This man is the divine power known as the Great Power." 11They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his magic. 12But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw. 14When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. 15When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into[c] the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Fred