Scientific regress

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Scientific regress

Post by PaulSacramento »

When science fails, it really isn't science but scientists:
http://www.firstthings.com/article/2016 ... ic-regress

One part that I have been seeing far more that I should:
If science was unprepared for the influx of careerists, it was even less prepared for the blossoming of the Cult of Science. The Cult is related to the phenomenon described as “scientism”; both have a tendency to treat the body of scientific knowledge as a holy book or an a-religious revelation that offers simple and decisive resolutions to deep questions. But it adds to this a pinch of glib frivolity and a dash of unembarrassed ignorance. Its rhetorical tics include a forced enthusiasm (a search on Twitter for the hashtag “#sciencedancing” speaks volumes) and a penchant for profanity. Here in Silicon Valley, one can scarcely go a day without seeing a t-shirt reading “Science: It works, b—es!” The hero of the recent popular movie The Martian boasts that he will “science the sh— out of” a situation. One of the largest groups on Facebook is titled “I f—ing love Science!” (a name which, combined with the group’s penchant for posting scarcely any actual scientific material but a lot of pictures of natural phenomena, has prompted more than one actual scientist of my acquaintance to mutter under her breath, “What you truly love is pictures”). Some of the Cult’s leaders like to play dress-up as scientists—Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson are two particularly prominent examples— but hardly any of them have contributed any research results of note. Rather, Cult leadership trends heavily in the direction of educators, popularizers, and journalists.

At its best, science is a human enterprise with a superhuman aim: the discovery of regularities in the order of nature, and the discerning of the consequences of those regularities. We’ve seen example after example of how the human element of this enterprise harms and damages its progress, through incompetence, fraud, selfishness, prejudice, or the simple combination of an honest oversight or slip with plain bad luck. These failings need not hobble the scientific enterprise broadly conceived, but only if scientists are hyper-aware of and endlessly vigilant about the errors of their colleagues . . . and of themselves. When cultural trends attempt to render science a sort of religion-less clericalism, scientists are apt to forget that they are made of the same crooked timber as the rest of humanity and will necessarily imperil the work that they do. The greatest friends of the Cult of Science are the worst enemies of science’s actual practice.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Scientific regress

Post by Audie »

So Paul, is there some overall point you wish to make with your oddly sourced
articles about issues in science and society?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:So Paul, is there some overall point you wish to make with your oddly sourced
articles about issues in science and society?
That far too many times, social justice and political correctness are rearing their ugly head in Science and that not enough SCIENCE is actually being done.
See, as someone that LOVES science ( I have a degree in mechanical engineering and am working on one for Physics), I hate what some people use it for.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

I glanced at your website, saw an article savaging the unreplicatable
pseudoscience of psychology, a field held genrrally in the same regsrd doctors have for
chiropractors and homeopaths.

Thrre is an enormous amount of good science (lower case)
being done. Quack practitioners and political exploiters abound
in religions and science. Where else?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:I glanced at your website, saw an article savaging the unreplicatable
pseudoscience of psychology, a field held genrrally in the same regsrd doctors have for

It seems you have even far less regard for the mental sciences than I have.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Audie wrote:I glanced at your website, saw an article savaging the unreplicatable

It seems you have even far less regard for the mental sciences than I have.

I had to take a psych course.

The text was a fat turgid mess, the substance would hardly make a trifold pamphlet.

Psychology is evidently far harder than physics, next to nothing is being
learned.