Why do 'Christians' find it hard to believe that God made earth and all that is in it in 6 days

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
jpbg33
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Why do 'Christians' find it hard to believe that God made earth and all that is in it in 6 days

Post by jpbg33 »

why do 'Christians' find it hard to believe that God created earth and all that is in it in 6 days

I believe it was done in 6 days. I believe he made full grown people and he made and a full grown earth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Why do 'Christians' find it hard to believe that God made earth and all that is in it in 6 days

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:why do 'Christians' find it hard to believe that God created earth and all that is in it in 6 days

I believe it was done in 6 days. I believe he made full grown people and he made and a full grown earth.
Some Christians do believe God created the earth in 6 days. Some even believe the entire universe was created in 6 days.

As to why some Christians find it hard to believe...maybe because they believe scripture and nature show otherwise.

I happen to be one who believes the "heavens and earth", in other words, the universe, was created in 6 days*.

*6 really, really, really, long days. ;)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Why do 'Christians' find it hard to believe that God made earth and all that is in it in 6 days

Post by RickD »

Jpbg,

You are a member of a forum on an Old Earth website, and you don't know the answer to your question?

Maybe you have seen this?

I think your question may have been addressed there. :shock:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

I do not find it hard to believe God could do it in 6 days.he could in 6 seconds.
But with my scientific background... nature seems to show otherwise.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Disciplical
Familiar Member

Post by Disciplical »

The immense amount of scientific evidence showing the Earth to be made over billions of years rather than a short period lead me to think that way. Unfortunately, I find most YEC arguments rather unconvincing.
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

For the same reason He didn't put us in a fishbowl of a universe: to demonstrate his Glory.

That God foreknew us before the foundation of the Earth means so much more when you think of 13,000,000,000 years vs. 6000!

That said, how long was a day in Genesis 1? Think about that in light of this.
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Why do YEC's ignore all of the death and extinction in the earth and make it fit from when God created Adam and Eve to Noah's flood? A 1500 year period? You cannot make it fit,which means your interpretation is wrong,not what nature God created reveals and God's word really says when you have the right interpretation of God's word.Nature God created and his word will not contradict each other when we have the right interpretation.Just the amount of fossil fuels man has used up proves the earth is not 6-10,000 years old.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

jpbg33 wrote:why do 'Christians' find it hard to believe that God created earth and all that is in it in 6 days

It was created in six days, but the issue surrounds what was intended by those days.

No one in their interpretation has a market on what was intended, or not intended.
All interpretations (and interpretations are man-made) seem to have weaknesses to some degree.
A YEC interpretation like AiG advocates makes for one of the worst extrapolations (imo).

So what do you believe these days represent, and why?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Can I ask why 'christians' have been placed in inverted commas?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

melanie wrote:Can I ask why 'christians' have been placed in inverted commas?
I was curious about that too, but just thought I'd let it lie. ;)
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I can see where you could say that no one was there so how knows how long a day was but the sun and moon were made early on in creation. So the 24 hour days we have now had to start then and if you notice God demonstrated that each day was no more than 24 hours long by saying referring to the day the morning and evening being a day. The only thing I can think of that would give y'all support would be that in geneses it doesn't say directly that it was consecutive days (I do believe that it was 6 consecutive day, but I am trying not to argue if evolution is wrong or is right but I am just trying to see where y'all are coming from.). So it could have been that he made earth on day 1 and then 1000 or so years later He made something else so no and so forth though out the 6 days. Which would have been 6 days but with space in between.

Now man coming from animals I do not see that at all. From what it says in the bible God said that He made earth then from earth He made every living creator. He said He made birds and fish from the water, then He said He made the other animals from the dirt. He didn't take fish and make other animals But He took dirt and made the other animals and man was stated as being another creation by how it was written. So if he made every thing else from the ground and not another part of creation then why not man. Why would they have to come from other animals. It says He made them from the dirt as well.

I can see that there are many types of birds and many types of dogs and many types of cats but there is only one type of human other than color.
So maybe that is why there is not a link of animal and human fossils. Because we didn't come from them but were created separately

I do not believe it happened like this but it is the best I can see it form y'all's point of view.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I have no problem in believing that God created the world or the universe in 6 days, IF there was evidence that he did so.
There isn't.
Disciplical
Familiar Member

Post by Disciplical »

jpbg33 wrote: I can see that there are many types of birds and many types of dogs and many types of cats but there is only one type of human other than color.
So maybe that is why there is not a link of animal and human fossils. Because we didn't come from them but were created separately
What is your view on human-like species such as Homo erectus, Homo neanderthalensis etc.?
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

If I could back track for just a moment -- back to the 7/24 hr days / week. Isn't time measured by how long it takes the earth to go around one time -- 24 hr clocks. "the evening and the morning' were the 1st day. The 7 day week -- it has Always been that way, hasn't it. Sabbath to Sabbath or Sunday to Sunday. It came from Somewhere -- why Not from the week of creation. God set up time that way for Mankind -- not for Himself.

That which causes some confusion is that a few people came up with their theory / concept of how all 'this' got here cause it was different from the Biblical Creation and they saw it could be an alternative. As well as -- Who is going to really question the scientific evidence that Seems to lend credence to the value of fossil finds. There Are fossils that Have been found -- true. But what is actually indicated by them -- would be left to the bias of the 'finders'.

And I am also interested in the response to 'Disciplical''s question.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I don't think that they are a real link from animals to humans. I look at them as entertainment purposes only.

I asked this question out to debate if evolution was true but to see why a lot of people here believing it.

Just to make sure it is clear I would like to say that I Know God created earth in 6 six days and on the 7th day He rested and that earth is only somewhere around 7,000 to 12,000 years old.

I know that rock look to be really old but really what is the difference in a rock made in an instance and one made in a 1,000,000,000 years.

God made grown people so why not a grown rock so to speak.