Did you "receive Jesus" the Jesus way, or man's way?

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Did you "receive Jesus" the Jesus way, or man's way?

Post by cslewislover »

FredFlanders wrote: Csle,

The questions are easy and if you read your Bible rather than listening to others you would have been able to answer the questions.

Fred.
Fred, I do read the bible, and have given much evidence earlier from the bible to back up what I say. I answered you, and in the way I saw fit. Sorry you can't understand it. Your continued insults here will result in banning.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

FredFlanders wrote:
Csle,

The questions are easy and if you read your Bible rather than listening to others you would have been able to answer the questions.

Fred.
Oh really.. Well I probably know more about the Bible than you realize.. I use to be a charismatic who spoke in tongues, so I know what I'm talking about...

Been there... Done that... y/:)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
FredFlanders wrote:
Csle,

Fred.
Oh really.. Well I probably know more about the Bible than you realize.. I use to be a charismatic who spoke in tongues, so I know what I'm talking about...

Gman, do tell. What do you mean that you "use to be" a charismatic?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Gman wrote:
FredFlanders wrote:
Csle,

Fred.

:fyi:

I just like using that emoticon
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:
Gman wrote:
FredFlanders wrote:
Csle,

Fred.

I use to speak in tongues.. Holy anointing and the lot.. ;)

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
RickD wrote:
Gman wrote:
FredFlanders wrote:
Csle,

Fred.

I use to speak in tongues.. Holy anointing and the lot.. ;)
How or why did you get out of it?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote: How or why did you get out of it?
Short story... Because it was unbiblical..

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
I was just curious about how you saw that it was unbiblical. How did God show you? I've been to quite a few charismatic/pentecostal churches, and have been freaked out more than once. One time, a lot of people were babbling, and flopping around in the aisles like fish out of water. Some seemed emotional, others seemed under the influence of something very dark. :twisted:

-Edward R Murrow

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:
Gman wrote:
I was just curious about how you saw that it was unbiblical. How did God show you? I've been to quite a few charismatic/pentecostal churches, and have been freaked out more than once. One time, a lot of people were babbling, and flopping around in the aisles like fish out of water. Some seemed emotional, others seemed under the influence of something very dark. :twisted:
God showed me through others... He literally led me out of that darkness.. Plus I had a real hunger for God's word.. I even dropped out of college to study it..

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
RickD wrote:
Gman wrote:
God showed me through others... He literally led me out of that darkness.. Plus I had a real hunger for God's word.. I even dropped out of college to study it..
That's amazing!! Praise God!!

-Edward R Murrow

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote: That's amazing!! Praise God!!
Well thank you Rick.. :P

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Why God allowed infant circumcision but not infant bapti

Post by B. W. »

FredFlanders wrote:BW, It is God's judgement, not mine on who will be saved.
You have to have the Holy Spirit to be in the first resurrection. That is God's judgement.
If you do not have the Holy Spirit then you may be saved in the second resurrection after the 1,000 years. So you do not even have to be Christian to be in this resurrection. That is God's judgement.
BW, when you get empowered with the Spirit of Christ then you will know what the Love of God is. Then I will not have to tell you.

Fred.
Fred, if you had the Love of God really in you - you would have the Spirit and would answer the question:

1 Co 13:5, "(Love) does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful..." ESV

1 Co 13:1, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal." ESV

1 Co 13:13, "So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love..." ESV

Sadly, it appears that you missed the mark on this one...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

RickD wrote: That's amazing!! Praise God!!
Dropping out of college isn't so amazing. But then again, seeing that babbling nonsense is totally insane makes him a cool cat. y/:)
kevdog19
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by kevdog19 »

I don't think blathering like an idiot,so called speaking in toungs means the spirit is upon you, sounds like voluntary insanity. I know I've spoken like unconciosly, like automatic, where I was totally deaf to what I was saying but everyone else could hear me. People were asking me all kinds of questions and I was just rattling off answers. People told me what I said later and I have to say it was enlightened. I was personifying all these abstract concepts, like someone I guess (this is what I'm told)said something about time and I was like "I know time" and they were like "how long have you known time" and I was like "since I was born, we're friends" and then they were like "what do you do with time" and I was like "whatever I tell it to". I said more but I didn't ask any more quistions. I was in that trance for like 5 minutes but apparently part of me was concios as some part of me was listening and responding and I could see.Good times.
Legatus
Established Member
Location: California, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Legatus »

The bible very clearly answers the question "should all speak in tongues here 1 Cor 12:28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 1 Cor 12:29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 1 Cor 12:30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues ? Do all interpret?

The specific greek construct used ONLY allows an answer to '"do all speak in tongues" of NO. Greek has two different constructs for rhetorical questions like this, one for a required yes answer, and one for a no answer, the latter is used here. Therefor, the bible DOES allow you to be a Christian, "filled with the spirit", and still NOT speak in tongues.

Also, there are three times that the bible reports that the Spirit fell on people, the first is Pentacost, and the second was to show that gentiles could also be saved, however, the third time they did NOT speak in tongues, but instead spoke the word of God with boldness exactly as they had asked to be empowered to do. From this one can see that the spirit and speaking in tongues do not always go together.

As for the bible saying you must speak in tongues to be saved, what does it actually say when asked that exact question? Acts 16:30 He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" Acts 16:31 They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household." See any speaking in tongues there? Did the thief on the cross next to Jesus peak in tongues? Yet Jesus told him that he would see Jesus in paradise, did Jesus lie?

Lastly, language experts have checked out people 'speaking in tongues", so far, all they have been able to find is people babbling english nonsense syllables, no actual new foriegn sounds were heard. If it had been an actual foriegn tongue, there would have been syllables that the speaker did not have in their native tongue, but there were not. There have been people who did indeed speak in actual foriegn tongues, but this is actually rather rare and pretty much never seen in the crowds where they all babble away. Are you willing to let people who know what foriegn languages actually sound like listen to you and tell you if that is actually foriegn and not just babbling? Are you also aware that non Christian cults also "speak in tongues"?

I see this as just another trick of satan to keep people out of the kindom by the simple expediant of fooling them into thinking that they are already in it. Did not jesus say Mat 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven Mat 7:22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Mat 7:23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' Thus Jesus himself, who, being the Christ, should know a thing or two about Christianity, says that even doers of "many miricles", such as speaking in tongues, may not enter the kingdom of heaven, but instead be told '"way from me, you evildoers". Remeber Jesus'es weat and tares, they look exactly the same, untill it comes time for harvest, and then the tares are thrown away and burned, do uou want that to happen to you? This is also a trick of Satan to evoke the original sin of Satan, pride, by making them think "I speak in tongues, and you do not". As such, it is merely "works rightousness", the exact opposite of Christianity. It is also a trick to make Chrisianity look stupid and false, as known by God and stated as such here 1 Cor 14:23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

And if you want to speak in a tongue, how should you do it? "1 Cor 14:27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two--or at the most three--should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 1 Cor 14:28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God." Have you done this? Was there an interpreter? Did you speak one at a time? if no interpreter, did you keep quiet? if no, there is a word for that, it is called SIN y[-X . If you SIN, the thing to do is REPENT. if you go into a church and see everyone babbling away, you are not seeing the spirit, you are seeing SIN. If you disagree with this, then you disagree with Paul, the apostle, appointed persoally by Jesus himself, and I can only say that you are in serious deep doo doo. I suggest that you repent BEFORE you are told "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' , because then it will be too late. y8-X