The biblical flood date

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
desmondingram23
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

The biblical flood date

Post by desmondingram23 »

As a believer in Christ and the bible I obviously believe in the global flood we see it just not in the bible but we see it in other ancient cultures. We know that Moses did not plagiarize the biblical flood account but at times we do see the epic of Gilgamesh flood account story originate around 2800 BC. Can someone explain the exact or time frame of the biblical flood account? and how as believers can we defend the biblical flood account to the skeptic who believes the bible stole the flood story from ancient Mesopotamia?.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The biblical flood date

Post by Jac3510 »

Obviously!

*le sigh*
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

I believe Noah's flood was local. Regardless, the 19th century theologian E W Bullinger claims the flood happened in the year 2340 BC.

THE ANTEDILUVIAN PATRIARCHS, AND THE FLOOD-DATE.
https://www.levendwater.org/companion/append22.html
desmondingram23 wrote:and how as believers can we defend the biblical flood account to the skeptic who believes the bible stole the flood story from ancient Mesopotamia?.
Talking to a non-believer about the flood account is basically useless, because unless they believe the Bible is the inspired word of God, (which they do not), they will argue every verse from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21. The Epic of Gilgamesh is a traditional account of primitive truths corrupted in transmission. The inspired account in Genesis 6-9 corrects the imaginary accretions which have gathered round the flood account. Thus the Babylonian "Creation Tablets", the Egyptian "Book of the dead", the Greek mythology, the Indian "Vedic texts", the account of the flood in the Koran and the rest of the heathen Cosmogonies, which by some are set on an equality with Scripture, or by others adduced in support of it, are all the corruption and perversion of primitive truths, distorted in proportion as their origin was forgotten, and their memories faded away.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I "obviously" believe in a global flood too.

Stupid old earth, local flood, compromisers.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote:I "obviously" believe in a global flood too.

Yeah...
Who cares what Scripture says when we have...

(quoting the prophet Tevye)
"TRADITION!"
:P
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DBowling wrote:
RickD wrote:I "obviously" believe in a global flood too.

Yeah...
Who cares what Scripture says when we have...

(quoting the prophet Tevye)
"TRADITION!"
:P
Tevye the Dairyman?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

That would be the one :)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Post by abelcainsbrother »

desmondingram23 wrote:As a believer in Christ and the bible I obviously believe in the global flood we see it just not in the bible but we see it in other ancient cultures. We know that Moses did not plagiarize the biblical flood account but at times we do see the epic of Gilgamesh flood account story originate around 2800 BC. Can someone explain the exact or time frame of the biblical flood account? and how as believers can we defend the biblical flood account to the skeptic who believes the bible stole the flood story from ancient Mesopotamia?.

If you are into apologetics and defending God and his word I have a few tips that might help.

First off,don't get bogged down defending the bible against distorted and flawed atheistic interpretations of the bible. It is a waste of time. Instead focus on and point out the fact that it is atheists and agnostics that have accepted an opinion based on blind faith,point out that there is absolutely no evidence or reason to accept an atheist or agnostic opinion. Point out how atheists always explain as a talking point why they are excluded from needing any evidence for their opinion. Ask them for proof and evidence their opinion is true and stay focused on this point.This angers them because they think they are excluded and do not need any evidence and they will explain why they do not have to have any evidence,which only proves you right and point it out to them and everybody.

Only provide evidence the bible is true on your terms not their's and only to show you do have evidence for what you accept as true,while they don't and believe they do not need evidence for their opinions.point out bashing God and his word is easy to do and anybody can do but is not proof or evidence atheists or agnostics are right with their opinions.There is absolutely no reason to accept their opinion.
Last edited by abelcainsbrother on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

desmondingram23 wrote:As a believer in Christ and the bible I obviously believe in the global flood we see it just not in the bible but we see it in other ancient cultures. We know that Moses did not plagiarize the biblical flood account but at times we do see the epic of Gilgamesh flood account story originate around 2800 BC. Can someone explain the exact or time frame of the biblical flood account? and how as believers can we defend the biblical flood account to the skeptic who believes the bible stole the flood story from ancient Mesopotamia?.
As a believer in Christ and the accuracy and authority of Scripture I believe in a local flood because that is what Scripture teaches. See the following excellent article by Rich Deem at this board's parent site:
The Genesis Flood Why the Bible Says It Must be Local
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html

As for the similarities between the epic of Gilgamesh and the Genesis Flood, I see the epic of Gilgamesh as independent corroboration of the Genesis account of Noah's Flood.
There are enough significant differences between the Epic of Gilgamesh and Moses' account of the Flood in Genesis to demonstrate that the two flood accounts are independent of each other.
However, there are enough similarities between the two accounts to indicate that the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Genesis Flood account both have their origins in the same historical event. Although I think Scripture presents a more historically accurate account of Noah's Flood than the account presented in the Epic of Gilgamesh.

It is also interesting to note that the Great Flood of Mesopotamian history and Noah's Flood both occur around 3,000 BC. So I think the Epic of Gilgamesh and Mesopotamian history do a couple of things for us.
- They independently corroborate the historicity of Noah's Flood as described in Genesis.
- They validate the timing of Noah's Flood as described in Genesis.

In Christ
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

A local flood does avoid the problems that come up for a world wide flood,
as that is so readily disproved.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Audie wrote:A local flood does avoid the problems that come up for a world wide flood,
Hello,you forgot about dust in the ice sheets and world wide,in the oceans,etc that shows a world wide drought that dates to about 4500 years ago. Dang! That global warming science
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Audie wrote:A local flood does avoid the problems that come up for a world wide flood,
Hello,you forgot about dust in the ice sheets and world wide,in the oceans,etc that shows a world wide drought that dates to about 4500 years ago. Dang! That global warming science
Lets see, flood= wet, drought= dry. Dang !
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie and ACB picking up right where they left off!!!

Some things never change.

:twodancing:

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:Audie and ACB picking up right where they left off!!!

How wrong you are. Im just twitting him for being so silly.
Flood =dust is kinda funny, dont you think?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Audie and ACB picking up right where they left off!!!

How wrong you are. Im just twitting him for being so silly.
Flood =dust is kinda funny, dont you think?
Oh, so when you've been gone, you got your law degree, and picked up a sense of humor along the way?

See...miracles do happen!!!

:pound:

-Edward R Murrow