Christian Science

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

I'm not very educated about Christian Science. I've heard stories of children dying due to their parents not taking them to the hospital because of "trusting" God to heal them Himself, but not much more. Can anyone share some basic information about them and what's biblical and nonbiblical in their beliefs?
PHIL121
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by PHIL121 »

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, as well as in the Trinity thread, I believe on of thestrengths of Christian Science teaching is their stress on the non-material aspects of God.
"To live is Christ, to die is gain"..Philipians 1:21
My Blog
My walk with God
The Church, The State,and The Internet
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Genesis 50:2 - And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father: and the physicians embalmed Israel.

2 Chronicles 16:12 - And Asa in the thirty and ninth year of his reign was diseased in his feet, until his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease he sought not to the LORD, but to the physicians.

Job 13:4 - But ye are forgers of lies, ye are all physicians of no value.

Jeremiah 8:22 - Is there no balm in Gilead; is there no physician there? why then is not the health of the daughter of my people recovered?

Matthew 9:12 - But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

Mark 2:17 - When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mark 5:26 - And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,

Luke 4:23 - And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.

Luke 5:31 - And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.

Luke 8:43 - And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any,
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Christian Science

Post by Jbuza »

I have been thinking about this and I keep coming to the conclusion that this idea simply runs against my reason, and I think God created reason in us, so that we can test teachings like this. If I cut myself I automatically become concerned about it, and try to doctor myself.

I keep coming back to the scripture of the Good Samaritan, and it puts me at ease with seeking medical attention, but I think that prayer to God is also important as evidenced by 2 Chronicles 16:12 (above).

When Jesus tells the Story we know as the Good Samaritan, He tells about him bandaging the wounds and indicates that the Sumaritan has done good. Jesus doesn't indicate that the Suamritan is stealing God's Glory, but that the man did good by helping to care for the man who had been wounded.

Seems clear to me. Jesus in-fact here commands that we do as the Samaritan did. He does not suggest to do as the other two men and leave the man bleading and wounded for God to heal him.

Find this in Luke 10

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, 34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. 36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? 37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
jabez
Acquainted Member

Christian Science

Post by jabez »

kateliz wrote:I'm not very educated about Christian Science. I've heard stories of children dying due to their parents not taking them to the hospital because of "trusting" God to heal them Himself, but not much more. Can anyone share some basic information about them and what's biblical and nonbiblical in their beliefs?
Dear Kateliz and all: (I've just discovered this site!)

I'm a Christian Scientist who has brought up two children relying on God's power to heal -- to make whole -- His creation. There's nothing in the teachings of the religion that says you must not have medical help.

For ourselves (me and my husband) and our children we have turned first to Christian Science, because we have proved the effectiveness of scientific prayer, without any side effects; but if the healing of a child is delayed, or if there is a possibility of contagion, we have been obedient to our UK laws and called a doctor. (There's only the tenderest compassion for anyone who has felt they needed to do this, no recriminations.) :) We all have a lot to learn about God's infinite power to influence the human scene! Christ Jesus showed us that power through every pore of his being, and like all Christians we do pray deeply to follow him.

In our case, one time this happened the doctor was happy for us to continue with Christian Science treatment provided she was satisfied with the progress that the little one made --- and she was satisfied -- the healing was quicker than she expected! The only other time I can remember I made an appointment to see the doctor next day with our other child, only to find that all the symptons had dissapeared by the time the child was examined :D .

The best way to find out about Christian Science is to read for yourself the book Science and Health with Key to Scriptures written by the woman who founded the religion, Mary Baker Eddy. That way you can see for yourself what it's all about! :) We can all quote from any source without catching the real spirit, can't we?

Also, there's a website, spirituality.com, which is based on the ideas in that book. The site includes examples of people who live the religion, so that will give you a feel of how its adherents put the ideas in the book into practice. I know one of the ideas that comes up again and again on that site is love --- for God and our fellow-man -- and how to help the world through that love, given to us all by God.

I do hope this helps... every success in your research!

:) jabez
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: Christian Science

Post by Felgar »

jabez wrote:I'm a Christian Scientist who has brought up two children relying on God's power to heal -- to make whole -- His creation. There's nothing in the teachings of the religion that says you must not have medical help.
Cool... A real member of Christian Science. I've wanted to speak with one to get to the core of what you believe. It's funny that in another thread we were just discussing salvation and what it means for us. So I guess I'm ready; please answer the following yes/no questions, so we can begin to understand your faith. I look forward to talking with you.

