Can People Feel Other People Looking At Them?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.

Can People Feel Other People Looking At Them?

Yes, I believe so.
50%
No, I do not believe so.
No votes
It's possible.
25%
It's impossible.
No votes
I'm undecided.
13%
I know of no controlled, double-blind, randomized, scientific study has shown any statistically significant evidence that anyone can sense when other people are looking at them. And people I know, who do claim the ability exists, invariably demonstrate a lack of understanding of probability and statistics, confirmation/selection bias, and numerous other investigative methodologies.
13%

Total votes: 8

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Can People Feel Other People Looking At Them?

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
BUT, you know I swear I have this gift. Not with guys, just women. They must be more sensitive to my manly power of suggestion. It just happened too often they turns around. So you know, I'm writing this book on how to use the power of suggestion to get the woman you want. I got mine. It'll only cost $1000. :twisted:
You can call it a gift, but women just call it creepy.
:mrgreen:
I think $1000 is a gift! I mean a lot of lonely men out there. Missing out on all those sandwiches and dishes being washed, and you know, some bedroom action. ;) Just $1000. Geesh. Bargain. For limited time only though I'll also splash some holy water my mother-in-law has over it. (just be warned, mother-in-laws often come with your wife)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
BUT, you know I swear I have this gift. Not with guys, just women. They must be more sensitive to my manly power of suggestion. It just happened too often they turns around. So you know, I'm writing this book on how to use the power of suggestion to get the woman you want. I got mine. It'll only cost $1000. :twisted:
You can call it a gift, but women just call it creepy.
:mrgreen:
:lol: I don't find it creepy - well, I can safely say that from the other side of the country... :econfused:
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Kurieuo wrote:You know, there's been times I've stared at people. Then they turn around, and make direct eye contact with me. It has happened on numerous occasions many years ago, when I was at school or uni.

Other times, I've turned around to meet the gaze of someone starring at me, and it's made me feel kind of awkward. I don't know why I turned around, just felt something I suppose and then saw someone looking at me.

Certainly it's not always constant, but I think common enough to believe there is some sort of observer effect happening.

Thoughts?
I've had a situation with my father when I was pretty young. He was sleeping and I pulled out a plastic sword but I didn't have any opponent but air, so, even though my father was sleeping, I began to "mock him" (when you put thumbs in your ears, tongue out... ya know it) because I wanted him to wake up and fight me. Well, I was really young. :mrgreen:
Anyway, I didn't produce any sound (I guess out of respect of letting him sleep since he did night shift), but he woke up and I immediately stopped the "mocking" and drew my sword out for him not to see what I was doing (since it'd be disrespectful, obviously). (looking again at the story it's kinda dumb but there is no other explanation but coincidence and eh... it is kinda unlikely for it to be coincidence. I mean, really, at that exact moment after I started he wakes up?)

I guess you can call it a "subconscious guard"/lookout/janitor (I've had a "similar" situation not long ago, if you want I can write it down). Maybe that is what happens in your case? They "feel" (i.e. you "disturb the guard" :mrgreen: ) you looking at them and they react as being told by their subconsciousness? I know, I've went into a lot of speculation without proof, but I guess it's something like that. Connected in some way, eh?
As a result, I've put "It's possible."
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:You know, there's been times I've stared at people. Then they turn around, and make direct eye contact with me. It has happened on numerous occasions many years ago, when I was at school or uni.

Other times, I've turned around to meet the gaze of someone starring at me, and it's made me feel kind of awkward. I don't know why I turned around, just felt something I suppose and then saw someone looking at me.

Certainly it's not always constant, but I think common enough to believe there is some sort of observer effect happening.

Thoughts?
I've had a situation with my father when I was pretty young. He was sleeping and I pulled out a plastic sword but I didn't have any opponent but air, so, even though my father was sleeping, I began to "mock him" (when you put thumbs in your ears, tongue out... ya know it) because I wanted him to wake up and fight me. Well, I was really young. :mrgreen:
Anyway, I didn't produce any sound (I guess out of respect of letting him sleep since he did night shift), but he woke up and I immediately stopped the "mocking" and drew my sword out for him not to see what I was doing (since it'd be disrespectful, obviously). (looking again at the story it's kinda dumb but there is no other explanation but coincidence and eh... it is kinda unlikely for it to be coincidence. I mean, really, at that exact moment after I started he wakes up?)

