The 2 creations

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Zebulon
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

The 2 creations

Post by Zebulon »

Jenna,

It is only a point of view, but it sure is worth discussing it.

Genesis 1 - 26: And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the owl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis 2 - 7: And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

And God said, Let us... in our image (funny the plural here!) and on versus 2 - 7 it is now LORD God and no more God.

...Man became a living soul. This was said before Adam and Eve...

Victor
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The 2 creations

Post by BavarianWheels »

Plz help me understand what you are trying to say/ask.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I think the first chapter is more of an outline and the chapters after that go into the details of that outline. I'm not sure that they are two separate creations, although I have heard that thoery before. :ewink:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Zebulon wrote:Jenna,

Genesis 1 - 26: And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the owl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis 2 - 7: And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

And God said, Let us... in our image (funny the plural here!) and on versus 2 - 7 it is now LORD God and no more God.

Victor
Hi Victor.

Not all believe Genesis 1 and 2 represent two separate accounts of creation and many here would disagree with the assumption that Genesis 2 is a retelling of Genesis 1.

Genesis 1 focuses on order of creation and creation in general, while Genesis 2 is more concerned with humanity and not necessarily the order of happenings. The focus is different in each case.

An article you might find helpful can be found on the GodandScience.org website at http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/genesis2.html
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

This is interesting. I have read chapter 1 and 2, but never found any contradictions. Maybe I could read it again? :econfused:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
johnt
Recognized Member

Post by johnt »

Victor, You have made a very good point and I'm glad you brought this up. I read this article the other evening and according to modern science it describes in theory how our solar system began. If you read it carefully it fits Genesis to a tee in scientific theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Earth

Read the article first then read Genesis 1 and 2 and you'll see what I observed after reading both again. There is absolutely no way primative man could have known about these similarities unless it came from G-d himself. What really caught me was the fact that the sun didn't start it's fusion until almost everthing in our solar system was in place therefore reference to void, shaplessness, darkness and condition of the atmosphere all fits in. Then the fusion on the sun began and became another souce of light, radiation and magnetic fields which existed elsewhere but not in our own neighborhood. The earth own magnetic fields, the degree tilt of earths axis, oxygen as a toxin and how things formed and became. What a master plan an eye opener. The stories in genesis without a shadow of doubt are not stories but written so early man could actually comprehend our worlds begining ( it took more then days but in actuality it happened very quickly). Like I said read the article first because it hit me like a ton of bricks.

The 2nd creation is a strong argument because man was the last of day 6 ( which is a prelude to Genesis 2) and "in our image" means to me out of all the creation this was the most important undertaking so far. Man was so much more different then anything else created and came after everything else was in place. The breath of life in the nostrils also gives us the soul which is not ever mentioned until man is formed and given the gift of life. Talk about an original owners manual. The Bible is it. The answers are all there once you study and understand who put it down in writing and who the actual author was.
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Jont,

Thanks for the time you have taken to answer me.

In a general sense, the second creation is the one where the soul of the first creation becomes flesh in the form of a man and a woman by entering a baby at or aroud time of birth (witch is the global sin). Satan gave us the possibility to become flesh and we choose to do so (God made us free, and Satan lied to us being the lying himself as saying that living in the flesh is the truth) . Now we have to overcome this and Jesus is the way by following our Father's will (the Father permitted that is own son becomes Flesh for this purpose).

And frankly Jont, to me the time of the creation is very less important than the way. But if it can be a way of bringing sceptics to believe, then be it.

Very sincerely,

Victor
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

[quote="Zebulon"]Jenna,

Victor
How exactly do you find the "Us", in our image, funny or strange?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Jenna,
jenna wrote:How exactly do you find the "Us", in our image, funny or strange?
I don't know about this and in my humble point of view I think it will come to me as an answer. I do not think it is funny or strange eaven if I did soud like it.

So let's invite anyone to discuss further on it.

y>:D< Victor
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I don't know about this and in my humble point of view I think it will come to me as an answer. I do not think it is funny or strange eaven if I did soud like it.

The "our" here is God talking to the Word, who eventually came to earth to be Jesus.
MarkyMark7
Familiar Member

Post by MarkyMark7 »

Losing more sleep b/c I talk (or type...) too much :sleep:
The use of the word "Us", if I'm not mistaken, is referring to the Trinity.
Genesis 2:4 (NASB)- This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made earth and heaven.
The verses following it are details about the days of creation. You have to read stuff within it's context. From the following verses we learn that crops (2:5) were not included as other plants b/c of no rain and there was no man to cultivate the ground, we learn God's early alternate to rain (2:6), we learn how God formed man (2:7) [not a second creation], and many other things.
A Quote from Prince Caspian (Aslan speaking to Caspian): "You come from of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperors on earth. Be content."

Sorry if I offend you in an apologetical discussion, I can be very crude.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Shall I go into another thread on the trinity here? Nah, you would really lose sleep then, Marky! :ebiggrin:
MarkyMark7
Familiar Member

Post by MarkyMark7 »

Hehe, I didn't sleep but 30 minutes last night, and I have a sneaking suspition I'm not going to get much rest tonight either.
A Quote from Prince Caspian (Aslan speaking to Caspian): "You come from of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperors on earth. Be content."

Sorry if I offend you in an apologetical discussion, I can be very crude.
7trumpets
Familiar Member

Post by 7trumpets »

jenna wrote:

The "our" here is God talking to the Word, who eventually came to earth to be Jesus.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

God 430 'elohiym el-o-heem' plural of ''elowahh' (433); gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative:--angels, X exceeding, God (gods)(-dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty.

Who was GOD talking to? The angels but not just angels, its angels X exceeding. So HE was talking to HIS "Governmental Hierarchy of Archangels".
Michael
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Michael »

Here is an interesting possibility for why there are multiple creation accounts and titles for God.

Click for link