Rest Day Laws

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Rest Day Laws

Post by cslewislover »

BavarianWheels wrote: So are you saying you would support me (Sabbatarians) in our right to not be forced to work on Saturday should such a law come into effect?

How would you (the Christian community at large) vote given this scenario of a "rest day" for society?

I'm asking because it would seem odd given the assumed fact that if it made it through as a law, that means the majority would be in agreement on a needed "rest day" for the good of society. Wouldn't anyone opposing such a law be then seen as someone(s) against the betterment (is this a word?) of society?
Yes, I would support Sabbatarians. My inclination right now is that I would vote against such a law. I could be viewed as a freedom of choice person (being able to pick a job that has the days off you want) or pro-capitalism as well.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Rest Day Laws

Post by Jac3510 »

I'd hate to see a law like this passed, but not because the problems with discrimination. You could provide exceptions to that, or whatever. I'm pretty sure that people could claim religious exemptions and that be that. Regardless, I don't like the idea of the gov't telling business what it can and can't do. In short, it's a political, not theological, position that I take.

With that said, I would be open to having a discussion on how gov't could encourage businesses to close for a day. God man the Sabbath for man, after all. Humans need rest and play along with their work.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.