Thoughts on YEC

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Thoughts on YEC

Post by Storyteller »

I want to know more about YEC beliefs!

I`m still deciding on my creation stance and to be fair and impartial I need to look into YEC more.

What I think I know about YEc is this...

The world was created in literal 6 days.
The world is made to look older than it really is.
Adam and Eve were formed as fully grown adults (weird I have never thought about their age!)
Dinosaurs and man co-existed(?)

Jac (or anyone else really, especially if you are YEC)

In a nutshell, what exactly is essential to YEC beliefs? And, if possible, why you believe it (or not)?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Thoughts on YEC

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:I want to know more about YEC beliefs!

I`m still deciding on my creation stance and to be fair and impartial I need to look into YEC more.

What I think I know about YEc is this...

1) The world was created in literal 6 days.
2) The world is made to look older than it really is.
3) Adam and Eve were formed as fully grown adults (weird I have never thought about their age!)
4) Dinosaurs and man co-existed(?)

Jac (or anyone else really, especially if you are YEC)

5) In a nutshell, what exactly is essential to YEC beliefs? And, if possible, why you believe it (or not)?
I'll take a stab at it Annette.
1) yes. Most YECs believe 6 twenty-four hour days.
2) not necessarily. There are YECs who believe the earth looks young. For example, there's Jason Lisle, an astrophysicist who has worked with Answers in Genesis(not sure if he's still affiliated with them). Mr. Lisle, as an astrophysicist, actually believes the universe looks thousands of years old.
3) yes. In YEC, adam was an adult when he was formed by God. And so was Eve. But, Day-Age/Progressive Creationists also believe Adam and Eve were created as adults.
4) yes. In YEC, man and dinosaurs had to coexist. Well, maybe not coexist, so much as live at the same time. They may not have lived in the same area.
5) adherence to what they believe is the proper interpretation to scripture, is the most essential part of being a YEC, IMO.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Thanks Rick :)

That helps, kinda.

I think, right now, I guess I can go with 6 24 hour days (though I`d find it a stretch but couldn`t justify why)

Can`t see the universe as young, though depends what you`re comparing it to.

Happy with Adam and Eve being created as adults.

I guess dinosaurs and man may have been around at the same time in different areas. (Again a bit of a stretch and can`t explain why)

Proper interpretation of Scripture? Where to start? I have enough of a job trying to figure out what it means! How do I know what`s the proper interpretation?

I suppose what I want is someone who believes in YEC to explain why.

JAC???????
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Young earth creationists also believe the earth is 6-10,000 years old based on Usher's biblical chronology from Adam and Eve to Jesus,this is where they get a young earth from.I've heard that there are young earthers who stretch it out longer than 10,000 years however they are in the minority,the vast majority believe 6-10,000 years old.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ussher_chronology
Last edited by abelcainsbrother on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Thanks Rick :)

That helps, kinda.

I think, right now, I guess I can go with 6 24 hour days (though I`d find it a stretch but couldn`t justify why)

I guess dinosaurs and man may have been around at the same time in different areas. (Again a bit of a stretch and can`t explain why)

Proper interpretation of Scripture? Where to start? I have enough of a job trying to figure out what it means! How do I know what`s the proper interpretation?

JAC???????
Annette,

I can tell you why Jac believes in YEC. It's because he believes scripture, when interpreted properly, teaches YEC. Jac has admitted that he's not a scientist. So, the scientific arguments don't really make much of an argument for Jac.

Annette,

I simply look at the issue this way...I believe God is the author of scripture. AND, God is the creator of the universe. Both scripture and nature, are evidence of God. If God created the universe, and He is the author of scripture, there CANNOT be any contradictions between the two. Any contradictions we see between nature and scripture, comes from our own faulty interpretation of scripture, or our own faulty interpretation of the evidence in nature.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

I agree with Rick that nature that God created and the bible will go hand in hand when we have the right interpretation.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Thanks Rick :)

That helps, kinda.

JAC???????
Annette,

I can tell you why Jac believes in YEC. It's because he believes scripture, when interpreted properly, teaches YEC. Jac has admitted that he's not a scientist. So, the scientific arguments don't really make much of an argument for Jac.

