Are we really 99 Percent the Same as Chimps?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Are we really 99 Percent the Same as Chimps?

Post by B. W. »

Thought this article provoked thought...Puuurfectly....

Are Humans Really 99 Percent the Same as Chimps?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Are we really 99 Percent the Same as Chimps?

Post by hughfarey »

Try the paper upon which this rather crude comparison is based:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... e04072.pdf
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

B. W. wrote:Thought this article provoked thought...Puuurfectly....

In the article linked too it says
Based on what we now know, biologist and Senior Fellow at the Center for Science and Culture, Ann Gauger, estimates that humans and chimps share around 92% of our DNA. To put that in perspective, scientists tell us that we’re 90% identical to cats.
Now, that could explain why members of the opposite sex act the way they do... :bag:

Catty....

Whoops :fryingpan:
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

All mammals have the same type of organs and such, so it stands to reason all mammals are 90% identical.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Have a blood transfusion with a chimp if you believe we are 99% the same as chimps.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

B. W. wrote:

Based on what we now know, biologist and Senior Fellow at the Center for Science and Culture, Ann Gauger, estimates that humans and chimps share around 92% of our DNA. To put that in perspective, scientists tell us that we’re 90% identical to cats.
Now, that could explain why members of the opposite sex act the way they do... :bag:

Catty....

Not to mention guys who act like... :censored:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Nessa wrote:
B. W. wrote:

Catty....

Not to mention guys who act like... :censored:
You mean y:(|)

:pound:
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
JButler
Established Member

Post by JButler »

abelcainsbrother wrote:Have a blood transfusion with a chimp if you believe we are 99% the same as chimps.
I'll let someone else be the pioneer on that little experiment. :ebiggrin: What is interesting is the compatibility of some pig parts like cardiovascular stuff, with humans. I haven't read any recent developments but there's been a lot of research done.

I guess if you like bacon too much, you can borrow some pig arteries for you quad bypass operation. ;)
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member

Post by hughfarey »

Chimp blood would be as acceptable as human blood. It is not favoured owing to the greater accessibility of volunteer humans than chimps. Some of the earliest blood transfusions were carried out with lamb's blood, and pig's blood has also been considered. I wouldn't mind any of these, or most other mammals' blood being given me, as long as the same appropriate compatibility tests regarding blood-groups and antibodies were carried out as they are with other human blood. Pig heart valves are routinely used in humans, and tissue from cows' heart muscle is also used to make replacement valves.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

The similarities in blood are easily explainable by a common Designer utilizing the same available genetic code, with modifications and differences - therefore producing some characteristics that are subtley different, others significantly so. All mammals share many of the same requirements - and some of those requirements they share with species other than mammals. And blood is obviously not the only similarity between various mammals.
BigHamster
Recognized Member

Post by BigHamster »

Hamsters ! .......... or Guinea Pigs at least, are said to be closer to humans than chimps, rats or mice. y:@)

------------------------------------

"....guinea pigs, are in many ways toxicologically and genetically more like humans than rats, mice and even our closest evolutionary cousins, the chimpanzee.1"

http://www.tasc-creationscience.org/con ... ould-think
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member

Post by hughfarey »

BigHamster wrote:Hamsters ! .......... or Guinea Pigs at least, are said to be closer to humans than chimps, rats or mice. y:@)
Not by biologists, they're not. Of course there are particular similarities between all sorts of rather distantly related animals as a result of environmental pressure or random mutation, and there are indeed aspects of guinea pig physiology which make them more similar to humans in those respects, but that is a far cry from saying they are "closer" to humans than chimps. What's more, the very use of the term "closer" carries an implicit acceptance of evolution. If "kinds" were independently created, then a guinea pig would be no "closer" to a human than a human to a chimpanzee or a chimpanzee to a guinea pig.

The conclusion to the article at tasc-creationscience.org which you reference contains a major misrepresentation, in mentioning one "major evolutionary premise that common features and functionality are due to common evolutionary ancestry", but not another important premise that similar environments can lead to common features and functionality in very distantly related species.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

hughfarey wrote:Chimp blood would be as acceptable as human blood. It is not favoured owing to the greater accessibility of volunteer humans than chimps. Some of the earliest blood transfusions were carried out with lamb's blood, and pig's blood has also been considered. I wouldn't mind any of these, or most other mammals' blood being given me, as long as the same appropriate compatibility tests regarding blood-groups and antibodies were carried out as they are with other human blood. Pig heart valves are routinely used in humans, and tissue from cows' heart muscle is also used to make replacement valves.

You will die if you have a blood transfusion with a chimp.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
hughfarey wrote:Chimp blood would be as acceptable as human blood. It is not favoured owing to the greater accessibility of volunteer humans than chimps. Some of the earliest blood transfusions were carried out with lamb's blood, and pig's blood has also been considered. I wouldn't mind any of these, or most other mammals' blood being given me, as long as the same appropriate compatibility tests regarding blood-groups and antibodies were carried out as they are with other human blood. Pig heart valves are routinely used in humans, and tissue from cows' heart muscle is also used to make replacement valves.

You will die if you have a blood transfusion with a chimp.
You will die if you eat only healthy food.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member

Post by hughfarey »

abelcainsbrother wrote:You will die if you have a blood transfusion with a chimp.
Completely untrue. Totally false. Incontestably incorrect. Utterly mendacious. But through ignorance, dishonesty, or mischief, I wonder?