Is secularism spreading?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Onetheist
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Is secularism spreading?

Post by Onetheist »

After my father passed away five years ago due to sudden cancer, I am the only remaining believer in my family. In fact my two siblings and my mother are now self proclaimed atheists. Ugh!
I have to put God away and keep Jesus out of conversations and such or else they will become offended. This is all very subtle but you get the picture. In addition to this, they each have two children so
they have made the decision to keep it real simple for their kids, "there is no God". They tell their kids that God is just a made up fantasy from our ancestors so that they could have hope.

Can anyone relate to this story? Its very difficult because I happen to know for a fact that they are so wrong about God. LOL However, I also know that there is nothing they can do to change my mind,
and that there is most likely nothing I can do to enlighten them either. The worst part of this story is that they are my family. It is like losing a family to atheism. Hush hush now, or you wont be invited to
the next pop up family gathering. Wowzers!

Just looking to hear other stories or situations from those who can relate. Not sure about advice, however if someone has a special key I will accept it. Thank you...
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Re: Is secularism spreading?

Post by PaulSacramento »

People don't like rules and things that they feel infringe on their right to do whatever they want to feel good.
So yes, secularism is increasing and understandably so.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:People don't like rules and things that they feel infringe on their right to do whatever they want to feel good.

Good example of the kind of bigotry so common among nominal christians.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:People don't like rules and things that they feel infringe on their right to do whatever they want to feel good.
A quick look at the people in prison tells me you don't need to be a secularist/atheist to do what you want; lot of Christians in prison.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:

Bigotry?
really?

bigotry
[big-uh-tree]
Spell Syllables
Synonyms Examples Word Origin
noun, plural bigotries.
stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

Pot meet keetle.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:
A quick look at the people in prison tells me you don't need to be a secularist/atheist to do what you want; lot of Christians in prison.

Ken
Absolutely.
No ideology has a monopoly on stupidity.

Of course Christianity does NOT say that Christians WON'T misbehave and do bad, on the contrary.

As Augustine said, the body of Christ is a hospital for sinners, not a museum of saints.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Absolutely.
No ideology has a monopoly on stupidity.

Of course Christianity does NOT say that Christians WON'T misbehave and do bad, on the contrary.

As Augustine said, the body of Christ is a hospital for sinners, not a museum of saints.
That's a great quote.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Kenny wrote:

Ken
There's also a lot of people in prison who find God and turn thier life around because of it.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Audie wrote:

Bigotry?
really?

bigotry
[big-uh-tree]
Spell Syllables
noun, plural bigotries.
stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

Pot meet keetle.

If you dont like that one applied to you, then you might try not earning it.

What word, exactly, is the one to use for your making such a ridiculous prejudiced statement of a fact that you could not possibly know to be true? Something about invidious stereotyping, and pants on fire?

How do you, as, you know, a nominal christian, justify such behaviour?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Audie wrote:

Bigotry?
really?

bigotry
[big-uh-tree]
Spell Syllables
noun, plural bigotries.

Pot meet keetle.

If you dont like that one applied to you, then you might try not earning it.

What word, exactly, is the one to use for your making such a ridiculous prejudiced statement of a fact that you could not possibly know to be true? Something about invidious stereotyping, and pants on fire?

How do you, as, you know, a nominal christian, justify such behaviour?
Audie, you might want to remove the redwood tree from your own eye first.
Paul is not a nominal Christian.
nominal Christian
The Lausanne Committee for World Evangelization (LCWE) defines a nominal Christian as "a person who has not responded in repentance and faith to Jesus Christ as his personal Saviour and Lord." The LCWE notes that such a one "may be a practising or non-practising church member. He may give intellectual assent to basic Christian doctrines and claim to be a Christian. He may be faithful in attending liturgical rites and worship services, and be an active member involved in church affairs."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominal_Christian

In other words, a nominal Christian is one in name only. That's why it's called nominal.
Nominal
(of a role or status) existing in name only.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I may relate to your story only very remotely and kind of vice versa.
My family being mostly atheists, you know, when you become Christian they may take it as betrayal.
I have no idea what is going on inside the heart of my dad. He was so proud of me. Even obtained phd.
Now I am Christian. But now I recall that he is already fine with me believing in God. What he does not want is me having friends from particular denomination which I myself find most Christian.

Anyway we do not speak at all about our thoughts/feelings/opinions. I wonder what they think about my deep poems. I have no idea.

You know, Jesus said to his mother about disciples: this is my family.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

1over137 wrote:I may relate to your story only very remotely and kind of vice versa.
My family being mostly atheists, you know, when you become Christian they may take it as betrayal.
I have no idea what is going on inside the heart of my dad. He was so proud of me. Even obtained phd.
Now I am Christian. But now I recall that he is already fine with me believing in God. What he does not want is me having friends from particular denomination which I myself find most Christian.

Anyway we do not speak at all about our thoughts/feelings/opinions. I wonder what they think about my deep poems. I have no idea.

You know, Jesus said to his mother about disciples: this is my family.
My impression of a couple of other moderators here is that they lean toward the partisan hack side of fair minded. You, I respect, so I will take your word as final here.

Phil said quite a number of things about me that he simply made up, and which are not true at all. I declined to enumerate them, or have any commerece at all with phil; RD hops in to make fun of me as sidestepping. Paulsac there above said something invidious about "secularists", it being something he could not possibly actually know, and as such is, in my opinion, a most unreasonable and unchristian thing to say.

RD has jumped in and added to it in both cases.

IF you feel that I am altogether in the wrong here, and that there is nothing partisan or unreasonable about what phil or rd have said, please say so now.

A single word will do, if you do. And if so, my single word response is given here:

bye.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Paulsac there above said something invidious about "secularists", it being something he could not possibly actually know, and as such is, in my opinion, a most unreasonable and unchristian thing to say.
First off, like Rick pointed out, I am not a nominal Christian.
Second, I pointed out that you were not using the term "bigot" correctly and under he correct use, you are far more than I.
Third, stating an obvious observable generalization is NOT an unchristian thing at all.

Now, before you go on a rant about generalizations realize that they ARE applicable to the MASSES but NOT to the individual.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Just to make it clear again:

bigotry
[big-uh-tree]
Spell Syllables
noun, plural bigotries.

Nowhere does my comment show intolerance of any creed or belief.
I have no problem at all with secularism.
I used to be one.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I wanted to react to the topic and not some strife here.

Audie, I know you said bye, but still, you may pm me and we can talk.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart