The earth looks old

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
theophilus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

The earth looks old

Post by theophilus »

I recently noticed this thread:

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 29&t=35101

It begins with these words: "Does the earth look young? Parts of it do look young. However, it is only necessary to show that parts of the earth are old, in order to falsify the young earth hypothesis."

This statement is false. I believe in Young Earth Creation and I also believe the earth is old. “Young” and “old” are comparative words and a person or object can be young from one perspective and old from another. For example, when I was a teenager I considered anyone who was 40 years old to be old; now I am 74 and I consider a 40 year old to be young. “Young earth creation” is the belief that the earth is much younger that the billions of years most people believe it to be. In fact it is over 6,000 years old.

Age isn’t the only factor that affects the earth’s appearance. The people God created sinned and their sin has affected the whole world. God sent a flood which covered the whole earth and wiped all of the human race except for Noah and his family. This flood completely changed the geography of the earth and produced most of the fossils that we find today. It brought about permanent changes in the earth and atmosphere that are the source of storms, earthquakes, and other natural disasters that we experience today.

People who engage in unhealthy lifestyles such as excessive use of alcohol and tobacco often look older that people the same age who don’t follow these practices. Perhaps this same principle applies to the earth. It looks much older than is really is because its inhabitants have adopted a lifestyle of rebellion against God and his laws.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The earth looks old

Post by RickD »

theophilus wrote:
This statement is false. I believe in Young Earth Creation and I also believe the earth is old. “Young” and “old” are comparative words and a person or object can be young from one perspective and old from another. For example, when I was a teenager I considered anyone who was 40 years old to be old; now I am 74 and I consider a 40 year old to be young. “Young earth creation” is the belief that the earth is much younger that the billions of years most people believe it to be. In fact it is over 6,000 years old.
This has to be the most ridiculous, self defeating post that I've ever read.

You know the difference between "young" and "old", in the context of this discussion. Young means thousands of years old. Old means billions.
So, you can't believe on one hand, that the earth is old(billions of years old), while on the other hand, believe in young earth creation, which says the earth is young(thousands of years old).

Again,
For the sake of OEC/YEC discussions, young=thousands, and old=billions. And you know that.

You are attempting to move the goal posts, by saying you think the earth is old, when you believe it's actually young(according to accepted YEC/OEC definitions). And that's dishonest. And you know better than this.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

theophilus wrote:I recently noticed this thread:

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 29&t=35101

It begins with these words: "Does the earth look young? Parts of it do look young. However, it is only necessary to show that parts of the earth are old, in order to falsify the young earth hypothesis."

Age isn’t the only factor that affects the earth’s appearance. The people God created sinned and their sin has affected the whole world. God sent a flood which covered the whole earth and wiped all of the human race except for Noah and his family. This flood completely changed the geography of the earth and produced most of the fossils that we find today. It brought about permanent changes in the earth and atmosphere that are the source of storms, earthquakes, and other natural disasters that we experience today.

People who engage in unhealthy lifestyles such as excessive use of alcohol and tobacco often look older that people the same age who don’t follow these practices. Perhaps this same principle applies to the earth. It looks much older than is really is because its inhabitants have adopted a lifestyle of rebellion against God and his laws.

What does the bible tell us? The bible tells us the earth is old and it is old.Sorry, but it cannot be both old and young.You should just go by the bible to get the answer.Genesis 2:4 "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created,in the day the Lord God made the earth and heavens." It is quite clear to me the earth is old and Moses knew it and taught it.It tells us the heavens and earth are old and not young.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

RickD wrote:You are attempting to move the goal posts, by saying you think the earth is old, when you believe it's actually young(according to accepted YEC/OEC definitions). And that's dishonest. And you know better than this.
I am simply pointing out that the words "young" and "old" are not absolute values but are relative terms.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
Disciplical
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Disciplical »

And all Rick is saying is that in the context of the age of the Earth, "young" and "old" have solid definitions. "Young" meaning thousands of years, "Old" meaning billions and billions of years. There's nothing relative about this and I'm not sure why you mentioned it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

theophilus wrote:
RickD wrote:You are attempting to move the goal posts, by saying you think the earth is old, when you believe it's actually young(according to accepted YEC/OEC definitions). And that's dishonest. And you know better than this.
I am simply pointing out that the words "young" and "old" are not absolute values but are relative terms.
As Disciplical said, young earth and old earth, are NOT relative terms in this discussion. And you know that.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

I'm confused...... Are you referring to our sinful treatment of the earth through pollution and emissions or..... are you simply referring to the flood being brought about by our sins? y:-?
pulvis sum
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

If the earth was actually thousands of years old, but it looks billions of years old only because of abuse, would that be like a 6 month old baby who looks like Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones? :lol:

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.