Does Evolution and Science draw people away from God?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Does Evolution and Science draw people away from God?

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
1over137 wrote:I think I have resigned to fix Audie's quotes anymore. The above post, the post here

:?
Yes Hana, I know what you mean. It must be because her posts are evolving. Because, if there were any intelligent creator of those quotes, they would make more sense. :mrgreen:
There is as theory that Im not as intelligent as I like to think I am.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Notice no evidence life evolves and yet it is OK to interpret the evidence in the earth from this perspective even though nobody even knows if it really happens based on evidence.They tell you it is true and you believe them.I don't believe them because I want evidence life evolves but they've got the cart before the horse.
Based on the available evidence, yes life evolves. That's what all the historical evidence says.
If you can provide an alternative explanation of the evidence that can make predictions we can test for and has a better explanatory power than evolution then I am all ears. Until that time ACB I dismiss your assertions, because that's all they are, nothing you have said is based on any fact.
I admire your persistence but dude...

Oh God don't admire it, I keep taking the bait and now I am getting frustrated and saying stupid stuff. John put things back into perspective for me in a pm and I am going to bow out of this thread now for the time being, I think there are much more pressing issues. y>:D<
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

You see people,evolutionists preach evolution is true like a preacher preaching about Jesus but when you point out there is no evidence in science that proves,shows or demonstrates life evolves,you just get the bit about 99% of scientists accept it,so I do too and you should too.

It is faith based which means I'm going to put my faith in God's word that God created the life in this world to produce after its kind like the bible tells us which is backed up by evidence all around us,we see and observe it because it is true and true faith is not blind,read your bible there is substance and evidence to faith if you put your faith in the truth,if not you will not have substance and evidence which is what we get when it comes to life evolving,it is believed by blind faith but the preaching it is true has worked for many,not me though.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

abelcainsbrother wrote:You see people,evolutionists preach evolution is true like a preacher preaching about Jesus but when you point out there is no evidence in science that proves,shows or demonstrates life evolves,you just get the bit about 99% of scientists accept it,so I do too and you should too.

It is faith based which means I'm going to put my faith in God's word that God created the life in this world to produce after its kind like the bible tells us which is backed up by evidence all around us,we see and observe it because it is true and true faith is not blind,read your bible there is substance and evidence to faith if you put your faith in the truth,if not you will not have substance and evidence which is what we get when it comes to life evolving,it is believed by blind faith but the preaching it is true has worked for many,not me though.
We all have faith in God's word but God's word is silent on these matters, however you have put faith in your interpretation of God's word, let's not confuse your interpretation with God's word, or are you saying ACB that you are God? Because it certainly seems that way. y:-?

I however put my trust in God, even if my view on creation is wrong and my interpretation of his word is wrong, I trust that God has it altogether and he will show me all the secrets in due time.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:You see people,evolutionists preach evolution is true like a preacher preaching about Jesus but when you point out there is no evidence in science that proves,shows or demonstrates life evolves,you just get the bit about 99% of scientists accept it,so I do too and you should too.

We all have faith in God's word but God's word is silent on these matters, however you have put faith in your interpretation of God's word, let's not confuse your interpretation with God's word, or are you saying ACB that you are God? Because it certainly seems that way. y:-?

I however put my trust in God, even if my view on creation is wrong and my interpretation of his word is wrong, I trust that God has it altogether and he will show me all the secrets in due time.
I'm saying what I said and I put my faith in God's word which tells us God created the life in this world to produce after its kind,I cannot put my faith in evolution because of blind faith and evolution would violate and make God's word wrong that kinds produce after their kind.

I'm not judging just explaining why and what I put my faith in.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

I'm saying what I said and I put my faith in God's word which tells us God created the life in this world to produce after its kind,I cannot put my faith in evolution because of blind faith and evolution would violate and make God's word wrong that kinds produce after their kind.

I don't feel evolution contradicts God's word as God's word was never intended to be a scientific explanation of the world but rather a theological explanation of why we are here, who God is and what he wants for us. If the Bible was meant to give a scientific explanation of the world then why isn't it more comprehensive, why would an omniscient and omnipotent God give us a book that really is short on any sort of scientific explanation of the world around us. It just makes no sense to say it is a science book or to interpret it as one.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

I don't feel evolution contradicts God's word as God's word was never intended to be a scientific explanation of the world but rather a theological explanation of why we are here, who God is and what he wants for us. If the Bible was meant to give a scientific explanation of the world then why isn't it more comprehensive, why would an omniscient and omnipotent God give us a book that really is short on any sort of scientific explanation of the world around us. It just makes no sense to say it is a science book or to interpret it as one.
A person should never shut his mind to any possibility that he's made some basic mistakes in his beliefs. Faith, wrongly applied, can be a terrible barrier to any real understandings.

