Pluto's atmosphere

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
theophilus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Pluto's atmosphere

Post by theophilus »

New Horizons has discovered a region of cold, dense ionized gas tens of thousands of miles beyond Pluto -- the planet’s atmosphere being stripped away by the solar wind and lost to space. Beginning an hour and half after closest approach, the Solar Wind Around Pluto (SWAP) instrument observed a cavity in the solar wind -- the outflow of electrically charged particles from the Sun -- between 48,000 miles (77,000 km) and 68,000 miles (109,000 km) downstream of Pluto. SWAP data revealed this cavity to be populated with nitrogen ions forming a “plasma tail” of undetermined structure and length extending behind the planet.
http://www.nasa.gov/nh/pluto-wags-its-tail

Most scientists believe Pluto and the rest of the solar system were formed several billion years ago. If Pluto is that old shouldn't it have lost all of its atmosphere a long time ago?

On the other hand if Pluto was created only a few thousand years ago there is no reason it shouldn't still have an atmosphere.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Pluto's atmosphere

Post by RickD »

I think basically Pluto gave up its will to live, and keep its atmosphere when it was downgraded to a dwarf planet in 2006.

Pluto already suffered from self-esteem issues because it was the smallest planet. And since Zoloft isn't available 4.67 billion miles from Earth, Pluto just gave up the will to go on.

I think if you look at how much of its atmosphere Pluto has lost, you'll find it's consistent with my hypothesis.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

All kidding aside,

If Pluto looks young, it may mean that Pluto is young. This article seems to show that Pluto is young. Well, young compared to the rest of the solar system. They seem to think Pluto is less than 100 million years old.
The “most stunning thing” about the whole stunning image is that the scientists have not found a single impact crater seen in the frame. “This means this is a very young surface,” Spencer says, because “Pluto is being bombarded by other objects in the Kuiper Belt.” They guesstimate it has to be “less than a hundred million years old, which is a small fraction of the 4-and-a-half billion year age of the solar system” (in fact, 1/45th that time span). Not only that, “It might be active right now,” he added. “With no craters, you just can’t put a lower limit on how active it might be.” - See more at: http://crev.info/2015/07/pluto-is-young/#.dpuf
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

theophilus wrote:
New Horizons has discovered a region of cold, dense ionized gas tens of thousands of miles beyond Pluto -- the planet’s atmosphere being stripped away by the solar wind and lost to space. Beginning an hour and half after closest approach, the Solar Wind Around Pluto (SWAP) instrument observed a cavity in the solar wind -- the outflow of electrically charged particles from the Sun -- between 48,000 miles (77,000 km) and 68,000 miles (109,000 km) downstream of Pluto. SWAP data revealed this cavity to be populated with nitrogen ions forming a “plasma tail” of undetermined structure and length extending behind the planet.

Most scientists believe Pluto and the rest of the solar system were formed several billion years ago. If Pluto is that old shouldn't it have lost all of its atmosphere a long time ago?

On the other hand if Pluto was created only a few thousand years ago there is no reason it shouldn't still have an atmosphere.
So God created the universe to appear old to trick us? I just don't like thinking like that,Satan is the deceiver and I think that if nature God created does not line up with your interpretation? You might need to question your interpretation,instead of ignoring what God created tells us and sticking to an interpretation that does not line up.Satan is the deceiver,not God.Why can't young earth creationists question if their interpretation is wrong like others have.They will not at all,question their interpretation even when it does not line up with what God created and the bible does not tell us how old the heavens and earth are,it is by interpretation and the biblical chronology they go by only has to do with when Adam and Eve were created not the heavens and the earth.I also do not like the idea that God can't create things perfect either,when we know brand new things are brand new when they are created.Think of a brand new car,it is perfect and we can tell when it gets old.No offense intended.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Hey, pay no attention to Gappy Guy! If Pluto looks young it's because he IS young - in DOG years!

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Umm...Pluto wasn't named after something silly, like a fictional dog. Pluto was named after the Roman God of Death.

As you can see from the photo, Pluto was named after a real guy with a three headed psycho dog.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Pluto does NOT drool! y[-(
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:Pluto does NOT drool! y[-(
Umm...Philip...that's Cerberus, the 3 headed dog that's drooling. Pluto is the guy. y#-o

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Pluto is the guy. y#-o
Not THAT Pluto, dummy!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The planet is named for the mythical god of the underworld. And Lowell got the idea for the name from a young girl. Walt Disney named his cartoon character soon after the "planet" was discovered - around 1930 - so he likely named it after the planet.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:Umm...Pluto wasn't named after something silly, like a fictional dog. Pluto was named after the Roman God of Death.

As you can see from the photo, Pluto was named after a real guy with a three headed psycho dog.
That's right, the Trinity was formed from Cerberus. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I thought it was named after a South Devon Railway Gorgon class locomotive. :?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

:swhat: this actually ties in? :clap:
West Cornwall Railway[edit]
Pluto (1866 – 1892) GWR no. 2123
Pluto is believed to have been one of the two locomotives on the last passenger train from Penzance on 20 May 1892 before the broad gauge was abandoned. Named after a Roman mythological character, Pluto.
:ebiggrin: y:-? who are you ? :lol:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

theophilus wrote:

Are you serious?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com