Worldwide Church of God

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Worldwide Church of God

Post by jenna »

Has any out there ever heard of the Worldwide Church of God or of Herbert W. Armstrong? Please tell me if you have and what exactly do you think of this "religion"?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Worldwide Church of God

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Herbert is dead now. "Armstrongism" teaches a form of Replacement Theology in which the church inherits the promises made to Israel (the Jews.) Also, do a search on "British-Israelism." Armstrong believed that the US & British Commonwealth were in Prophecy.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Herbert is dead now. "Armstrongism" teaches a form of Replacement Theology in which the church inherits the promises made to Israel (the Jews.) Also, do a search on "British-Israelism." Armstrong believed that the US & British Commonwealth were in Prophecy.

FL
Yes, I know he is dead now. He died in the 1980's. But I guess what I'm asking is are his beliefs considered "heretical" or something similar? How do you feel about his beliefs?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:
Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Herbert is dead now. "Armstrongism" teaches a form of Replacement Theology in which the church inherits the promises made to Israel (the Jews.) Also, do a search on "British-Israelism." Armstrong believed that the US & British Commonwealth were in Prophecy.

FL
Yes, I know he is dead now. He died in the 1980's. But I guess what I'm asking is are his beliefs considered "heretical" or something similar? How do you feel about his beliefs?
I read somewhere recently that many followers of this religion are now leaning towards a more orthodox Christian belief system.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

FFC is correct. The followers of the WW Church of God are more orthodox in their beliefs now. Their magazine, The Plain Truth, even has contributors from orthodox Christianity...Steve Brown is the name I can think of at the moment. Evangelist Brown has a ministry called Keylife Network based in...Florida, I think.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:FFC is correct. The followers of the WW Church of God are more orthodox in their beliefs now. Their magazine, The Plain Truth, even has contributors from orthodox Christianity...Steve Brown is the name I can think of at the moment. Evangelist Brown has a ministry called Keylife Network based in...Florida, I think.

FL
I'm sorry, but "orthodox christianity"? I'm not sure what "orthodox" means.
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

This would be a good start to look at orthodox Christianity.

The basics, I guess you would call them...

http://www.godandscience.org/beliefs.html
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

zoegirl wrote:This would be a good start to look at orthodox Christianity.

Ok, I looked at this. I'm NOT trying to be difficult, or dumb, but I still dont understand the meaning of "orthodox" christianity. Please be patient and bear with me here, I'm still learning. Thanks.
Swamper
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

jenwat3 wrote:

Ok, I looked at this. I'm NOT trying to be difficult, or dumb, but I still dont understand the meaning of "orthodox" christianity. Please be patient and bear with me here, I'm still learning. Thanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox

Hope this helps.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Swamper wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox

Hope this helps.
Thank you for this. it did help some.
bizzt
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Did Armstrong not believe that there is no Holy Spirit and there really is only God the Father and God the Son? I remember reading his book some time ago. I kind of find it rather confusing how one can get the things he does from Scripture.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

bizzt wrote:Did Armstrong not believe that there is no Holy Spirit and there really is only God the Father and God the Son? I remember reading his book some time ago. I kind of find it rather confusing how one can get the things he does from Scripture.
Yes, he believed in the Holy Spirit. What he did not believe was that it was a separate being, or part of a trinity.
FFC

Post by FFC »

jenna wrote:
bizzt wrote:Did Armstrong not believe that there is no Holy Spirit and there really is only God the Father and God the Son? I remember reading his book some time ago. I kind of find it rather confusing how one can get the things he does from Scripture.
Yes, he believed in the Holy Spirit. What he did not believe was that it was a separate being, or part of a trinity.
Remember when you first started this thread under the guise of wanting to know about this particular sect, and then as it turned out you were a member? Good times. y:O2 :D :P
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

FFC wrote:
jenna wrote:
Remember when you first started this thread under the guise of wanting to know about this particular sect, and then as it turned out you were a member? Good times. y:O2 :D :P
No, I am not a member any longer of WCG. I wanted to know if anyone had heard of them, or Mr. Armstrong, so that they would know, in a sense, where my beliefs originate.
bizzt
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

First Problem about Mr Armstrong *taken from http://www.ondoctrine.com/10armsth.htm*

1. "Why should it seem strange that you will someday be the spirit-composed child of your heavenly Father? You will be what He is - God."
CAN we say MORMON Belief???

2. "God's PURPOSE in having created humanity - in having caused YOU to be born - is to reproduce Himself."
LIKE that was God's Purpose ooiiii

3. "The Word, then, is a Personage who was made flesh - begotten by God, who through this later begettal became his Father. So here we find revealed originally two Personages. One is God. But these two Personages were spirit, which is invisible to human eyes unless supernaturally manifested. Yet at the time described in verse one Jesus was not the Son of God and God was not his Father."
More Mormon Doctrine anyone?

Do you want more?