Excited About this Book!

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Excited About this Book!

Post by DBowling »

I am really looking forward to the release of this book in March! :D

Return of the God Hypothesis: Three Scientific Discoveries That Reveal the Mind Behind the Universe by Stephen Meyer
The New York Times bestselling author of Darwin’s Doubt and Intelligent Design scholar presents groundbreaking scientific evidence of the existence of God, based on breakthroughs in physics, cosmology, and biology.
Meyer uses three scientific points to refute popular arguments put forward by the “New Atheists” against the existence of God:

1. The evidence from cosmology showing that the material universe had a beginning.
2. The evidence from physics showing that, from the beginning, the universe was been “finely tuned” to allow for the possibility of life.
3. The evidence from biology showing that since the universe came into being, large amounts of genetic information present in DNA must have arisen to make life possible.

In analyzing the evidence from these three fields, Meyer reveals how the data support not just the existence of an intelligent designer of some kind—but the existence of a theistic creator.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Excited About this Book!

Post by Stu »

Enjoy Meyer's stuff.

Still have his tome Signature in the Cell that I meant to read. I was heavy into the creationism/ID vs evolution debate back then. Have since moved on and don't get too involved in that debate anymore.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Thanks for the heads-up, DB - I love books like this.
Stu: I was heavy into the creationism/ID vs evolution debate back then. Have since moved on and don't get too involved in that debate anymore.
Stu, I've moved on a bit as well, but still find great power in certain evidences, like the astounding number of exceptionally complex, and comprehensively interactive variables necessary to produce a universe and planet capable of supporting and sustaining life. And then the incredible machine that even a simple cell is - more complex than anything man has ever built or designed, as it simply could not have evolved (and definitely not without a Creator). And then there is the immensely complicated coding and incredible detailed information that every creature carries in its DNA - such things, to me, go WAY beyond what a reasonable person should think possible without a grand Intelligence behind it all. But nowadays, I find these evidences most valuable to unbelievers (or uncertain Believers) that are sincerely searching for answers and truly want to know whether or not God exists. During my own youthful periods of doubt, discovering these many powerful evidences moved me forward in truly understanding and studying God's word as opposed to remaining redundantly focused upon silly debates over His existence. And yet, the more we know about such things, the more we can offer those that are searching for answers - and that are open-minded enough to listen.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Philip wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:39 pm Thanks for the heads-up, DB - I love books like this.
Stu: I was heavy into the creationism/ID vs evolution debate back then. Have since moved on and don't get too involved in that debate anymore.
Stu, I've moved on a bit as well, but still find great power in certain evidences, like the astounding number of exceptionally complex, and comprehensively interactive variables necessary to produce a universe and planet capable of supporting and sustaining life. And then the incredible machine that even a simple cell is - more complex than anything man has ever built or designed, as it simply could not have evolved (and definitely not without a Creator). And then there is the immensely complicated coding and incredible detailed information that every creature carries in its DNA - such things, to me, go WAY beyond what a reasonable person should think possible without a grand Intelligence behind it all. But nowadays, I find these evidences most valuable to unbelievers (or uncertain Believers) that are sincerely searching for answers and truly want to know whether or not God exists. During my own youthful periods of doubt, discovering these many powerful evidences moved me forward in truly understanding and studying God's word as opposed to remaining redundantly focused upon silly debates over His existence. And yet, the more we know about such things, the more we can offer those that are searching for answers - and that are open-minded enough to listen.
Yeah don't get me wrong I find things like the fact that the cell is the most complex thing in the universe that we know of, never mind just on earth, and quite frankly could never have come into being through chance.

Facts like that I like to bring to the attention of atheists and others but I just don't get into debates with militant evolutionists/atheists anymore as they are way too rude and aggressive (and I tend to punch back twice as hard when they start that, not very Christian I know but it's just my nature, gotta work on that) and I find myself also getting aggressive then. Too much agro for me. A decent play the ball and not the man debate is still fun to have, like on Uncommon Descent. Honestly though I just think the evolution debate for me is now a waste of time as it is pretty clear from a Christians point of view that molecules to man evolution is nonsense, and there are more important things to worry about.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Stu: Facts like that I like to bring to the attention of atheists and others but I just don't get into debates with militant evolutionists/atheists anymore as they are way too rude and aggressive
Yep - once I realize they don't want to know / aren't even open to the truth / are working exceptionally hard to remain an unbeliever - that is when I disengage (cause it's pointless).
Stu: ...(and I tend to punch back twice as hard when they start that, not very Christian I know but it's just my nature, gotta work on that) and I find myself also getting aggressive then.
LOL, you and me both!
Stu: Honestly though I just think the evolution debate ... and there are more important things to worry about.
Absolutely! In fact, when one realizes that there is FAR more atheists need to explain about the universe before there was even ANY simple life on the planet - then questions and argument over evolution are a sideshow attraction over what came about 11 billion years beforehand (of any life to evolve) - and that is, JUST the right elements "happen" to show up IMMEDIATELY, with things of awesome design (that didn't exist mere moments before), that instantly began assembling with incredible precision / obeying complex laws, and all on an unfathomable scale - not after BILLIONS of years, but in mere MINUTES of the Big Bang's beginning. And so those who want to relentlessly argue evolution need to explain how just the right blind things popped into existence and then show breathtaking designs, functionalities, and interaction - things that our best scientists' minds have long been blown over! I mean, what level of astonishing brilliance do people thing blind, non-intelligent things are actually capable of (apparently, quite a lot - and they call US naive, LOL.)