So sez Audie.
Morny
Valued Member

Post by Morny »

bippy123 wrote:As far as DNA similarities that can also be explained by intelligent design as a. Designer would be working with similar material when designing .
As far as common descent , we can use the same car analogy . They all look familiar and they all came from a simple prototype design , but they were all designed
This common misunderstanding about common descent has appeared in the last few days in various forms from at least 3 different posters.

Human car designs freely swap sub-components across models. Common descent doesn't. Car models can form multiple nested hierarchies. But the one objective nested hierarchy from biological traits supports common descent. God could have designed species, but did so with the implication of common descent.
bippy123 wrote:And since most if evolution is historical science ,
Common descent rests on the biological traits of living species. Historical evidence is unnecessary.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Morny wrote:
bippy123 wrote:As far as DNA similarities that can also be explained by intelligent design as a. Designer would be working with similar material when designing .
As far as common descent , we can use the same car analogy . They all look familiar and they all came from a simple prototype design , but they were all designed
This common misunderstanding about common descent has appeared in the last few days in various forms from at least 3 different posters.

Human car designs freely swap sub-components across models. Common descent doesn't. Car models can form multiple nested hierarchies. But the one objective nested hierarchy from biological traits supports common descent. God could have designed species, but did so with the implication of common descent.
bippy123 wrote:And since most if evolution is historical science ,
Common descent rests on the biological traits of living species. Historical evidence is unnecessary.
One does not see objections to / problems with ToE that are not based on misrepresentation / misunderstanding of
the science. Same with deep time.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

I don't feel evolution contradicts God's word as God's word was never intended to be a scientific explanation of the world but rather a theological explanation of why we are here, who God is and what he wants for us. If the Bible was meant to give a scientific explanation of the world then why isn't it more comprehensive, why would an omniscient and omnipotent God give us a book that really is short on any sort of science.
Properly understood true science will not contradict God's word and it doesn't which is why I'm an old earth gap theory creationist and secular science bears it out no need to go to AIG unless you doubt Noah's flood maybe just don't cram all of the fossils and evidence of death into just Noah's flood because it is too much evidence of death from Adam and Eve to Noah's flood anyway so that you cannot make it fit. True secular science confirms God's word true.
Last edited by abelcainsbrother on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Sometimes I really wish I could go back to the days when I was a YEC, everything made so much sense and was much simpler.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

neo-x wrote:Sometimes I really wish I could go back to the days when I was a YEC, everything made so much sense and was much simpler.
Neo we've had a recent Ebola scare in America now isn't it awesome that science tells us to do the same things God's word tells us to do like discovering who is contagious and then removing them from camp which is quarantining and it was in the bible long before science told us to quarantine.

bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

neo-x wrote:Sometimes I really wish I could go back to the days when I was a YEC, everything made so much sense and was much simpler.
Neo why does it have to be YEC my friend or evolution ?
Why not explore old earth creationism or ID

Remember in genesis it says that God created the universe in 6 YOMS. YOM in Hebrew can mean either literal day or indefinite time period

http://www.oldearth.org

Many of my fellow Christians make the mistake of reading genesis in only English, not knowing that words in the Hebrew language can have multiple meanings . YOM is still used in lebanese and Levantine Arabic and it is still used in multiple ways as well. This I know for a fact . :)
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

bippy123 wrote:

Remember in genesis it says that God created the universe in 6 YOMS. YOM in Hebrew can mean either literal day or indefinite time period

Many of my fellow Christians make the mistake of reading genesis in only English, not knowing that words in the Hebrew language can have multiple meanings . YOM is still used in lebanese and Levantine Arabic and it is still used in multiple ways as well. This I know for a fact . :)

Why can't we all just take the position of who cares!!! Is it really that important??? y@};-
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
bippy123 wrote:

Why can't we all just take the position of who cares!!! Is it really that important??? y@};-
Truly?
NO, it is NOT.