Marriage

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Marriage

Post by RickD »

UsagiTsukino wrote:Hey has there been a poll or anytype of numbers are how big polygamy is?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:
UsagiTsukino wrote:Hey has there been a poll or anytype of numbers are how big polygamy is?
google.png
google.png (40.94 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
googleis.png
googleis.png (35.82 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »

16% in the US find polygamy morally acceptable
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

So is that bad since it went up from 7%
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

All hell will break loose at the magic number of 50.5%.

Call me when it reaches that.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

RickD wrote:All hell will break loose at the magic number of 50.5%.

Okay, you think Polygamy will be legalized in the next 20 to 30 years?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/26/living/re ... polyamory/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2013 ... loset.html

about 30,000 to 50,000 are said to practice polygamy
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

UsagiTsukino wrote:
RickD wrote:All hell will break loose at the magic number of 50.5%.

Okay, you think Polygamy will be legalized in the next 20 to 30 years?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/26/living/re ... polyamory/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2013 ... loset.html

about 30,000 to 50,000 are said to practice polygamy
Once homosexual "marriage" becomes legal, legal polygamy can't be far behind. If the law cannot discriminate against homosexual "marriage", then it can't discriminate against polygamy nor incestual marriage too.

The can of worms has been opened.

Btw, I was kidding about the 50.5% number. It doesn't matter how many people approve of polygamy. Here in the U.S., the Supreme Court forced gay "marriage " on us as legal. It didn't go to a popular vote.

-Edward R Murrow

UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

When we think about the majority of people who practice Polygamy are Mormons
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

The question everyone needs to answer before talking anything marriage is: "What is marriage?"
No, not your superficial dictionary response, but deeper roots of what the word itself means and is intended to represent.

What is it that happens in "marriage"? Why is it supposedly important to be "married"? What is the purpose of "marriage"?
Is it a physical representation, spiritual representation, a divine design, natural design, social construct, certificate?

People just like to start at the end as though it is just obvious what "marriage" is.
I pretty sure that what I understand marriage to be would not be desired even by Atheists and probably 95% of homosexual couples.
Heck, what I defined as marriage when with my wife out of "wedlock" was rejected by pretty much all Christians I came into contact with.

Once "marriage" is fully defined then discussion can be had.
BUT, I dare say once that is defined then there would be no discussion left to be had.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Kurieuo wrote:The question everyone needs to answer before talking anything marriage is: "What is marriage?"
No, not your superficial dictionary response, but deeper roots of what the word itself means and is intended to represent.

What is it that happens in "marriage"? Why is it supposedly important to be "married"? What is the purpose of "marriage"?
Is it a physical representation, spiritual representation, a divine design, natural design, social construct, certificate?
As a Christian I think Jesus' definition of marriage is a great place to start. And if you dig into Jesus' definition of marriage, it actually addresses a number of the questions that you pose.

Matthew 19:4-6
4 And He answered and said, “Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.”
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

There was once a man considering marriage to one sister of Siamese Twins. But he broke it off because all of the state courts (at the time) they tried with considered such a marriage polygamy, and thus the courts wouldn't issue them a marriage license. And we often think WE don't have enough personal privacy - just imagine THAT! :shock: I guess the OTHER twin must have really liked the fiancee of her sister a LOT! :D
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:There was once a man considering marriage to one sister of Siamese Twins. But he broke it off because all of the state courts (at the time) they tried with considered such a marriage polygamy, and thus the courts wouldn't issue them a marriage license. And we often think WE don't have enough personal privacy - just imagine THAT! :shock: I guess the OTHER twin must have really liked the fiancee of her sister a LOT! :D
Now that's just weird!

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Philip wrote:
There was once a man considering marriage to one sister of Siamese Twins. But he broke it off because all of the state courts (at the time) they tried with considered such a marriage polygamy, and thus the courts wouldn't issue them a marriage license. And we often think WE don't have enough personal privacy - just imagine THAT! :shock: I guess the OTHER twin must have really liked the fiancee of her sister a LOT! :D
Rick: Now that's just weird!
True story, Rick!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... 1920s.html

If the one sister had successfully married, that might have been considered the first simultaneously "plural, same-sex, and group" marriage! :shock: Or not. y:-?

Not to mention that, when I was in elementary school, I spent my summers in Charlotte (where the twins lived) and they both (obviously) worked at a grocery store around the corner from my aunt's beauty shop. They were old, by then, but I saw them many times, and they had special seats for them - they weighed customer's produce items for them. I remember being shocked to find that they had died.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I once knew Siamese Twins who moved to England...so the other one could drive. y:D

-Edward R Murrow

UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Kurieuo wrote:The question everyone needs to answer before talking anything marriage is: "What is marriage?"

People just like to start at the end as though it is just obvious what "marriage" is.
I pretty sure that what I understand marriage to be would not be desired even by Atheists and probably 95% of homosexual couples.
Heck, what I defined as marriage when with my wife out of "wedlock" was rejected by pretty much all Christians I came into contact with.

Once "marriage" is fully defined then discussion can be had.
BUT, I dare say once that is defined then there would be no discussion left to be had.
Marriage is about two people becoming one. Bonding and loving way.