Climate change

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
theophilus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Climate change

Post by theophilus »

Is climate change caused by human activity? Here are the opening statements of a debate of this subject on a site called procon.org.
PRO Human Causation

Overwhelming scientific consensus says human activity is primarily responsible for global climate change. The 2010 Anderegg study found that 97-98% of climate researchers publishing most actively in their field agree that human activity is primarily responsible for global climate change. The study also found that the expertise of researchers unconvinced of human-caused climate change is “substantially below” that of researchers who agree that human activity is primarily responsible for climate change. The 2013 Cook review of 11,944 peer-reviewed studies on climate change found that only 78 studies (0.7%) explicitly rejected the position that humans are responsible for global warming.

CON Human Causation

More than one thousand scientists disagree that human activity is primarily responsible for global climate change. In 2010 Climate Depot released a report featuring more than 1,000 scientists, several of them former UN IPCC scientists, who disagreed that humans are primarily responsible for global climate change. The Cook review of 11,944 peer-reviewed studies found 66.4% of the studies had no stated position on anthropogenic global warming, and while 32.6% of the studies implied or stated that humans are contributing to climate change, only 65 papers (0.5%) explicitly stated “that humans are the primary cause of recent global warming.”
You can read the complete debate here: http://climatechange.procon.org/

The Bible reveals that human activities do produce climate change, but in a way neither of the debaters quoted above has ever imagined.

This is the first climate change caused by humans:
Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight, and the earth was filled with violence. And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth.

And God said to Noah, “I have determined to make an end of all flesh, for the earth is filled with violence through them. Behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Make yourself an ark of gopher wood. Make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark 300 cubits, its breadth 50 cubits, and its height 30 cubits. Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above, and set the door of the ark in its side. Make it with lower, second, and third decks.

For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life under heaven. Everything that is on the earth shall die.”
Genesis 6:11-17 ESV
This is one of the final changes:
The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and it was allowed to scorch people with fire. They were scorched by the fierce heat, and they cursed the name of God who had power over these plagues. They did not repent and give him glory.
Revelation 16:8-9 ESV
We have all heard warnings about global warming. There will be a time of global warming so severe that our present climate will seem like an Ice Age by comparison and it will be caused by God’s judgment on sin.

A study of the life of Elijah shows the relationship between the planet’s physical climate and the moral climate of its inhabitants.
In the thirty-eighth year of Asa king of Judah, Ahab the son of Omri began to reign over Israel, and Ahab the son of Omri reigned over Israel in Samaria twenty-two years. And Ahab the son of Omri did evil in the sight of the LORD, more than all who were before him.

And as if it had been a light thing for him to walk in the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, he took for his wife Jezebel the daughter of Ethbaal king of the Sidonians, and went and served Baal and worshiped him. He erected an altar for Baal in the house of Baal, which he built in Samaria. And Ahab made an Asherah. Ahab did more to provoke the LORD, the God of Israel, to anger than all the kings of Israel who were before him.

In his days Hiel of Bethel built Jericho. He laid its foundation at the cost of Abiram his firstborn, and set up its gates at the cost of his youngest son Segub, according to the word of the LORD, which he spoke by Joshua the son of Nun.

Now Elijah the Tishbite, of Tishbe in Gilead, said to Ahab, “As the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, before whom I stand, there shall be neither dew nor rain these years, except by my word.”
1 Kings 16:29-17:1 ESV
A drought began when the people of Israel turned from God and began to worship Baal. It ended when they repented of their Baal worship and returned to God.
And at the time of the offering of the oblation, Elijah the prophet came near and said, “O LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your word. Answer me, O LORD, answer me, that this people may know that you, O LORD, are God, and that you have turned their hearts back.”

Then the fire of the LORD fell and consumed the burnt offering and the wood and the stones and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench. And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and said, “The LORD, he is God; the LORD, he is God.”

And Elijah said to them, “Seize the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape.” And they seized them. And Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon and slaughtered them there.

And Elijah said to Ahab, “Go up, eat and drink, for there is a sound of the rushing of rain.” So Ahab went up to eat and to drink.