Annette,

I simply look at the issue this way...I believe God is the author of scripture. AND, God is the creator of the universe. Both scripture and nature, are evidence of God. If God created the universe, and He is the author of scripture, there CANNOT be any contradictions between the two. Any contradictions we see between nature and scripture, comes from our own faulty interpretation of scripture, or our own faulty interpretation of the evidence in nature.
I really hope Jac responds to this thread then :)

Absolutely agree with your second point.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

im interested too..and yet to make a decision...really interesting reading peoples views
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

Storyteller wrote:The world was created in literal 6 days.
It was created in 6 literal days but they may not have been 24 hour days because the events connected with the Flood might have affected the speed at which the earth rotates. https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -the-days/

Most YEC believers believe that the whole universe was created during this six day period. I am in a minority among them in that I don't believe this. Here is the reason for my belief: https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/ ... -universe/

Adam and Eve were formed as fully grown adults (weird I have never thought about their age!)
The world was made fully functional but was not intended to look any specific age. The same thing is true of Adam and Eve. If someone traveled back in time and saw Adam and Eve just after their creation but had know knowledge of their background he would assume they were older than they really are because he would assume they had been conceived, born, and grown to adulthood just as other people have.

To accurately measure the age of the world it is necessary to know how it came into existence. The scientific "evidence" that shows the earth is billions of years old is all based on the belief that it developed entirely by natural processes rather than being created by God.

Today the world looks old because it is old. https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/ ... looks-old/
“Behold, Behemoth,
which I made as I made you;
he eats grass like an ox.
Behold, his strength in his loins,
and his power in the muscles of his belly.
He makes his tail stiff like a cedar;
the sinews of his thighs are knit together.
His bones are tubes of bronze,
his limbs like bars of iron.
“He is the first of the works of God;
let him who made him bring near his sword!
For the mountains yield food for him
where all the wild beasts play.
Under the lotus plants he lies,
in the shelter of the reeds and in the marsh.
For his shade the lotus trees cover him;
the willows of the brook surround him.
Behold, if the river is turbulent he is not frightened;
he is confident though Jordan rushes against his mouth.
Can one take him by his eyes,
or pierce his nose with a snare?
(Job 40:15-24 ESV)
What animal can you think of that fits this description? I have heard the claim made that it is a hippopotamus but this explanation is contradicted by this statement: "He makes his tail stiff like a cedar." The tail of a hippo is small and has no resemblance to a cedar tree. On the other hand we know there were dinosaurs with very big tails.

And what about the dragon legends that are found all over the world? Don't the descriptions of dragons sound like dinosaurs?
In a nutshell, what exactly is essential to YEC beliefs? And, if possible, why you believe it (or not)?
First it is the only belief that is consistent with taking the Bible literally. If you adopt another belief then you have to find a way to interpret the creation account to make it fit your belief.

There is scientific evidence that doesn't fit the belief that the world is old. You can find some of it here:

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-f ... ung-earth/

People who believe in an old earth either ignore this evidence or try to explain it away.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

theophilus wrote:
Storyteller wrote:The world was created in literal 6 days.
It was created in 6 literal days but they may not have been 24 hour days because the events connected with the Flood might have affected the speed at which the earth rotates. https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -the-days/

Most YEC believers believe that the whole universe was created during this six day period. I am in a minority among them in that I don't believe this. Here is the reason for my belief: https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/ ... -universe/

The world was made fully functional but was not intended to look any specific age. The same thing is true of Adam and Eve. If someone traveled back in time and saw Adam and Eve just after their creation but had know knowledge of their background he would assume they were older than they really are because he would assume they had been conceived, born, and grown to adulthood just as other people have.

To accurately measure the age of the world it is necessary to know how it came into existence. The scientific "evidence" that shows the earth is billions of years old is all based on the belief that it developed entirely by natural processes rather than being created by God.

