The God Delusion

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
evobulgarevo
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: The God Delusion

Post by evobulgarevo »

Hi, thanks. :)

I believe in God, and have accepted Jesus Christ as my saviour. My knowledge on the whole subject, however, can definitely benefit from more reading on the matter.

I've only read The New Testament and I recall that there was something about finding your way to God without reading the Bible? Is this something that sounds familiar?

Though, for me it was only after I read The New Testament that I could firmly say 'I believe in God'. Before that, it's not that I didn't believe, I just didn't disbelieve. And to be honest, I was fearful of doubting the existence of God since I can remember. It just kindda felt like the smart thing to do.

Also, is it faith in Jesus as a person or in the him as a teacher? I mean, having faith in the teachings of Jesus Christ and living by them, isn't that same thing?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

evobulgarevo wrote:Hi, thanks. :)

I believe in God, and have accepted Jesus Christ as my saviour. My knowledge on the whole subject, however, can definitely benefit from more reading on the matter.

I've only read The New Testament and I recall that there was something about finding your way to God without reading the Bible? Is this something that sounds familiar?
I`m not the best person to ask about Scripture but yes, I think there is something in the NT, something along the lines of seek God with all of your heart and mind.
evobulgarevo wrote:Though, for me it was only after I read The New Testament that I could firmly say 'I believe in God'. Before that, it's not that I didn't believe, I just didn't disbelieve. And to be honest, I was fearful of doubting the existence of God since I can remember. It just kindda felt like the smart thing to do.
I believed in God long before I came to Christ.
evobulgarevo wrote:Also, is it faith in Jesus as a person or in the him as a teacher? I mean, having faith in the teachings of Jesus Christ and living by them, isn't that same thing?
That`s a good question! I suppose it`s possible to have faith in the teachings of Christ and try and live by them without accepting Christ so I guess both as a person and as a teacher. It`s about having faith that Christ alone is our Saviour.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

evobulgarevo wrote:
Also, is it faith in Jesus as a person or in the him as a teacher?
actually evo, I think it's faith in Jesus as God. As long as that's true then His living example and teachings follow as well.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Apparently the God delusion helped 'deconvert' this Christian Musician..

But Rome never crumbles in a day.. probably shouldn't give dawkins too much credit

http://www.christianpost.com/news/metal ... on-164418/
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Christian de-conversations always bring to mind OSAS theology. Two options:

1) Either he was never truly Christian.
2) He is still saved regardless.

You're right though, in order to accept The God Delusion you'd already dismissive of much.
I'd say parts just resonated with him on the way out.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I started listening to WLC talk on this guy.

Havent heard it all yet but he was saying how it was sad that the guy didnt find the answers he needed. But to be fair, there is so much information out there now to give insights into these issues that you dont have to just rely on the Christians immediately around you for help.

Even in NZ where apologetics seems pushed aside and testimonies take front center, theres just no excuse really to not look into these kinda issues. Theres the internet at your finger tips.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I dont know his heart, but maybe he was looking for a way out and he wanted to justify it.

The God delusion is not a road block unless you choose to treat it as one.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Maybe if he would read Copan's: Is God a Moral Monster?, he would de-de-convert.

Copan actually deals with what scripture says. Not atheist straw-man arguments.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Maybe if he would read Copan's: Is God a Moral Monster?, he would de-de-convert.

Copan actually deals with what scripture says. Not atheist straw-man arguments.
Righto, Rick! Copan's is a great and important book every thinking Christian should have on their bookshelf! It greatly illuminates the Old Testament and the laws and actions of God that seem so alien to us - at least in contrast with how Jesus seems so different. Copan reveals the very same loving, patient - and yes, just, God.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Kurieuo wrote:Christian de-conversations always bring to mind OSAS theology. Two options:

What?? How is that possible?

What is osas?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Christian de-conversations always bring to mind OSAS theology. Two options:

What?? How is that possible?

What is osas?
OSAS once saved always saved

And it's possible because once one is saved(has eternal life), God keeps him secure.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Lol what?????
This is the first time I hear something like that.

Could you explain?

Like, at some point in life he accepts Jesus as God and then later on decides all of that is bulls#it. Still saved?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:Lol what?????

Could you explain?

Like, at some point in life he accepts Jesus as God and then later on decides all of that is bulls#it. Still saved?
Not quite. It's not just accepting Christ as God. One must believe in/trust in Christ for salvation.

And if you're interested in learning more, do a search on this site. There are plenty of threads about it.

Or, just accept John 3:16 for what it actually says.

-Edward R Murrow

IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:Lol what?????

Could you explain?

Not quite. It's not just accepting Christ as God. One must believe in/trust in Christ for salvation.

And if you're interested in learning more, do a search on this site. There are plenty of threads about it.

Or, just accept John 3:16 for what it actually says.
I need a better captain than this one. Sumbudi, plis. :shelp:

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Can a baby not be born after its been born?