And Elijah went up to the top of Mount Carmel. And he bowed himself down on the earth and put his face between his knees. And he said to his servant, “Go up now, look toward the sea.” And he went up and looked and said, “There is nothing.” And he said, “Go again,” seven times.

And at the seventh time he said, “Behold, a little cloud like a man’s hand is rising from the sea.” And he said, “Go up, say to Ahab, ‘Prepare your chariot and go down, lest the rain stop you.’”

And in a little while the heavens grew black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode and went to Jezreel.
1 Kings 18:36-45 ESV
California is suffering from a severe drought. I wonder if it has occurred to any of the residents that they might be able to find the solution to their problem by studying the life of Elijah.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: Climate change

Post by neo-x »

Too bad most of them are not christian. You are right, its just too bad that drought and famine laden countries are not christian and repenting and praying, if they had been there would be instant replenishment, the heaven would open up and never go dry again. Too bad those starving children skeletons are not christian, if they just knew how to pray...\

As they say, a prayer a day keeps the famine away.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Hahahaha! I live in Oregon and I pray the rain will not come. :pound:
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

I live in Oregon and I pray the rain will not come
Lived in a small town named Tualatin in the early 80's .. spent a lot of time in the Whale's Cove through Lincoln area too.

How does that Oregonian saying go Mallz ? If you wait for the rain to stop to get anything done, YOU'LL NEVER GET ANYTHING DONE ! ... :pound:

3, 4th of July's ... not one of them dry
3 New years, all of them gorgeous....
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

If you wait for the rain to stop to get anything done, YOU'LL NEVER GET ANYTHING DONE !
Ha! so true. I do miss the rain I'll be honest. It'll be interesting to see how the weather continues. I know Tualatin! I live in Salem, work in Portland. ^_^
Lincoln beach I'm presuming? Awesome area too. Love Oregon and Washington, great places to live. Unmatched beauty except by the tropics.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Actually had relatives who lived in Lincoln City, just north of the beach... spent a lot of time in each... all along northern coastal Oregon.

Maine is identical summer weather, with a really well defined 4 seasons. Oregon was a 3 season place where cold never gets a foot hold. I loved living in Oregon but will never leave Maine. I found my spot and now I'm burrowed in ! y/:] :wave:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

As of right now we do not have ANY predictable climate change program.
That means that all the compute models for climate change have not produces any correct data.
In short it is nor verifiable and repeatable, which are TWO of the criteria for something to be a scientific theory.
In short, climate change is not a verifiable science and all the scandals of falsified data don't help the cause either.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

The thing about climate change - IT'S ALL IN GOD'S HANDS!!! Is GW/Climate change man-caused? Maybe? Maybe not. Is any man-made GW significant? Given the past violent cycles and periods of great warmth/great cold, it's hard to parse any impact vs. what is a natural cycle. Historically, is what we've observed since the industrial revolution without precedent on planet earth? Absolutely not? IF GW is man-caused and putting us on a dangerous, castastrophic trajectory, what could we do about it? VERY little, actually. The tools we have to control the climate are puny and likely not very effective.

If we were to take absolutely draconian measures in cleaning up our planet's air from factories, etc., it would still make a very minimum impact. To cooperate, it would take a worldwide effort in which all countries adhered to very strict standards and practices - that would be very costly. Ain't gonna happen! China and other countries are building coal-fired plants as fast as they can build them. Think the leadership in such countries is worried about GW? Ha! They are far more concerned with how their productivity and gross domestic output looks on next quarter's balance sheets. You think such leaders are worried about the impact of climate decades away? A FEW are, but not nearly what it would take to even minimally slow down, much less reverse, potential warming. And our tools to measure all of this are very crude. The climate computer models very hamstrung by inadequate data applied to inadequate formulas based upon many unknowns and assumptions. Manipulation of data for various agendas of profit, control, politics - ALL of that, of course.

All of the above, as cynical as it sounds, doesn't mean we shouldn't keep researching and try to produce the cleanest air and environment where possible. But there's a prudent balance of all this - where, I don't know. But mostly, we must trust the One who DOES know, as ONLY He is truly in control! If we ever start to think our planet's positive future relies only upon the genius and initiatives of man, we have greatly deluded ourselves!