Today the world looks old because it is old. https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/ ... looks-old/
“Behold, Behemoth,
which I made as I made you;
he eats grass like an ox.
Behold, his strength in his loins,
and his power in the muscles of his belly.
He makes his tail stiff like a cedar;
the sinews of his thighs are knit together.
His bones are tubes of bronze,
his limbs like bars of iron.
“He is the first of the works of God;
let him who made him bring near his sword!
For the mountains yield food for him
where all the wild beasts play.
Under the lotus plants he lies,
in the shelter of the reeds and in the marsh.
For his shade the lotus trees cover him;
the willows of the brook surround him.
Behold, if the river is turbulent he is not frightened;
he is confident though Jordan rushes against his mouth.
Can one take him by his eyes,
or pierce his nose with a snare?
(Job 40:15-24 ESV)
What animal can you think of that fits this description? I have heard the claim made that it is a hippopotamus but this explanation is contradicted by this statement: "He makes his tail stiff like a cedar." The tail of a hippo is small and has no resemblance to a cedar tree. On the other hand we know there were dinosaurs with very big tails.

And what about the dragon legends that are found all over the world? Don't the descriptions of dragons sound like dinosaurs?
First it is the only belief that is consistent with taking the Bible literally. If you adopt another belief then you have to find a way to interpret the creation account to make it fit your belief.

There is scientific evidence that doesn't fit the belief that the world is old. You can find some of it here:

People who believe in an old earth either ignore this evidence or try to explain it away.
An alligator = Leviathan and elephant = behomoth.A cedar tree is not big,if it was a dinosaur it would say red wood.Behomoth describes an elephant the Hebrew word tail means swinging back and forth and does not necessarily mean tail,it can be a tail or trunk of an elephant especially when you think of a cedar.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller,

As you can see, it's not a topic that can be understood without doing some studying. And it's made more difficult when people such as Theophilus make assertions that simply aren't accurate. Which confuses the whole subject. For example, Theophilus wrote:
There are other signs of a person's age besides just being fully grown. Wrinkles, sun damage, etc. So, If someone who knew what he was looking for, went back in time and examined Adam the same day Adam was created, he would not think Adam got to that point by aging like others who were born.

That's just not true. The evidence that shows the earth is billions of years old, just shows that it's billions of years old. That evidence is not based on naturalism.
First it (YEC)is the only belief that is consistent with taking the Bible literally. If you adopt another belief then you have to find a way to interpret the creation account to make it fit your belief.
That again is simply not true. Day-Age/Progressive creationism, at least as promoted by Reasons.org, and this website Evidence for God from Science, takes the bible literally.

People who believe in an old earth DO NOT ignore this evidence. Nor do we try to explain it away. We interpret the evidence differently.

Frankly Theophilus, you have been warned multiple time regarding misrepresenting other people's beliefs. And my patience with this is growing thin. Please stop.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Theophilus's post is interesting to me though Rick. I like to see opposing ideas, even if they arent widespread or approved of. Interesting idea that the verse could refer to dinosaurs if you read it that way, or an elephant as ACB suggests.
I will take a lok at the links anyway, and at least consider his points.

There is a lot of interesting stuff on this thread and I shall spend a few days reviewing it all.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

YE's accuse OEC's of doing what they do,they cram all of the evidence of death and extinction into Noah's flood even though there is no way they can make it fit,but then they try to say dinosaurs walked with man and yet dinosaurs were wiped out millions of years ago and make dinosaurs fit into what God describes to Job in the book of Job.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Theophilus's post is interesting to me though Rick. I like to see opposing ideas, even if they arent widespread or approved of. Interesting idea that the verse could refer to dinosaurs if you read it that way, or an elephant as ACB suggests.

There is a lot of interesting stuff on this thread and I shall spend a few days reviewing it all.
That's fine Annette. I want you to consider his points. But what I don't want, is for you to be mislead about what creation stances that are opposed to Theophilus' version of YEC, actually believe.

The idea that YEC is the only creation belief that interprets the bible literally, particularly bothers me. Because at best, it's a misunderstanding of how OECs interpret scripture. And at worst, it's a deceptive lie, to unfairly represent what others with opposing views, believe. And in the case of Theophilus, since I've explained this to him before, it's disturbing.

He continues to misrepresent what others believe. And that's willfully dishonest. And there's no place for that on these boards.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Storyteller wrote:Theophilus's post is interesting to me though Rick. I like to see opposing ideas, even if they arent widespread or approved of. Interesting idea that the verse could refer to dinosaurs if you read it that way, or an elephant as ACB suggests.

ST this stuff is interesting too so I don't see how you could be bored.I myself like to learn more about God's word and the evidence in the earth that confirms it true.