Young earth, old universe

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Young earth, old universe

Post by Audie »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Audie wrote:How could so many have mermaids, little people, dragons, invincible warriors,god-kings.....I kinda think the answer is inside the human mind. What do you think?
Mermaids: sunbaked sailors with too much rum ration in their bloodstream and no women in sight...even manatees start to look good.

Little people (Scandinavian trolls): campfire stories told by inebriated men to frighten children and women.

Dragons: a catch-all term to describe any lizard.

God-kings: we are still doing this one today: Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, ad nauseum...

FL y:-B

You do know what I mean? I cant even tell.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Audie wrote:You do know what I mean? I cant even tell.
Uh...I think you were making a rapprochement - a link - between the products of man's imagination (mermaids, dragons, trolls and the god-like) with the God of the Bible.

Either that or you've had too much sake...

FL :lol:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
theophilus
Valued Member
Sex: Male

Post by theophilus »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Dragons: a catch-all term to describe any lizard.
The word "dinosaur" was invented in 1842. Before that time dinosaurs were known as dragons.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:
theophilus wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Are you suggesting they ALL took place at the same time?
Here is a good place to start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flood_myths

They Chinese great flood is a very interesting example.
How could so many people all over the world have myths about a worldwide flood unless such a flood actually happened?
How could so many have mermaids, little people, dragons, invincible warriors,god-kings.....

I kinda think the answer is inside the human mind. What do you think?
If we look deep enough into any "legend" or "myth" you will always find a truth.
It may not be the one you are looking for or even one you decide to accept ( for whatever reason) BUT behind all legends and myths there is ALWAYS something there.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Audie wrote:
theophilus wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Are you suggesting they ALL took place at the same time?
Here is a good place to start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flood_myths

They Chinese great flood is a very interesting example.
How could so many people all over the world have myths about a worldwide flood unless such a flood actually happened?
How could so many have mermaids, little people, dragons, invincible warriors,god-kings.....

I kinda think the answer is inside the human mind. What do you think?
If we look deep enough into any "legend" or "myth" you will always find a truth.
It may not be the one you are looking for or even one you decide to accept ( for whatever reason) BUT behind all legends and myths there is ALWAYS something there.

"Truth" is a religion or philosophy thing. I suppose there is some level of 'truth" in stories of little people. Or various flood legends, or tales of flying saucer abductions.

Whatever truth is in the bible story of a flood seems up to the individual to find.

The facts of the flood story and the spiritual truths of it are two quite distinct things.

The facts, of course, are not what everyone is looking for. They might not like what they find. :D
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

theophilus wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Dragons: a catch-all term to describe any lizard.
The word "dinosaur" was invented in 1842. Before that time dinosaurs were known as dragons.
OK...so? The lizards I've seen are as ugly as dinosaurs, just smaller.
Audie wrote:"Truth" is a religion or philosophy thing. I suppose there is some level of 'truth" in stories of little people. Or various flood legends, or tales of flying saucer abductions.
Some level of truth in stories of trolls and flying saucer abductions? Are you OK, Audie? y@-)

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
Those aren't ugly lizards...they're French Canadians. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

theophilus wrote:
Audie wrote:"Truth" is a religion or philosophy thing. I suppose there is some level of 'truth" in stories of little people. Or various flood legends, or tales of flying saucer abductions.
Some level of truth in stories of trolls and flying saucer abductions? Are you OK, Audie? y@-)

FL y:-?
AreYOU ok?
Is that the level of understanding of the topic, or are you just popping in to make a quip about nothing?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Audie wrote:AreYOU ok?Is that the level of understanding of the topic, or are you just popping in to make a quip about nothing?
If you honestly think there is any truth whatsoever to stories about trolls and flying saucer abductions, you need to see a doctor soon.

FL :shakehead:

+ + +

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
FL wrote:
Those aren't ugly lizards...they're French Canadians. :mrgreen:
I do agree. I avoid French Canadians whenever possible. This is why I stay away from Florida. I found Cuba to be filled with F-Canadians as well, especially Varadero but Havana was free of them. They tend to swarm to beaches and shopping centers...

