AP - Handwriting study finds clues on when biblical texts written

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

AP - Handwriting study finds clues on when biblical texts written

Post by Jac3510 »

Handwriting study finds clues on when biblical texts written - AP
  • Israeli mathematicians and archaeologists say they have found evidence to suggest that key biblical texts may have been composed earlier than what some scholars think.

Using handwriting analysis technology similar to that employed by intelligence agencies and banks to analyze signatures, a Tel Aviv University team determined that a famous hoard of ancient Hebrew inscriptions, dated to around 600 BC, were written by at least six different authors. Although the inscriptions are not from the Bible, their discovery suggests there was widespread literacy in ancient Judah at the time that would support the composition of biblical works.

The findings, released Monday by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, an American scientific journal, contribute to a longstanding debate about when biblical texts first began to be compiled: Did it take place before or after the Babylonian siege and destruction of Jerusalem in 586 BC and the exile of its inhabitants to Babylon?
Read the rest of the article here.

Interesting article. A little short on details as is common with these sorts of articles. I'd like to read the full study (will post a link to it later--right now I'm posting from work). But just more empirical support for earlier composition of OT texts than often thought. The article focuses on the historical books, but application seems more directly related to me to the Law. Certainly no proof that Moses wrote the Pentateuch, but widespread literacy in such a culture definitely suggests a high value placed on studying the Law as such, and that becomes an important historical fact that needs to be fully weighed and addressed in these debates. You can't have a high cultural value on studying a text that doesn't exist, and the more widespread the importance of studying the text, the more formalized that text needs to be and the harder later redaction becomes. Again, we need to be careful not to overread this, but we can't underread it, either.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: AP - Handwriting study finds clues on when biblical texts written

Post by Philip »

Missed your post, Jac! But how many times have we seen scoffers proven wrong about the Bible, by archaeology? David and Solomon were mythical, etc.