Different Religions

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I'm largely baptistic in my thinking. Broadly, I consider myself a Southern Baptist. That may change in the future, though, as there are at least two key points in the Baptist Faith and Message that I strongly disagree with:
  • Salvation involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, who by His own blood obtained eternal redemption for the believer. In its broadest sense salvation includes regeneration, justification, sanctification, and glorification. There is no salvation apart from personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord.

A. Regeneration, or the new birth, is a work of God's grace whereby believers become new creatures in Christ Jesus. It is a change of heart wrought by the Holy Spirit through conviction of sin, to which the sinner responds in repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Repentance and faith are inseparable experiences of grace.

Repentance is a genuine turning from sin toward God. Faith is the acceptance of Jesus Christ and commitment of the entire personality to Him as Lord and Saviour.
    All true believers endure to the end. Those whom God has accepted in Christ, and sanctified by His Spirit, will never fall away from the state of grace, but shall persevere to the end. Believers may fall into sin through neglect and temptation, whereby they grieve the Spirit, impair their graces and comforts, and bring reproach on the cause of Christ and temporal judgments on themselves; yet they shall be kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation. (emphasis added)
Now, the BF&M is by no means a creed, so I can disagree with this and still be a good Southern Baptist. But, rightly so, if I am to serve in any of their institutions--for example, if I were to teach at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary--I would have to sign off on those statements of belief. I couldn't do that.

I'm in the process of looking around at other denominations now. My theology professor has encouraged me to look into the Bible Church, although I don't see anything by that name on the internet. A friend of mine who is also considering the change has told me that their theology is broadly Weslyan, in which case, that wouldn't work for me.

You didn't ask for all of that, though ;). Long story short, I a member of and serve in a Southern Baptist church.

As for your question reguarding the CoC, yes, they believe they are the only people who are saved.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.