Almost Everything the Media Tell You About Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Is Wrong

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Almost Everything the Media Tell You About Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Is Wrong

Post by PaulSacramento »

So, I spoke about this about a year ago and now the study is out:

http://dailysignal.com/2016/08/22/almos ... -is-wrong/

excert:
Here are four of the report’s most important conclusions:

The belief that sexual orientation is an innate, biologically fixed human property—that people are ‘born that way’—is not supported by scientific evidence.

Likewise, the belief that gender identity is an innate, fixed human property independent of biological sex—so that a person might be a ‘man trapped in a woman’s body’ or ‘a woman trapped in a man’s body’—is not supported by scientific evidence.

Only a minority of children who express gender-atypical thoughts or behavior will continue to do so into adolescence or adulthood. There is no evidence that all such children should be encouraged to become transgender, much less subjected to hormone treatments or surgery.

Non-heterosexual and transgender people have higher rates of mental health problems (anxiety, depression, suicide), as well as behavioral and social problems (substance abuse, intimate partner violence), than the general population. Discrimination alone does not account for the entire disparity.
As one bloger put it:

How Gay Activists Will Respond to a Major Scientific Report That Refutes Their Talking Points:

https://askdrbrown.org/library/how-gay- ... rt-refutes

So, when it comes to Dr. McHugh, the script has already been written, and no matter what the scientific evidence states and no matter how carefully he has presented it, he will be viciously attacked and his research will be flatly rejected.

As for Dr. Mayer, again, my expectation is that he will be dismissed as unqualified, while his guilt by association with Dr. McHugh and Johns Hopkins will be used against him as well.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Almost Everything the Media Tell You About Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Is Wrong

Post by Audie »

A bit like the intellectual honesty of our Dr. K. Wise who famously said that if all the evidence in the universe turned against yec, he'd still be yec.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Almost Everything the Media Tell You About Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Is Wrong

Post by Hortator »

PaulSacramento wrote: As one bloger put it:

How Gay Activists Will Respond to a Major Scientific Report That Refutes Their Talking Points:

https://askdrbrown.org/library/how-gay- ... rt-refutes
That article, I can't view it....but if it's the joke, that their response will be "nothing" or "silence" I totally get it :lol: More often than not when presented with empiricism, gay activists take the high road of "not elevating it with attention".

So, when it comes to Dr. McHugh, the script has already been written, and no matter what the scientific evidence states and no matter how carefully he has presented it, he will be viciously attacked and his research will be flatly rejected.

As for Dr. Mayer, again, my expectation is that he will be dismissed as unqualified, while his guilt by association with Dr. McHugh and Johns Hopkins will be used against him as well.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

It isn't a joke, the research paper is available for viewing.
http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publicati ... -fall-2016
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

I clicked into the link -- does anyone actually read all of that?
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Biblical perspective -- we All have a choice as to how we react to people who we are attracted to. Just because we Are attracted to someone does Not give license to Act On the attraction. God's Word gives us guidelines on how to relate to Everyone. We need to follow That.

What a person Does need is counseling to help them accept themselves as they Are.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie wrote:A bit like the intellectual honesty of our Dr. K. Wise who famously said that if all the evidence in the universe turned against yec, he'd still be yec.
So -- what Are your views on this subject.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

crochet1949 wrote:I clicked into the link -- does anyone actually read all of that?
I did.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

crochet1949 wrote:Biblical perspective -- we All have a choice as to how we react to people who we are attracted to. Just because we Are attracted to someone does Not give license to Act On the attraction. God's Word gives us guidelines on how to relate to Everyone. We need to follow That.

What a person Does need is counseling to help them accept themselves as they Are.
The biblical perspective carries no weight for those that do not view the bible as authoritative.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The key points of the article and research paper are:

The belief that sexual orientation is an innate, biologically fixed human property—that people are ‘born that way’—is not supported by scientific evidence.

Likewise, the belief that gender identity is an innate, fixed human property independent of biological sex—so that a person might be a ‘man trapped in a woman’s body’ or ‘a woman trapped in a man’s body’—is not supported by scientific evidence.

Only a minority of children who express gender-atypical thoughts or behavior will continue to do so into adolescence or adulthood. There is no evidence that all such children should be encouraged to become transgender, much less subjected to hormone treatments or surgery.

Non-heterosexual and transgender people have higher rates of mental health problems (anxiety, depression, suicide), as well as behavioral and social problems (substance abuse, intimate partner violence), than the general population. Discrimination alone does not account for the entire disparity.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

PaulSacramento wrote: Non-heterosexual and transgender people have higher rates of mental health problems (anxiety, depression, suicide), as well as behavioral and social problems (substance abuse, intimate partner violence), than the general population. Discrimination alone does not account for the entire disparity.
It's hardly discrimination that drives them to the most fatal of mistakes. It's isolation. I've talked to a variety of them in my time, and they mostly converse over the internet. They don't choose to go out much. That being said, you can't find a transgender person anywhere who isn't a skilled programmer or at least is very good with computers, since this remains their only window to the outside world.

Sad, but true.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Gender is a social construct! Stop oppressing me! God is a social construct, as well! Stop believing fairytales!!!!!!
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:Gender is a social construct! Stop oppressing me! God is a social construct, as well! Stop believing fairytales!!!!!!
Sarcasm is your friend. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:Gender is a social construct! Stop oppressing me! God is a social construct, as well! Stop believing fairytales!!!!!!
Sarcasm is your friend. :mrgreen:
That way you get at least one :mrgreen:
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Paul: Likewise, the belief that gender identity is an innate, fixed human property independent of biological sex—so that a person might be a ‘man trapped in a woman’s body’ or ‘a woman trapped in a man’s body’—is not supported by scientific evidence.
Here's what is interesting about this: Those who mentally consider themselves a different sex than what their biology strongly "suggests," is that they will tell you they grew up feeling that they were essentially a person who was born with the wrong gender assignment, that "nature screwed up," or whatever. So these individual themselves KNOW something is not right. But as for whatever TRULY isn't "right," there are but two possibilities: Either the dysfunction is in the person's MIND, or it truly is with their body. But whether naturalism produced them, or God did, one doesn't get to merely choose your gender. It is as how one is BORN! However, you CAN choose a gender per which you'd PREFER to be, per how you self-identify. You can even have things cut off and rubberized things installed to APPEAR to be a different gender. But one's DNA can never change. So, equally interesting, is that the transgender-minded persons themselves know there is a great disconcerting, overwhelming sense of incompatibility with "upstairs" and "downstairs." And so they assert and ASSUME that the dysfunction is with their bodies, but not their minds? And then the PC crowd cluelessly jumps on the bandwagon - "Well, if a person things he was born with the wrong body, then it must be true, eh?" And then when another more thoughtful person might suggest the problem is likely to be in their HEAD - as they have a psychological/mental disorder (which psychiatrists long considered it), they are branded a bigot and a hater.

Why are so many people unwilling to accept that the problem is more likely to be psychiatric? And why are they so willing to buy into the transgender narrative the PC crowd just loves?