Comet: First Agriculture and Neolithic Civilizations

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Comet: First Agriculture and Neolithic Civilizations

Post by Philip »

11,000 years B.C. - what did a comet perhaps cause?

Article: Ancient stone carvings confirm how comet struck Earth in 10,950BC, sparking the rise of civilizations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017 ... bc-wiping/
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Comet: First Agriculture and Neolithic Civilizations

Post by PaulSacramento »

Where is the evidence of an ACTUAL comet hitting the earth during that time?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The evidence is circumstantial - given the apparent comment event described on the pillar, the constellation positions, the correlation, known from ice core samples, of a sudden fall in temperatures. Is it true? Dunno.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Science is revealing that comets and meteorites hit Earth more often than previously thought. They don't need to be that big to cause a lot a damage, especially to our modern cities.

Consider the damage that would be caused by one landing in the Tasman Sea, say 100km away from south-east coast of Australia as follows:
http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/cgi-bin/crat ... pthUnits=1

I used average specs, except for size which I believe is quite low for a dramatic impact (1 km). Consider that The Burckle Crater which is said to have formed from a comet impact 3000–2800 BCE, is estimated to be about 30 km in diameter (I'm Aussie, so don't use US' inferior miles ;)). Note, as comets enter into Earth's atmosphere, they will often break apart into fragments. If this was the main or large fragment, then possibly there are others that could be found.

Russia's Chelyabinsk one a few years back was less than 20 metres wide, and "exploded over Earth with the force of 40 Hiroshima-type atom bombs." (1) "The shock waves resulting from the main blast blew people off their feet and shattered thousands of windows in Chelyabinsk, reports an international team led by Olga Popova of the Russian Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Geosphere Dynamics." (2)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Maybe a comet might hit North Korea? You know, just Fat Boy's villa, or wherever he is (usually near an ice cream bar).
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I know, maybe Trump can hit them and claim it was a comet! :P North Korea is really the only place I advocate us doing something about, and it absolutely mind-boggles me that previous US administrations chose to do nothing given all their threats and essentially a spoiled brat running the country trying to get nuke technology, saying "I'm going to get you, nah neh na nah nah."
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Wasn't Adam around before 10950 BC? He practiced some type of farming.
Btw, we're not told, but what farming do u think Adam did?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:Wasn't Adam around before 10950 BC? He practiced some type of farming.
It is implied in Genesis chapter 3 concerning toiling to grow food and weeds will interfere...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

B. W. wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:Wasn't Adam around before 10950 BC? He practiced some type of farming.
It is implied in Genesis chapter 3 concerning toiling to grow food and weeds will interfere...
-
-
-
Yes Ik but what I meant was what method of farming? Did he use the slash and burn technique, just put a seed in a hole and watch it grow, graft, etc?
Specifically thorns and thistles will grow and make it a pain to grow food. Blackberries though taste good....
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

PaulSacramento wrote:Where is the evidence of an ACTUAL comet hitting the earth during that time?

The stone carvings and how it lines up with their knowledge of the constellations that told of a comet hitting the earth?
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.