Is the sol system a very specific place?

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
The11thDr.
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Is the sol system a very specific place?

Post by The11thDr. »

Couldn't life exist in a different system? You can guess I kind of like the idea of extra terrestrial life, is there any specific statement in the bible that says that it is outright impossible for there to be another place where life can exist? Would alien microbes shake your faith?

If this place is specific then what makes it so...Must be those obvious things I bet.

Trust me, I'm the doctor.
A Y323
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is the sol system a very specific place?

Post by A Y323 »

The Incredible Design of the Earth and Our Solar System

In short: yes, our solar system, and especially our planet, are extremely unique and special.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

The11thDr. wrote:Couldn't life exist in a different system? You can guess I kind of like the idea of extra terrestrial life, is there any specific statement in the bible that says that it is outright impossible for there to be another place where life can exist? Would alien microbes shake your faith?

If this place is specific then what makes it so...Must be those obvious things I bet.
Why anything?
-
-
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
The11thDr.
Established Member

Post by The11thDr. »

Because the universe is sucha big place thats why. Why NOT?

DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

The11thDr. wrote:Because the universe is sucha big place thats why. Why NOT?
But why? Why the universe and not nothing? Can you even comprehend 'nothing'?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Perhaps it's the sci-fi fan in me, but I don't see why not...
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

The11thDr. wrote:Couldn't life exist in a different system? You can guess I kind of like the idea of extra terrestrial life, is there any specific statement in the bible that says that it is outright impossible for there to be another place where life can exist? Would alien microbes shake your faith?

Anything is possible in God's universe.. I suppose you could say that God can create in other world's. I don't really know...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

zoegirl wrote:Perhaps it's the sci-fi fan in me, but I don't see why not...
Maybe I took the thing a little too seriously. If we are pottering around with ideas for interesting discussion for the purpose of fantasy then I can get on board and go with the flow. Sci-fi's not really my 'thing,' but I enjoy watching/reading some of it. :)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

I would say that the argument "it's so big" is certainly not an argument at all....there could certainly be nothing simply for creativity's sake....

However, I would say that the existence of another world with life on it does not somehow prove that God does not exist.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

There isn't anything to my knowledge in the bible that says there is or isn't life anywhere else. With the exception of angels. I bet if you question the people who claim to have had "extraterrestrial" encounters, you wouldn't find they were born-again Christians. Imho, I believe any "aliens" are actually demonic spirits.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

RickD wrote:

There isn't anything to my knowledge in the bible that says there is or isn't life anywhere else. With the exception of angels. I bet if you question the people who claim to have had "extraterrestrial" encounters, you wouldn't find they were born-again Christians. Imho, I believe any "aliens" are actually demonic spirits.
That is my thoughts exactly that the "aliens" are fallen angels. From what I have seen and studied that is what they are... but that is another discussion entirely. Anyway, if you look it up and think about it they seem like they are fallen angels... and I believe that there is something about that in the Bible about it, let me look and see if there is.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
The11thDr.
Established Member

Post by The11thDr. »

Well I actually wasn't thinking necesserily of intelligent life, i was thinking a bit more human centricly. Because you need life on a planet for it to be suitable for lifeforms(that doesn't sound entirely obvious now does it?)

Is there places in our galaxy similar enough to where we live that we could settle? I like to think the answer is a yes and that in the future we can get to them.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

The11thDr. wrote:Well I actually wasn't thinking necesserily of intelligent life, i was thinking a bit more human centricly. Because you need life on a planet for it to be suitable for lifeforms(that doesn't sound entirely obvious now does it?)

Is there places in our galaxy similar enough to where we live that we could settle? I like to think the answer is a yes and that in the future we can get to them.
If it has taken earth billions of years to get to the point of being able to sustain complex life forms, I highly doubt if we could just travel to some faraway planet and expect it to be ready to sustain life. That doesn't even account for the dangers of space travel.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
A Y323
Recognized Member

Post by A Y323 »

The11thDr. wrote:Because you need life on a planet for it to be suitable for lifeforms(that doesn't sound entirely obvious now does it?)
That sounds obvious, but it is not necessarily true. A planet being suitable for lifeforms is required for there to be life on that planet. However, the opposite is not required to be true. A planet does not require life for it to be suitable for lifeforms. There could be a planet suitable for life, but with no life on it. We just wouldn't expect that.

Anyway, another planet that we could inhabit would be cool. And it would definitely help with overpopulation. Though, sadly, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I'm still trying to figure out if there is any intelligent life on this planet... :P
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8