Good Article from Conservative Scholars on Genesis Context

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Good Article from Conservative Scholars on Genesis Context

Post by Canuckster1127 »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed ... stand-rjs/

I like this article from scholars from Dallas Theological Seminary and Lancaster Bible College. I think it's a worthwhile blog and the book looks interesting as well.

The question, however, is not “How can I trust the Bible if it does not mean what it says?” What this question is really asking is, “Can I trust the Bible if it does not mean that I thought it meant from my context when I originally read it, before I understood what it would have meant to the original readers?” -- Johnny Miller & John Soden
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Sam1995
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Good Article from Conservative Scholars on Genesis Conte

Post by Sam1995 »

Must give this a read, thank you for sharing this, definitely a topic I'm tryin to concrete in my own set of beliefes at the momen!
SB
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The question, however, is not “How can I trust the Bible if it does not mean what it says?” What this question is really asking is, “Can I trust the Bible if it does not mean that I thought it meant from my context when I originally read it, before I understood what it would have meant to the original readers?” -
Nicely said.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Thanks Bart, may need to add this one to my reading list. Some of the points brought up are why I've never adopted any of the OEC positions.
I've always been up front with the issues with YEC, but never felt like OEC positions rightly handled Genesis.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Miller and Soden recast the question “How can I trust the Bible if it does not mean what it says?” as “Can I trust the Bible if it does not mean that I thought it meant from my context when I originally read it, before I understood what it would have meant to the original readers?” Are they right? Is this the question many are asking whether they realize it or not?
While I would agree that understanding the meaning as per the ancient audience it was originally made available to is important, I would also question as to whether a given ancient Biblical text does not also have meanings that transcend the time it was written in. As Scripture wasn't written only for the ancients, as God well knew that those in our own time would be reading it as well. And because of leaps in literacy, scholarship, scientific knowledge, and technology, He also knew that we would be analyzing it on a very deep level and with modern understandings. And so, were there not perhaps at least some understandings that the ancients had wrong but that modern Christians understand better, especially as we can look back on history and as they couldn't? God knew of ALL the audiences Scripture would reach across time - so did He gear it to only understandings of the ancients? Think of the prophetic Scriptures about Christ, and how they were not well understood when first received.