Do you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe that He was raised from the dead?

Do you believe that you are a sinner who is justified freely by God's grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus?

Do you believe that you are born again with the blood of Jesus through the repentance of your sin and your acceptance of Jesus and the sacrifice that He has made on your behalf?
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

Thank you jabez, I very much appreciate your response and the attitude with which you wrote it. I have respect for those of much faith, and that is certainly what it takes to rely solely on our Saviour's finished work of 2,000 years ago for today's troubles.

I'd like you to know that I'm currently doing just that with regards to my health, seeing myself as called to not have health insurance at least for now. I do have trouble with having faith for God to heal my plantar fasciatis, (spelling?) and my bad back. Any advice that you could give me concerning these? They, especially my feet, hinder me, and I'd like to be free of them. Thanks again!
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

kateliz wrote:Thank you jabez, I very much appreciate your response and the attitude with which you wrote it. I have respect for those of much faith, and that is certainly what it takes to rely solely on our Saviour's finished work of 2,000 years ago for today's troubles.

I'd like you to know that I'm currently doing just that with regards to my health, seeing myself as called to not have health insurance at least for now. I do have trouble with having faith for God to heal my plantar fasciatis, (spelling?) and my bad back. Any advice that you could give me concerning these? They, especially my feet, hinder me, and I'd like to be free of them. Thanks again!
This is an Interesting Website for you Kate
http://www.health24.com/experts/Foot_ex ... tID=577329
http://www.yoursole.com/testimonials/pl ... ciitis.htm
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

Thanks for those bizzt, but they didn't help me. :) My foot and back pain aren't related. I've had plantar fasciitis since eighth grade. I think it began with a pair of Naturalizers that would bend and act as if I was barefoot. The pain got slowly worse over the years until I finally ended up stepping on rocks and large sticks in order to relieve them. If you push on the arch it stretches the taught... thing, (tenden?).

I finally had to do something about it though when while at Target with my sister and wearing sandals I found myself slipping out of my sandals when we'd stop and rubbing the arch against a little rod at the bottom of the cart. Then at home I'd take a pencil to them. Now I have foot wraps that I ordered from a foot catalogue that help perfectly, except that I can't wear them all the time and they have to be under the sock, suffocating my skin in a place where that's not a good idea! The catalogue sells shoes made for people with problems like that, and I've bought slippers from them for walking around the house, but the shoes are $200! I would, but I think that God can help me and have it not be such an expensive problem. The sandals were $70 themselves, (and I bought two pairs- one for the Nanny House and one for home.)

God can help me, but I lack the faith for it! I believe, but help me in my unbelief!

Oh, and my back pain, (which I had to take a very painful trip to the ER for a year and a half ago,) was most likely caused by my having my nephew bascially jump on my lower back over and over again to relieve what probably would have been a temporary pain. I actually got stuck on the floor and couldn't get up! I was bed-ridden for a few days afterward, not even able to laugh or cry for the pain. The meds they gave me did help a little though.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

kateliz wrote:Thanks for those bizzt, but they didn't help me. :) My foot and back pain aren't related. I've had plantar fasciitis since eighth grade. I think it began with a pair of Naturalizers that would bend and act as if I was barefoot. The pain got slowly worse over the years until I finally ended up stepping on rocks and large sticks in order to relieve them. If you push on the arch it stretches the taught... thing, (tenden?).

I finally had to do something about it though when while at Target with my sister and wearing sandals I found myself slipping out of my sandals when we'd stop and rubbing the arch against a little rod at the bottom of the cart. Then at home I'd take a pencil to them. Now I have foot wraps that I ordered from a foot catalogue that help perfectly, except that I can't wear them all the time and they have to be under the sock, suffocating my skin in a place where that's not a good idea! The catalogue sells shoes made for people with problems like that, and I've bought slippers from them for walking around the house, but the shoes are $200! I would, but I think that God can help me and have it not be such an expensive problem. The sandals were $70 themselves, (and I bought two pairs- one for the Nanny House and one for home.)

God can help me, but I lack the faith for it! I believe, but help me in my unbelief!