I guess you can call it a "subconscious guard"/lookout/janitor (I've had a "similar" situation not long ago, if you want I can write it down). Maybe that is what happens in your case? They "feel" (i.e. you "disturb the guard" :mrgreen: ) you looking at them and they react as being told by their subconsciousness? I know, I've went into a lot of speculation without proof, but I guess it's something like that. Connected in some way, eh?
You should have your father's midichlorian count checked. He could be the chosen one.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

SUPERMAN could sure make ya feel his gaze.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:

Thoughts?

You should have your father's midichlorian count checked. He could be the chosen one.
Yeah, I just asked him to tell me if he is the chosen one. He asked me how did I know that and transformed into superman with tentacles. Afterwards, he stated this isn't even his final form and said a guy named RickD arouses him in a good way. :twisted:

¿ɥǝ 'ɔıdoʇ ɟɟo buıob doʇs puɐ doʇs oʇ ɯsɐɔɹɐs ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ʞsɐ oʇ ssǝןʇuıod sı ʇı ssǝnb ı
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:
RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah, I just asked him to tell me if he is the chosen one. He asked me how did I know that and transformed into superman with tentacles. Afterwards, he stated this isn't even his final form and said a guy named RickD arouses him in a good way. :twisted:

¿ɥǝ 'ɔıdoʇ ɟɟo buıob doʇs puɐ doʇs oʇ ɯsɐɔɹɐs ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ʞsɐ oʇ ssǝןʇuıod sı ʇı ssǝnb ı
Ahem...midichlorian count has to do with the chosen jedi. Not Superman.

And as far as the sarcasm stopping...I can't. I've tried. It's who I am.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:

Thoughts?

Ahem...midichlorian count has to do with the chosen jedi. Not Superman.

And as far as the sarcasm stopping...I can't. I've tried. It's who I am.
It's Satan, man. Don't let Satan overwhelm you! You can do it!

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

See? We made this thread interesting!

Oops. There goes the uncontrollable sarcasm again.

-Edward R Murrow

IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:See? We made this thread interesting!

So that is how you got your 13k posts... Double posts, spam and sarcasm? Pffff... I expected more from you!!

Why did you lock the free will thread btw? Yes, Audacity probably didn't want to read or understand what others said, but the questions posed by the user are interesting :mrgreen:

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:
RickD wrote:See? We made this thread interesting!

So that is how you got your 13k posts... Double posts, spam and sarcasm? Pffff... I expected more from you!!Well, there's your first mistake. Most people don't expect much from me, so they're not disappointed.

Why did you lock the free will thread btw? Yes, Audacity probably didn't want to read or understand what others said, but the questions posed by the user are interesting :mrgreen:check your pms

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Kurieuo wrote:Here is an interesting paper relevant to this thread, one of the reasons I started it:
The Sense of Being Stared At: Is It Real or Illusory (Part 1)
That was interesting reading.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I voted yes but I'm a fan of Rupert Sheldrake and I even believe dogs can sense when there owners are returning home also.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

On the original poll I went for yes.

I still do.

My thoughts....

My dog, Marley, and the cat, Cosmo, are often waiting for me at the door on my return home. That may be some sense or maybe it`s just some kind of internal clock, better hearing and so on but....

A few years ago, my husband and I were playing cards. He said "Okay, tell me what card I`m looking at" I did. Thirteen times. In a row. The fourteenth time, I was wrong with the suit, I picked the suit he first thought of (it was a diamond, he thought of hearts for a second before focusing on the card).

There is a house, a setting in my past, that holds a lot of memories for me, not good ones either. He had a dream one night, woke and drew a picture of his dream. In the morning, when he told me, I got a photo of fore mentioned house. Guess what? It was the same place, and no, he didn`t know of it, or it`s significance.

Psychic, connected? Just coincidence, chance?
Idk.

I know the odds of those two things happening are miniscule.
I know we have never done anything similar since.
I know that we know each other incredibly well (although at the time these things happened we had only been together a few months)

I have sensed people looking at me, I have been looking at someone and they turn. So, who knows?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

Kurieuo wrote:Here is an interesting paper relevant to this thread, one of the reasons I started it:
The Sense of Being Stared At: Is It Real or Illusory (Part 1)
Thanks for sharing, and pretty surprising. I guess it's possible something was overlooked, but the criticism that the research wasn't properly randomized seemed a bit like grasping at straws, given how the resultant experiment was carried out.

And I put yes.