Finally Picked a creation stance.

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Finally Picked a creation stance.

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:If the Bible states it as happening in 6 literal days then why do you not believe it?

(And all I am doing here is trying to understand what people believe and why)
Neo,

Be honest. You believe the bible, when interpreted properly, shows YEC. But you're convinced evolution is true. So, you simply choose evolution over scripture. At least the part of scripture that you believe shows YEC is the intended meaning.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:
Storyteller wrote:neo?

Do you believe God created the universe in 6 literal 24 hour periods then?
I don't, but that was what Moses wrote and believed, and it is what the Bible says. So whatever we may or must believe in order to satisfy our own intellect, shall we say, it is also always good to see what the text intended to say.
Annette,

To be fair, people have used the same method of interpreting scripture, the historical grammatical method, and have interpreted the text to allow for a YEC or an OEC interpretation. In other words, we have a group of people who interpret scripture using the HG method. Some will believe YEC fits. Some believe OEC fits.

So, there are some who don't believe Moses was trying to convey YEC in Genesis.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:If the Bible states it as happening in 6 literal days then why do you not believe it?

Neo,

Be honest. You believe the bible, when interpreted properly, shows YEC. But you're convinced evolution is true. So, you simply choose evolution over scripture. At least the part of scripture that you believe shows YEC is the intended meaning.
Did I say otherwise? I clearly said, I don't believe it but that is what the Bible says.

And by the way I didn't simply "choose evolution", there was sweat and a lot of prayers involved.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:

I don't, but that was what Moses wrote and believed, and it is what the Bible says. So whatever we may or must believe in order to satisfy our own intellect, shall we say, it is also always good to see what the text intended to say.
Annette,

To be fair, people have used the same method of interpreting scripture, the historical grammatical method, and have interpreted the text to allow for a YEC or an OEC interpretation. In other words, we have a group of people who interpret scripture using the HG method. Some will believe YEC fits. Some believe OEC fits.

No wonder it`s so hard to choose then!

Still, all this helping....

a bit. :P
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:

Annette,

No wonder it`s so hard to choose then!

Still, all this helping....

a bit. :P
Don't worry about it, the church, throughout its 2000 years old history has never agreed to one stance or another. Even church fathers had disputes on this. St. Augustine for instance believed that all creation was not done in 6 days but rather instantly, all in one go, in a mere blink of an eye. So whatever you choose, there will be good arguments for it and good arguments against it.

Someone picks up YEC, some OEC others dayage and PC etc, all in error ofcourse :mrgreen:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:

Annette,

To be fairest Rick, please also mention that no one thought of it, until we discovered fossils, rock dating methods and (for the sake of your agreement ) micro-evolution.

Ann, its not the interpretation which is important, rather how ones gets the interpretation. For instance if your interpretation runs counter to author's intent, then you have an interpretation, but a wrong one.

without.

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Interesting debates to be had all round then huh? :D

So...

so far I have Day Age, PC, OEC.

Is Day Age the same as OEC?

How on earth do you discover an authors intent? :esurprised:
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:
RickD wrote:

Neo,

Did I say otherwise? I clearly said, I don't believe it but that is what the Bible says.

And by the way I didn't simply "choose evolution", there was sweat and a lot of prayers involved.
Neo,
I didn't mean to imply that how you got to the point of what you believe now, was a simple decision. What I mean is that on one hand you have nature, which you believe shows the ToE to be true. And on the other hand you have scripture, which you believe shows YEC to be what was meant by the author. And after weighing those out, you just (simply) believe in the evidence of evolution, over inerrancy of scripture.

What I'm asking, is for you not to sugar coat that. For most Christians I know, in fact all, inerrancy of scripture is very important.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:
RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:

Annette,

To be fairest Rick, please also mention that no one thought of it, until we discovered fossils, rock dating methods and (for the sake of your agreement ) micro-evolution.

Ann, its not the interpretation which is important, rather how ones gets the interpretation. For instance if your interpretation runs counter to author's intent, then you have an interpretation, but a wrong one.
And if the author's intent wasn't to show how long it took for God to create, then believing the text allows for an OEC interpretation does not run counter to the author's intent.

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Storyteller wrote:Interesting debates to be had all round then huh? :D

So...

You treat the text in its own context and ask yourself these questions:

1. What is the point of the story?
2. Who is the audience?
3. What would it mean to the audience?
4. How is this particular part of the text, referenced by other authors in the scripture
5. Keeping in mind Q1,2,3 What is more likely suggested by the language and the grammar of the text?
6. How would this text read in its day and age and what would it likely mean?

This should be a good start without going into much heavy textual criticism.

PC, DAY AGE, T.E, and Gap theory all fall under OEC.

without.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:
RickD wrote:

Neo,

Neo,
I didn't mean to imply that how you got to the point of what you believe now, was a simple decision. What I mean is that on one hand you have nature, which you believe shows the ToE to be true. And on the other hand you have scripture, which you believe shows YEC to be what was meant by the author. And after weighing those out, you just (simply) believe in the evidence of evolution, over inerrancy of scripture.

What I'm asking, is for you not to sugar coat that. For most Christians I know, in fact all, inerrancy of scripture is very important.
I clearly said, the scriptures in Genesis are in error, how is that sugar coating?

without.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Interesting debates to be had all round then huh? :D

So...

Annette,

Day Age and PC are both subsets of OEC.

If I say I hold to a Day Age/PC creation position, I'm being more specific about the kind of OEC that I hold to.

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:
RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:

Annette,

And if the author's intent wasn't to show how long it took for God to create, then believing the text allows for an OEC interpretation does not run counter to the author's intent.
If that had been the case there would be no dispute. But that isn't so, 500 years ago you and me both would have had no trouble accepting the YEC interpretation, as far as scripture is concerned. You know why? because there was no such thing as OEC merited in the scripture. This position was made so that the science findings and the biblical claims could be aligned, as close as possible.

without.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:
RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:
RickD wrote:

Neo,

Neo,

I clearly said, the scriptures in Genesis are in error, how is that sugar coating?
Ok. I just want it to be clear, that's all. Like I said biblical inerrancy is a big issue to most believers.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

This isn`t going to be an easy decision is it?

Okay, so I need to look into PC and Day Age then. See if that helps at all.

This is great fun btw!