Oh, and my back pain, (which I had to take a very painful trip to the ER for a year and a half ago,) was most likely caused by my having my nephew bascially jump on my lower back over and over again to relieve what probably would have been a temporary pain. I actually got stuck on the floor and couldn't get up! I was bed-ridden for a few days afterward, not even able to laugh or cry for the pain. The meds they gave me did help a little though.
Thats terrible!
Have you had an MRI, maybe its something you can get taken care of surgically?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

kateliz wrote:Thanks for those bizzt, but they didn't help me. :) My foot and back pain aren't related. I've had plantar fasciitis since eighth grade. I think it began with a pair of Naturalizers that would bend and act as if I was barefoot. The pain got slowly worse over the years until I finally ended up stepping on rocks and large sticks in order to relieve them. If you push on the arch it stretches the taught... thing, (tenden?).

Wow that sounds Awful Kate. Definately pray for your Healing. However there is no reason why you should not try and get things to help take the Pain away. We can have all the Faith in the World but Even Paul had problems. I think the best is to have Believers surround you and lay hands on you. Where two or more are gathered he will be in the midst of you. As well for a Temp solution try Back Massages, Chiropractor, Physio...
jabez
Acquainted Member

Christian Science

Post by jabez »

kateliz wrote:Thank you jabez, I very much appreciate your response and the attitude with which you wrote it. I have respect for those of much faith, and that is certainly what it takes to rely solely on our Saviour's finished work of 2,000 years ago for today's troubles.

Dear kateliz

I've e-mailed you separately :)
Have you looked at the website? I think you'll find it'll give you some really healing ways to pray for today's world. And it will help to strengthen your faith in God's power to heal. It does mine.
:D jabez
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

No, BGood, I don't need surgery. That much I know myself. And bizzt, I'm not so sure those would help eigher, (but listen to me talk as if I know exactly what's wrong!)

I made a small mistake in what I said before. I made it sound like I had to go to the ER right after my nephew was "jumping" (with his butt) on my back, but it was a week later. During that time I had one or two clues there was something wrong, (got stuck having to stand perfectly still in a store once until the pain went away,) but when it really came I had to lay right down on the floor at the Nanny House with the then 4 year old. It got worse even just laying there but I couldn't move and was crying in pain. I told the four year old (Nicole) to look for the one cordless phone in the house, and while she was looking downstairs... she got sidetracked playing!!! Ugh! She came up again wearing play clothes! While I was crying on the floor, couldn't move, and telling her I might need to go to the hospital!!! :lol: I was at her mercy in great pain and she wanted to play. :roll: :)

I had to then, after she couldn't find the phone or the battery in it was dead, slowly make my very painful way to the corded phone only fifteen feet from me. I was able to very, very slowly get up and into a chair, and then made my calls. The mom came home and my sister came and took me to the ER, having been stuck in that same chair all the while. It was an extremely painful ride there. Then I had to sit in that pain in a wheelchair, (couldn't walk from the car of course,) in the waiting room for forever. When they finally got to me they gave me a shot for the pain and I went home to be bedridden with meds like I said before. Lots of fun- and I was only 19!

The past few days my back has been hurting again because I crawled around in a McDonald's PlayPlace with Nicole, now six. And doing other physical things too. Plan to today as well!

Thanks jabez! But what website are you talking about? I read the ones bizzt gave me; are you talking about the God and Science site? If so, no, I haven't read anything from there since just after I started talking on the forum! :) Feel kind of bad about that because I know the forum was made to just be a part of the site and not the main feature, but.... I will read your e-mail now! :D

Oh, right! spirituality.com. Will check that out.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

Gosh darn my computer! Well, Jessica's. Now it won't let me get back to my mailbox!!! Before it wouldn't let me get on this site. I'll have to read it later jabez, sorry!
jabez
Acquainted Member

Re: Christian Science

Post by jabez »

[quote="Felgar"] Cool... A real member of Christian Science. I've wanted to speak with one to get to the core of what you believe. It's funny that in another thread we were just discussing salvation and what it means for us. So I guess I'm ready; please answer the following yes/no questions, so we can begin to understand your faith. I look forward to talking with you.

Hello Felgar, nice to meet you!
Can I get back to you more fully shortly? But in the mean time, can you point me to the thread where you were discussiong salvation --- I haven't been able to find it.... :)

Thanks!

jabez