Are the SDA a cult or just heterodox?

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
thatkidakayoungguy
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Are the SDA a cult or just heterodox?

Postby thatkidakayoungguy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:09 am

I don't want to fling mud or at least I shouldn't want to, but some of their theology is questionable. I get their idea of eating right and health laws and restrictions like not wearing jewerly etc are meant for good intentions that one would want to do as a Christian, however it seems they border on legalism.
Then there is the coverup in the SDA church on where ppl expose Ellen White as being a false prophet and get kicked out.
They also say that having the sabbath on Sunday is wrong and will eventually become the mark of the beast. Paul says you can have the sabbath on any day. And yes, they claim that Paul meant the "several yearly sabbaths" during the time when Moses' law was in effect.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Are the SDA a cult or just heterodox?

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:13 am

Define cult?

Philip
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Day-Age

Postby Philip » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 pm

The SDA CHURCH has many false beliefs - particularly their reverence for various personal teachings of Ellen White - of which they appear to revere as if Scripture itself: https://www.adventist.org/en/utility/search/sr/-/type%3Acommentaries/?q=ellen%20white. But they also teach Scripture to be infallible and inspired by God: https://www.adventist.org/en/beliefs/god/holy-scriptures/, and that Jesus is God, that God is ONE and a Trinity: https://www.adventist.org/en/beliefs/god/trinity/article/go/-/god-in-three-persons/ But they deny the teachings of Colossians 2:16 and Romans 14:5 with their hyper-focus upon a proper week DAY for honoring a Sabbath, as opposed to the proper focus that, WHATEVER day one chooses for a Sabbath, it is their focus on the Lord in worship that truly matters. Certainly, their obsession with whatever babblings of Ellen White, their refusal to denounce her errors, their hyperfocus on dietary practices, etc., are distractful, at best, and highly misleading, at worst.

But almost every large denomination has held, at one time or another, to teachings that were merely traditions that (in the minds of those practicing them) began to be thought equal to Scripture. But, bottom line for SDA - they DO teach faith in a Jesus/God is what saves a person.

RickD
Board Moderator

Postby RickD » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:20 pm

28 Fundamental SDA Beliefs

For reference.

They definitely have some false teachings, at the very least. Possibly cultic.

The requirement to observe the sabbath, by the very act, denies Christ. The sabbath was to point ahead to the rest we have in Christ. By the act of requiring that the sabbath still be observed, whatever day, denies that Christ has come and given us rest in him.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

thatkidakayoungguy
Advanced Senior Member

Postby thatkidakayoungguy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:35 pm

RickD wrote:28 Fundamental SDA Beliefs

For reference.

The requirement to observe the sabbath, by the very act, denies Christ. The sabbath was to point ahead to the rest we have in Christ. By the act of requiring that the sabbath still be observed, whatever day, denies that Christ has come and given us rest in him.

I never thought of that.
Usually they say it's required bc of the 10 commandments n bc it's good to give the mind a day of mental rest and the body one too. However, doing good things on the Sabbath was permitted by Jesus.
Do you think God will hold them accountable for that? I have relatives and family friends that are SDA. I don't want them to go to hell-nor other ppl-bc of this.

RickD
Board Moderator

Postby RickD » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:14 pm

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:

For reference.

I never thought of that.
Usually they say it's required bc of the 10 commandments n bc it's good to give the mind a day of mental rest and the body one too. However, doing good things on the Sabbath was permitted by Jesus.
Do you think God will hold them accountable for that? I have relatives and family friends that are SDA. I don't want them to go to hell-nor other ppl-bc of this.

It's possible that a SDA can be saved. Much of their theology is consistent with scripture. But, there are false teachings also.
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:

thatkidakayoungguy
Advanced Senior Member

Postby thatkidakayoungguy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 pm

RickD wrote:

For reference.

I never thought of that.

It's possible that a SDA can be saved. Much of their theology is consistent with scripture. But, there are false teachings also.

What do you think about the investigative judgement doctrine? Is it sound? It kinda makes sense but God knows everything already.

RickD
Board Moderator

Postby RickD » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:08 pm

RickD wrote:

For reference.

I never thought of that.

What do you think about the investigative judgement doctrine? Is it sound? It kinda makes sense but God knows everything already.

What do you think about what this link says?

Audie wrote:

thatkidakayoungguy
Advanced Senior Member

Postby thatkidakayoungguy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:46 pm

RickD wrote:
RickD wrote:

For reference.

I never thought of that.

What do you think about what this link says?

Yea, it's a false doctrine. It was started by some dude who had a vision of God entering something like the Holiest of Holies and the SDA camp used that to explain away the 1844 error of William Miller.

Ged
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Postby Ged » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:28 am

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:I don't want to fling mud or at least I shouldn't want to, but some of their theology is questionable. I get their idea of eating right and health laws and restrictions like not wearing jewerly etc are meant for good intentions that one would want to do as a Christian, however it seems they border on legalism.
Then there is the coverup in the SDA church on where ppl expose Ellen White as being a false prophet and get kicked out.
They also say that having the sabbath on Sunday is wrong and will eventually become the mark of the beast. Paul says you can have the sabbath on any day. And yes, they claim that Paul meant the "several yearly sabbaths" during the time when Moses' law was in effect.

SDA (and related Millerites) were the nut cases of the 19th century in the same way as dispensationalists were the nut cases of the 20th century.

We only have to look at recent rapture predictions to ask ourselves who were the worst. The answer is to go back to Acts 1:7 and repent of the sin of 'prophet-try-hard-ism'
"Your name and renown
is the desire of our hearts."
(Isaiah 26:8)

thatkidakayoungguy
Advanced Senior Member

Postby thatkidakayoungguy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:41 am

Would you say William Miller was a sincere dude who repented?
I want to say yes.

JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Postby JButler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:38 pm

Somewhere I read the worst lie is one that's 98% true. That's how I view a lot of institutions and their manifestos.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.

thatkidakayoungguy
Advanced Senior Member

Postby thatkidakayoungguy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Some interesting-and concerning-things I found. SDA is borderline legalistic at best, and I think while they have good intentions they go too far, if this is accurate-http://leavingsda.com/seventh-day-adventist-cult/
*I must say that link does not describe all Advents. Ik, bc of family. They are more like regular conservatives.

Return to “Aberrant Christianity”