Trip to the Ark Encounter

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Trip to the Ark Encounter

Post by PaulSacramento »

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Re: Trip to the Ark Encounter

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think that I would probably like to see this one day, out of sheer curiosity more than anything else.

That said, this does bring up an issue in an earlier blog post at Biologos:
http://biologos.org/blogs/deborah-haars ... encounter/

and this part here in particular:
When people accept the AiG narrative that these scientific conclusions are essential to Christianity, then their faith is often shaken when they encounter the incredible explanatory power of modern science. In fact, we hear from individuals on a daily basis who have experienced a deep crisis of faith when their young-earth creationist beliefs were exposed as scientifically (and biblically) weak. While we are grateful that BioLogos has helped recover and strengthen the faith of these Christians, we mourn the fact that countless others have drifted away from the faith. Young-earth creationist teaching is causing unnecessary harm to the reputation of the Church and creates a stumbling block for people who are considering the Gospel. - See more at: http://biologos.org/blogs/deborah-haars ... cljUA.dpuf
Yes, I have met some people that, because of the YEC view, find Christianity a bit of a joke and before anyone says that it is their loss, we need to remember that we are warned to NOT stumble anyone in their search for Christ.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
I think that I would probably like to see this one day, out of sheer curiosity more than anything else.
I think that I would like to see it out of curiosity too, except for the fact that I couldn't give a dime of my money to them in good conscience. Nevermind $40 for admission alone.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives.
Can I use this in my signature?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives.
Can I use this in my signature?
Any time
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Well said.
Zeal can make fools of us all.
Personally I never understood how people can be so focused on only one interpretation or view of bible passages when throughout history we see that there were other views even from the "great minds" of Christianity.

Personally I view the flood as a massive local flood because the historical and geographical evidence points to that.
In regards to interpreting the the passages in genesis, it is quite possible to interpret it as BOTh local and WORLD wide.
I think the writer thought it was world wide and probably all the people that learned the story thought it was too BUT the ANE view of the world was NOT like ours.
They viewed all they knew as the world, the concept of a whole planet as enormous as we know the earth to be now was NOT even an option for them.
Some will ask why would God allow them to indulge in that misconception.
I think that, at the time, God didn't open their eyes to the reality of the universe that they could NEVER know to be true and that would, quite frankly, make no difference in their lives at all.

Look at us NOW, in THIS day and age, knowing and seeing what we see and STILL we have people believing in a flat earth for example, that space travel is fake and so forth.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

You're right -- it's Not a joke -- when we look to 'people' and expect to see perfection, we WILL be disappointed / disillusioned -- that's why we are to look to God / Jesus Christ as our example. People will mess up and sometimes in Big ways.

Philippians 4:6-9 //mentioned this on another thread, also.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:
You're right -- it's Not a joke -- when we look to 'people' and expect to see perfection, we WILL be disappointed / disillusioned -- that's why we are to look to God / Jesus Christ as our example. People will mess up and sometimes in Big ways.

Philippians 4:6-9 //mentioned this on another thread, also.
Do Christians each and every one have a responsibility not to bring discredit
on themselves and their faith?
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie -- it would be Great for each and every person who called themselves 'Christian' To take personal responsibility to be a positive example For Christianity. The problem is that people Are looking to other People for their own example to follow. They are Not looking to Jesus Christ for their example. 'W.W.J.D." Because Jesus Christ was on this earth As The Perfect example To follow. And He Could do that because He was "God With Us."
And we Do have God's Word -written down for us - TO read and follow.