Catholic doctrine of Creation

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
twinc
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Catholic doctrine of Creation

Post by twinc »

Simul et ex Nihilo = in the beginning,in an instant on each of 6 x 24hr days out of nothing God created everything very good[complete] = no millions of years of evolution,including Theistic evolution,necessary or possible = not many Catholics know or accept this nor that to accept or teach Origins evolution as fact is forbidden and anathema to and for Catholics - via google see and hear [Catholic doctrine of Creation/video]Sungenis - twinc
Byblos
Old School

Re: Catholic doctrine of Creation

Post by Byblos »

twinc wrote:Simul et ex Nihilo = in the beginning,in an instant on each of 6 x 24hr days out of nothing God created everything very good[complete] = no millions of years of evolution,including Theistic evolution,necessary or possible = not many Catholics know or accept this nor that to accept or teach Origins evolution as fact is forbidden and anathema to and for Catholics - via google see and hear [Catholic doctrine of Creation/video]Sungenis - twinc
Twinc, the Catholic Church has no official position on the method or duration of creation. Catholics are free to believe what they want from OEC to YEC and anything in between, as long as it does not contradict official Catholic doctrine of creation ex nihilo and a physical Adam and Eve.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

Byblos wrote:
twinc wrote:Simul et ex Nihilo = in the beginning,in an instant on each of 6 x 24hr days out of nothing God created everything very good[complete] = no millions of years of evolution,including Theistic evolution,necessary or possible = not many Catholics know or accept this nor that to accept or teach Origins evolution as fact is forbidden and anathema to and for Catholics - via google see and hear [Catholic doctrine of Creation/video]Sungenis - twinc
Twinc, the Catholic Church has no official position on the method or duration of creation. Catholics are free to believe what they want from OEC to YEC and anything in between, as long as it does not contradict official Catholic doctrine of creation ex nihilo and a physical Adam and Eve.
that is according to you and others adrift - so come back home soon - did you google as requested ,please do so - meanwhile see CCC 296/297 & 327 and Lateran IV,Cologne and Vatican I Councils - via google try [Response to Ron L Conte Jr]and www.cfnews.org/sung-pio.htm] - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

May I ask why "day" is to be interpreted as a literal 24hr period in Genesis 1, when in other verses in Genesis, is is NOT ?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Twinc wrote to Byblos:
that is according to you and others adrift - so come back home soon -
Byblos, come home soon, with me and twinc. We miss you! :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

PaulSacramento wrote:
May I ask why "day" is to be interpreted as a literal 24hr period in Genesis 1, when in other verses in Genesis, is is NOT ?
there are overwhelming reasons why viz day 1 to six each with a morning and evening and the days of the flood were not thousands or millions of years nor the sabbath once every seven thousands or millions of years nor labouring for six thousand or millions of years without a rest break nor Christ not yet risen since three thousand or millions years have not past - come home soon - twinc
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

there are overwhelming reasons why viz day 1 to six each with a morning and evening and the days of the flood were not thousands or millions of years nor the sabbath once every seven thousands or millions of years nor labouring for six thousand or millions of years without a rest break nor Christ not yet risen since three thousand or millions years have not past - come home soon - twinc
Well, twinc, that makes it perfectly clear. Why didn't you just say that in the first place? :esurprised:

Twinc, have you read any of the articles I linked for you? Let's try this again:

http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/sixdays.html

Twinc, please humour me and read this. I even spelled humour your way.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

yes read it - but I have not been refuted or rebuted - not even by you - twinc
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

twinc wrote:yes read it - but I have not been refuted or rebuted - not even by you - twinc
Twinc, tell us what you disagree with in the link. Then we can discuss it. That's kinda what this forum is for. You know, discussion forum.
Your posts that just claim your six 24 hour day creation interpretation is equal to scripture, without even discussing it, is getting really tired.

-Edward R Murrow

twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

RickD wrote:
twinc wrote:yes read it - but I have not been refuted or rebuted - not even by you - twinc
Twinc, tell us what you disagree with in the link. Then we can discuss it. That's kinda what this forum is for. You know, discussion forum.
Your posts that just claim your six 24 hour day creation interpretation is equal to scripture, without even discussing it, is getting really tired.
you are getting tired - how about me giving it and taking it on sniper fire from guerillas on many fronts - so you think the translators and Church Fathers got it wrong - hardly possible as the faith of our Fathers - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

twinc wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Which overwhelming reasons are those?
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

PaulSacramento wrote:
twinc wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
besides the ones I have given see www.scripturecatholic.com - scroll down L/H column to Evolution and the six days of creation - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

twinc wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
twinc wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
besides the ones I have given see http://www.scripturecatholic.com - scroll down L/H column to Evolution and the six days of creation - twinc
There are a lot of "misconceptions" about evolution on the site, namely that evolution says that man came from an ape, it doesn't say that at all.
It says that Man and Apes MAY SHARE a COMMON ancestor.
Not the same thing at all.
But back to taking the hebrew word "yom" as a 24 hour period.
Lets take it that it means a 24 hour day, a day with an evening AND a morning just like it says in verse 1:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was [a] formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was [c]moving over the [d]surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

If we are to take ALL of Genesis 1 literal and concrete, what do we make of this?
After creating the lands and waters and animals God did this:

14 Then God said, “Let there be lights in the [t] expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years; 15 and let them be for lights in the [v]expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. 16 God made the two [w]great lights, the greater [x]light [y]to govern the day, and the lesser [z]light [aa]to govern the night; He made the stars also. 17 God placed them in the [ab]expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 and [ac]to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness; and God saw that it was good. 19 There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.

How could there have been an evening and morning BEFORE there were "great lights" in the sky? the very lights that GOVERN day and night AND seperate light from darkness?

The cycle is incorrect IF we take all of Genesis 1 literal and concrete because God seems to contridict Himself ( or at least the writer of Genesis does).
So?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:Twinc wrote to Byblos:
that is according to you and others adrift - so come back home soon -
Byblos, come home soon, with me and twinc. We miss you! :pound:
I don't know Rick, I thought I WAS home. Evidently as per twinc I may need to reconsider y:O2 .
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

twinc wrote:besides the ones I have given see http://www.scripturecatholic.com - scroll down L/H column to Evolution and the six days of creation - twinc
Twinc, you do realize that the website you linked is not an official Catholic website, right? I may agree with some things on there and have used it plenty of times as a reference but I certainly would not be dogmatic about it.