Mediate or Immediate? God Forming Us In Our Mother's Womb

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.

Did God form us in a Mediate or Immediate manner in our mother's womb?

Mediate
50%
Immediate
25%
I prefer not to answer because I like to sit on the fence.
25%
I don't know what these words mean (see my second post below)
No votes

Total votes: 4

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Mediate or Immediate? God Forming Us In Our Mother's Womb

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Kurieuo wrote:You raise another interesting issue. Yes, it raises different questions at different levels, I think are good to consider and think through. Such makes it quite difficult to answer, more than what I first thought when posting the question.

For example, I did change my answer from "mediate" to "immediate", given the ontology I accept of our "natural" world wherein God is directly involved and sustaining and acting at every point to keep it predictable and stable for us and other created life.
Why I said what I said was bc if God makes babies with the Adamic sin nature, then when the kid sins wouldn't He be partially responsible? That's why I go with a mix of both. Btw, God does accomplish His will through our free will as well, which relates to this question.
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

People sometimes say God doesn't make mistakes, and therefore no one could have been born gay or psychologically the opposite gender to what their body would indicate. It's not as if no one's ever born with nothing wrong with them however. Some children are born blind, some have other problems (heck, I know I was born with more than one thing wrong with me); maybe some even have an innate tendency to aggression or another wrong behaviour. So it seems quite possible to me that a few people are born with one of those other psychological problems I mentioned first.

This, to me, all points not to God directly, intentionally creating a baby in the womb but to this being a natural process (initiated by God) which due to the imperfect world we live in sometimes (even usually) goes wrong.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nicki wrote:People sometimes say God doesn't make mistakes, and therefore no one could have been born gay or psychologically the opposite gender to what their body would indicate. It's not as if no one's ever born with nothing wrong with them however. Some children are born blind, some have other problems (heck, I know I was born with more than one thing wrong with me); maybe some even have an innate tendency to aggression or another wrong behaviour. So it seems quite possible to me that a few people are born with one of those other psychological problems I mentioned first.

This, to me, all points not to God directly, intentionally creating a baby in the womb but to this being a natural process (initiated by God) which due to the imperfect world we live in sometimes (even usually) goes wrong.
That's a really good point Nicki.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

RickD wrote:
Nicki wrote:People sometimes say God doesn't make mistakes, and therefore no one could have been born gay or psychologically the opposite gender to what their body would indicate. It's not as if no one's ever born with nothing wrong with them however. Some children are born blind, some have other problems (heck, I know I was born with more than one thing wrong with me); maybe some even have an innate tendency to aggression or another wrong behaviour. So it seems quite possible to me that a few people are born with one of those other psychological problems I mentioned first.

That's a really good point Nicki.
Thanks - I think I tripped myself up on the grammatical negatives though - I meant it's not as if no one's ever been born with something wrong with them :oops:
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

I think we as humans have been given the ability of genesis (even before we were able to reproduce). I think God gives the breathe of life at the moment of conception, because that is what has been enacted on by us. And, yet, He always knew how people would be conceived before humanities existence, and chose to let it happen in unison with humanity (who is meant to become the new creation, His body and temple). We won't know what a child born of a 'clean slate' of humanity looks like until the millennium begins (like a child of Adam and Eve who are sealed by the Holy Spirit). That's a pretty general sense of how I see procreation working. So, I believe both, and we only know the mediate side of propagation in a world of sin, not ruled by Him.