FL y8-X

+ + +

+ + +
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Audie wrote:AreYOU ok?Is that the level of understanding of the topic, or are you just popping in to make a quip about nothing?
If you honestly think there is any truth whatsoever to stories about trolls and flying saucer abductions, you need to see a doctor soon.

FL :shakehead:
There are ideas such as little people, giants, dragons, great floods, god kings who will return, people who csn fly, evil spirits, etc that reflect something about the human mind. I suppose one who felt generous could call them
"truths" about the human mind.

If there is "truth" in the flood myths, that is the kind of truth it is.

Sorry if a place to use snarky quips is all you want from me. I hope not.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Audie wrote:There are ideas such as little people, giants, dragons, great floods, god kings who will return, people who csn fly, evil spirits, etc that reflect something about the human mind. I suppose one who felt generous could call them"truths" about the human mind.
No...you said that trolls and flying saucer abductions had ''some level of 'truth''':
Audie wrote: I suppose there is some level of 'truth" in stories of little people... or tales of flying saucer abductions.
I'm saying that only a fool would believe that. As for floods, these continually occur, so including them with a belief in trolls and UFO abductions is ''intellectually dishonest'' as you like to say. Giants, god-kings, dragons, flying men and other Hollywood foolishness also belong to Idiotville. Evil spirits do exist, and prisons are full of criminals to prove it.

Try to stay level headed and not go into the Fruitcake Zone.

FL :D

+ + +

+ + +
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Audie wrote:There are ideas such as little people, giants, dragons, great floods, god kings who will return, people who csn fly, evil spirits, etc that reflect something about the human mind. I suppose one who felt generous could call them"truths" about the human mind.
No...you said that trolls and flying saucer abductions had ''some level of 'truth''':
Audie wrote: I suppose there is some level of 'truth" in stories of little people... or tales of flying saucer abductions.
I'm saying that only a fool would believe that. As for floods, these continually occur, so including them with a belief in trolls and UFO abductions is ''intellectually dishonest'' as you like to say. Giants, god-kings, dragons, flying men and other Hollywood foolishness also belong to Idiotville. Evil spirits do exist, and prisons are full of criminals to prove it.

Try to stay level headed and not go into the Fruitcake Zone.

If you are saying there are no truths in myths in or out of the bible thats fine.
I dont agree, but "truths" is left undefined.

There is no literal truth in the flood story.

There is no truth of any kind in your claim that i mentioned trolls.
I meant what I said about being snarky.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Audie wrote:If you are saying there are no truths in myths in or out of the bible thats fine.
You are confused and you jump to conclusions with disconcerting ease. Let me spell it out for you so that you understand clearly:

I am saying that there is no truth whatsoever in stories about Scandinavian trolls - what you call ''little people'' - and UFO abductions.
Audie wrote:There is no literal truth in the flood story.
Irrelevent to this discussion. One thing at a time:

Are you able to say that ''little people'' and UFO abductions have no basis in reality?

+ + +

+ + +
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Audie wrote:If you are saying there are no truths in myths in or out of the bible thats fine.
You are confused and you jump to conclusions with disconcerting ease. Let me spell it out for you so that you understand clearly:

I am saying that there is no truth whatsoever in stories about Scandinavian trolls - what you call ''little people'' - and UFO abductions.
Audie wrote:There is no literal truth in the flood story.
Irrelevent to this discussion. One thing at a time:

Are you able to say that ''little people'' and UFO abductions have no basis in reality?

I don't intend to throw this thread off topic, but I guess some truth is subject to an individual's reality. I was exactly like you FL, I didn't believe in the UFO thing at all. I actually laughed and mocked people who claimed otherwise untill my reality got a swift kick up the behind. I'm so very glad that I was not alone when I had my very real, very up close, very unexplainable encounter, thank God, literally, that there was no abduction involved. I know how it sounds, but that doesn't change my reality. And I don't expect people to believe me or take it on face value, because if I hadn't seen it for myself I wouldn't believe a second hand account either.